Recommend me a bike?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: Recommend me a bike?

Post by Taipan »

I put an offer in for £5k the one that is £5295, but they'll only drop to £5200 as he has had multiple £5k offers and will hold out for a while as he is selling it on behalf of the (dead) owner's widow. I probably should go for it, but I haven't sold either of my bikes yet. One thing for sure is, there is no shortage of these bikes about and the stock for sale changes almost daily and I'd really rather get one with an Akra. I shall chew it over throughout the day.

I do wonder if I'm getting too precious over this though. It's all well and good buying a low, dry mileage one, but from next week it'll be ridden in all weathers and its depressing watching a mint bike slowly getting ruined...
Last edited by Taipan on Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:15 am I put an offer in for £5k the one that is £5295, but they'll only drop to £5200 as he has had multiple £5k offers and will hold out for a while as he is selling it on behalf of the (dead) owner's widow. I probably should go for it, but I haven't sold either of my bikes yet. One thing for sure is, there is no shortage of these bikes about and the stock for sale changes almost daily and I'd really rather get one with an Akra. I shall chew it over throughout the day.
I've lost track. Which bike?
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Which one is that fella ?

The Akra you like is far nicer than the bendy one Couchy had... i didn't like his one at all. I didn't think you were massively into the exhausts though for it to play a factor in your decision.

IMO i'd rather forgo an Akra if it has a shock in it... I'd say at your weight/size and your riding, you'll swap the shock sooner rather than later.

Just so you know i think it's 19 onwards have an adjustable (if still not great) shock. I've got a non adjustable Wilbers on mine i bought for silly money on Ebay which is loads better than stock was... Couchy had a K-tech which he said was exceptional.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am I've lost track. Which bike?
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am Which one is that fella ?

The Akra you like is far nicer than the bendy one Couchy had... i didn't like his one at all. I didn't think you were massively into the exhausts though for it to play a factor in your decision.

IMO i'd rather forgo an Akra if it has a shock in it... I'd say at your weight/size and your riding, you'll swap the shock sooner rather than later.

Just so you know i think it's 19 onwards have an adjustable (if still not great) shock. I've got a non adjustable Wilbers on mine i bought for silly money on Ebay which is loads better than stock was... Couchy had a K-tech which he said was exceptional.
It's the one below which has the benefit of being really local and I'm too much of a wimp for long distance purchases at this time of year! :oops: I'm not really that bothered about exhausts, although believe me when I say they can be a blessing when riding near London's cyclists and pedestrians, but I just love the sound of these bikes with a can on? Dunno why, but the engine has a glorious soundtrack.

It probably isn't the deal breaker I'm making it out to be, but there are so many MT-07s about, due to their popularity, and I'm in no real rush, it kinda make sense to wait until one of my bikes have sold and hold out for one that does tick all the boxes. TBH heated grips and screen probably make more sense as options than making brrm brrm noises! :roll: :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165263824019 ... 1438.l2649
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Screen is useful, but on the 21, i've got/had the Powerbronze version which for me isn't the best in terms of looks, although it's very useful. But the way it mounts up on 4 big mounts i just can't get on with the looks of it. Heated grips, well yeah, i'm all over them, but as they're less than £100 all in, not really a deal breaker if one comes along at better value without them.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:36 am Screen is useful, but on the 21, i've got/had the Powerbronze version which for me isn't the best in terms of looks, although it's very useful. But the way it mounts up on 4 big mounts i just can't get on with the looks of it. Heated grips, well yeah, i'm all over them, but as they're less than £100 all in, not really a deal breaker if one comes along at better value without them.
I hear you about screens. i stuck one on the 690 and decided I'd bin it as it looked hideous! But then I rode it to see what it would be like and ended up keeping it as it did make a noticeable and welcome difference! That's my trouble really, I want bike sot look nice, but when you use them as year-round commuters, they do need to be at least a little bit practical as well!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:32 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am I've lost track. Which bike?
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:19 am Which one is that fella ?

It's the one below which has the benefit of being really local and I'm too much of a wimp for long distance purchases at this time of year! :oops: I'm not really that bothered about exhausts, although believe me when I say they can be a blessing when riding near London's cyclists and pedestrians, but I just love the sound of these bikes with a can on? Dunno why, but the engine has a glorious soundtrack.

It probably isn't the deal breaker I'm making it out to be, but there are so many MT-07s about, due to their popularity, and I'm in no real rush, it kinda make sense to wait until one of my bikes have sold and hold out for one that does tick all the boxes. TBH heated grips and screen probably make more sense as options than making brrm brrm noises! :roll: :D

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165263824019 ... 1438.l2649
I don't really care. Just bored here in hospital :obscene-birdiedoublered: :banana-wrench:
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:23 am
I don't really care. Just bored here in hospital :obscene-birdiedoublered: :banana-wrench:
I'm bored wfh so am looking at many MT07s. Trying to work out whether to go the bangernomics route or not. I remember getting seriously pissed off ruining my late low milage Rockster, but not sure I want any (more) old nails either! :lol:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Avoid old nails, buy yourself something nice if you can afford it, I wish I''d done it years ago, you deserve it.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Mt07 have a better pillion seat and wider than the 09 by the looks of it, and is a separate unit I think. That one looks very tidy. Last few years I've found Puig make the smartest screens.

What's that power switch thing.?
Yamaha rocket 3
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:46 am Avoid old nails, buy yourself something nice if you can afford it, I wish I''d done it years ago, you deserve it.
I think you're right. A lifetime spent watching the pennies is hard to shake off!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:01 pm Mt07 have a better pillion seat and wider than the 09 by the looks of it, and is a separate unit I think. That one looks very tidy. Last few years I've found Puig make the smartest screens.

No idea, but I'm sure Weeksy will...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:49 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 12:01 pm Mt07 have a better pillion seat and wider than the 09 by the looks of it, and is a separate unit I think. That one looks very tidy. Last few years I've found Puig make the smartest screens.

No idea, but I'm sure Weeksy will...
I'm assuming it's for the heated grips ?

edit
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-HotGr ... 7675.l2557
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Tis mine, all mine. :thumbup:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:23 pm Tis mine, all mine. :thumbup:
it be yours ????? when is it be yours ?

Congratulations big bloke... i can't WAIt for the reports !
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I give it 2 months.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:26 pm
I give it 2 months.
The funny thing is, he doesn''t care.... that's one of his best biking traits... he just buys stuff, tries it and then goes "nah, not for me..." sells it and buys something else...
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:28 pm
Yorick wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:26 pm
I give it 2 months.
The funny thing is, he doesn''t care.... that's one of his best biking traits... he just buys stuff, tries it and then goes "nah, not for me..." sells it and buys something else...
That sounds like somebody else ;)
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Whenever I can get a lift over, probably at the weekend, unless my Son comes in at a reasonable time, but he's been at work since 5 and probably won't be in for an hour or two. I know he would take me, but I'm reluctant to ask.

I haven't told the wife I've bought a 3rd bike yet, and she'll have the hump as I sort of promised I'd sell one first, so I'm guessing she wont be queuing up to take me! :? :lol:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:51 pm
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:25 pm

Whenever I can get a lift over, probably at the weekend, unless my Son comes in at a reasonable time, but he's been at work since 5 and probably won't be in for an hour or two. I know he would take me, but I'm reluctant to ask.

I haven't told the wife I've bought a 3rd bike yet, and she'll have the hump as I sort of promised I'd sell one first, so I'm guessing she wont be queuing up to take me! :? :lol:
Heck if it helps i'll come over :D