Rossi fights back, and bites back ?

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Rossi fights back, and bites back ?

Post by weeksy »

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/07/27/mot ... o.html?amp

https://www.gpone.com/en/2020/07/26/mot ... n.html?amp

I'd have thought people like Rossi would have free reign to make whatever changes he wanted, but it seems clearly not... well, until this weekend. Obviously it paid off for him, but whether it will next time or indeed whether he'll be allowed to, i don't know. But i'm still quite surprised it's been what seems to be a challenge to get the settings he wants put on his bike.
Supermofo

Re: Rossi fights back, and bites back ?

Post by Supermofo »

I guess he's now 3rd rider so probably the engineers think it's him that needs to change rather than the bike. You'd have thought he's opinion would still hold some stock though.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:56 am I guess he's now 3rd rider so probably the engineers think it's him that needs to change rather than the bike. You'd have thought he's opinion would still hold some stock though.
What i don't get though is why he's not been allowed, it's his bike, it's his championship, what difference does it make to them if 2 riders use completely different settings. Sure, i get that 2 sets of close data gives better chance for engineers to see what the development/changes are making.. but only if that's actually working for both riders surely ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

There was a great interview with Lin Jarvis. He said the Japanese engineers (who are very clever) have a set of parameters. Other 3 riders worked ok within them so assumed Rossi was the problem. As did most of the public TBH.

Rossi was pushing to try new stuff, so Jarvis 'brokered' a deal.

:)
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Damn it. Only spotted yesterday that it was back on Quest in the UK! Absolutely lovely to see a bit of bike racing. Didn't realise how much we'd missed it!
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Tomcat

Post by Tomcat »

For a long time Yamaha built its bikes to suit Rossi, and fell behind as he passed his peak. He has a particular set of strengths that not all other fast riders share, and not all of them got on with that kind of bike. Sure, they stopped and turned well but when you can't get the bike round and out of the bend as well, you are hampering yourself. It needed a change of world view by Yamaha, to build bikes that suited other riders first and foremost, and you saw how well Quartararo and Vinales were with an open track in front of them. Rossi's days as a rider are numbered so it makes sense not to build the bikes around him, if they can squeeze a few more results out of the old warhorse by tailoring a few specials to him that's just a plus.