Damon come out swinging with new HyperFighter electric super naked range

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

Damon come out swinging with new HyperFighter electric super naked range

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... erfighter/

Canadian electric bike firm Damon have unveiled their new naked bike called the HyperFighter at the CES Las Vegas technology show.

Based on the HyperSport electric superbike first unveiled in 2020, the HyperFighter comes in several versions; the Colossus, Unlimited 20 and Unlimited 15.

All three use the HyperSport’s monocoque chassis and HyperDrive powertrain but the more expensive Colossus version gets premium wheels, single-sided swingarm, Öhlins suspension and Brembo brakes. The Unlimited 15 is ironically limited to the equivalent of around 148bhp rather than the 197bhp of the Unlimited 20 and the Colossus.

Despite the lower power of the Unlimited 15, it still gets the same 147lb.ft of torque, 3-second 0-60mph and 5-second 0-100mph claimed for the other two but loses a little range thanks to the smaller battery (down from 146 to 120 miles).

The larger-battery models can be recharged in 2.5 hours to 90% capacity from a 240V supply, while the smaller variety is slightly quicker-charging, reaching 90% in two hours. Both can hit 80% charge in just 45 minutes via a DC fast charger.

All of these figures are of course claimed by Damon but yet to be verified in the real world and none of the company’s models to date have been delivered or tested. They do have a lot of electric knowhow among their ranks, though, having taken on talent from the defunct Alta Motors and acquiring the IP portfolio of Mission Motors almost two years ago.

The new nakeds get all the novel tech used on the HyperSport sportsbikes including the ability to move the footpeg and handlebars to different riding positions at the touch of a button and the camera equipped 360-degree safety warning system, Co-Pilot.

The HyperFighter Colossus will cost $35,000 (£25,852) in the US with the Unlimited 20 and 15 costing $25,000 (£18,466) and $19,000 (£14,034) respectively. There’s no word yet on UK pricing or availability.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Re: Damon come out swinging with new HyperFighter electric super naked range

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I quite like how it looks, 2 hours recharge is okay.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:21 pm I quite like how it looks, 2 hours recharge is okay.
The only offputting thing for me is the price tag... but i'm firmly in the 'bikes should be single figures' in terms of thousands of pounds...
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

£14k....really? That's surprisingly cheap if they can really do it for that.

EDIT: Lolz, contrasting reactions from me and weeksy. £14k version looks like this. Will look a bit less special once it's actually road legal.

Le_Fromage_Grande

Agree with that, over £10K is a psychological step up in price for me.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 pm £14k....really? That's surprisingly cheap if they can really do it for that.

EDIT: Lolz, contrasting reactions from me and weeksy. £14k version looks like this. Will look a bit less special once it's actually road legal.

That looks like a Lego bike
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:27 pm £14k....really? That's surprisingly cheap if they can really do it for that.
I'm not saying for a second it's not good value for money. But it's not value for me....
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Interesting, it's not a 2 hour charge on the top model as that has a 21kw battery which would take 3 hours. They're also claiming 200 mile range which is 9 mile per kw. That's 2.5x what a car does so that could be possible but as cars are more fuel efficient with normal engines than bikes it'll be interesting to see if they can make it go that far. But it's the first of the EV bikes that looks the part.
Problem is a flat out run to the coast and back is 180 miles for me, I can't imagine having to stop for a top up somewhere en route, I can't see any reason to own an electric bike as a toy. Maybe for a commute but for leisure use on the road nah.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Move nearer the coast :D
It's about 9 miles from here to the coast, only about 2 miles if you want to count sea water as coast.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm none of the company’s models to date have been delivered or tested
Meanwhile, they are pulling in deposits.

Odds on the company going belly-up before delivery?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:26 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:11 pm none of the company’s models to date have been delivered or tested
Meanwhile, they are pulling in deposits.

Odds on the company going belly-up before delivery?
Cynical?
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm Cynical?
Norton?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:37 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:29 pm Cynical?
Norton?
So 1 company. And now we're just tarring others because of that? Harsh?
The Spin Doctor

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 pm So 1 company. And now we're just tarring others because of that? Harsh?
Not at all. When they actually build a production batch and get them delivered to customers AND the battery's highly questionable range / speed equation gets real world tested, I'll give them a big thumbs up.

Right now, their bikes are still what would be known in computing circles as vapourware. Lots of promises, nothing concrete.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Currently they've sold more than $35m of vapourware

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/da ... ypersport/
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

This is not a new thing.

Make a song and dance about your fancy product, collect a load of deposits, then use the money to go and actually build it. Ifs worked that way for years, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
The Spin Doctor

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:08 pm This is not a new thing.

Make a song and dance about your fancy product, collect a load of deposits, then use the money to go and actually build it. Ifs worked that way for years, sometimes it works out and sometimes it doesn't.
And that's my point. This HAS been done for years ,but Damon aren't listing a $500 electric bicycle, but a pretty expensive motorcycle.

The problem is not bolting a couple of wheels to the chassis to create the bike itself, but combining the motor / battery powertrain combo, which currently claims performance and range specs that are based on a yet-to-be-demonstrated battery technology.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Instead of knocking them we should be putting a website up of our own with a few fancy graphics and a new bike 👍
mangocrazy

Post by mangocrazy »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:53 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:45 pm So 1 company. And now we're just tarring others because of that? Harsh?
Not at all. When they actually build a production batch and get them delivered to customers AND the battery's highly questionable range / speed equation gets real world tested, I'll give them a big thumbs up.

Right now, their bikes are still what would be known in computing circles as vapourware. Lots of promises, nothing concrete.
I concur. When I see new faces being added to 'the management team' but no product going out of the door I get nervous. They also seem to have a car maker's mentality/view of what motorcyclists want, as in loads of hi-tech gizmos. But information is notably absent on 'real world' stuff; for instance how much does the fecking thing weigh?

They talk a good game, but fancy mock-ups will only get you so far. And isn't there something perverse about announcing 'new models' to an actually non-existent range? Until you've delivered complete bikes to dealers or individuals they simply don't exist as far as I'm concerned.
There is no cloud, just somebody else's computer.
The Spin Doctor

Couchy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:22 pm Instead of knocking them we should be putting a website up of our own with a few fancy graphics and a new bike 👍
Don't forget the Kickstarter page.