So what is 2022 bringing in terms of bikes for you ?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Dickyboy

Re: So what is 2022 bringing in terms of bikes for you ?

Post by Dickyboy »

Gone down to one car in the family so will be getting the GS insured for business use in April, which will help me justify having two bikes as well as make site visits more pleasant. Need to get the Guzzi fettled by August as I think Manx GP is likely to be this yrs only solo trip away. Last but not least I might get to ride dad's old Brough at Shelsley Walsh sometime.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I can't wait to start relearning to ride. I don't have the riding buddies I had in the uk, so think I'll have to 'wing it' for a bit. But have some friends in Limousin that I could go to meet and a bit further on is Demannu who might be up for me visiting and going for some miles.

All based on me getting a summer job :D

I am hopefully seeing a friend this evening who rides a speed triple and is around in the summer (most other people I know here are on cruiser types, not so fab to go up and down the mountain!). Hopefully we can meet up a bit too - I know he's interested in trackdays, so I'll probably try and do one or two near-ish to here just to see how my shoulder/arm holds up

TBF, basically, I am just really happy that I'll be riding this year. It makes me smile to think about it :D Weird that it's going to be on such a different bike (physically the smallest I've ever ridden!!! And quite possibly the slowest!) but I suspect that it's a good one to improve my skills again. No point rushing out to find a big powerful bike when I am aware I've probably lost a lot of skills and ability - and out here I'm going to be learning everything on the other side of the road!!

Can't. Bloody. Wait. :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde: :bblonde:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

When my finger recovers I want to ride the track over on Gran Canaria in March. If that goes well, the missus wants us to to do Portimao or Jerez.

Also want to do another islands tour, but taking the girlies with us.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

No idea really. I dont see me changing the Ducati for the foreseeable future and as long as the Fazer keeps running ok for work that will do me for now. Obviously nay problems and that might be replaced.

Apart from that, get through my Instructors tickets, start doing DAS training and a trackday or 2. Might even try and talk the missus into a trip away depending on travel rules
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

5 days in wales in June - I’m organising for a group of 4/5 - low key mixed with a bit of walking - also want to put some long days on the CBR.
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Jody wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 am I doubt I'll be touching my 690 until I get to Biarritz in April, then I need to get it French registered so I can sell it over the summer. It's got 20,000+ Miles on it which scares off UK folks but the French are not afraid of high mileage. I'm confident on making a good mark up on this bike which will enable me to buy a better one in the autumn when I'm back in the UK !
Is your bike in France? If you register it, will you get hit with (the equivalent of) VAT and import duties because of B****t?

It has put a dent in my plans to import a bike from the UK, as the added cost means I will be better off buying from somewhere in the EU than the UK.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:35 am I'm not feeling any need to add to the bikes I already have right now,
You mean this wasn't you?

https://superbike-news.co.uk/honda-rc21 ... ld-record/

I thought it had Iccy investment written all over it.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:26 am Way too rich for me, that's a gamble IMO, I don't know anything about those bikes but having that much tied up in a vehicle is a big risk.
If I was going to drop that sort of money then it would be on a house. On that bike you're gambling purely on capital gain and the asset itself isn't very versatile, but with a house it's probably more stable in terms of capital gain, it could be rented out, or you could live in it.

Whoever bought that has either got big bollocks and financed it, or they're a multi-millionaire anyway.
There's no gamble in that at all. But it's unlikely to make a mint either.... it's as safe as your money in the bank and may make fractionally more or less in the next 5 years... but i don't see that one as a risk in any way at all.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:34 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:27 am
There's no gamble in that at all. But it's unlikely to make a mint either.... it's as safe as your money in the bank and may make fractionally more or less in the next 5 years... but i don't see that one as a risk in any way at all.
Right now today, maybe you're right, he might get his money back tomorrow.

In a financial crash where everyone is scrambling for liquidity then he could lose a good chunk of it. It happened in the 1990's when prices for exotic cars had peaked in the previous decade and then crashed as the economy started to falter. It's happened with houses too more recently, but in the great asset gamble houses are more versatile.
Sure.. if the world explodes he'll lose it all...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:49 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 8:38 am
Sure.. if the world explodes he'll lose it all...
It doesn't need the world to explode mate, it just needs one those events that we see every decade, recession, financial crash, covid.

He wouldn't lose it all and if he's rich then he'll just tuck it away until things pick up, but I'd worry about it, so I wouldn't take the risk unless it was an emotional purchase, i.e. a dream bike/car/etc.
But without dragging the thread out of context, if he's bought property it'll do the same too as it's likely to be a worldwide thing rather than the arse randomly falling out of the exotic motorcycle market, it's not making money in the bank either... so he's on a no-lose in terms of investment.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:04 am By the way, the exotic vehicle market could crash quite independently of world events, depending on fashion - do you reckon prices of CX500's will hold once the hipster fashion moves on?
the Honda ain't a CX500. Not by a long stretch. Certain bikes are outside of fashion based markets... Some of them are just expensive because they were initially expensive and very very rare... I think even 10, 15, 30 years the Honda will do fine in the same way an E-type Jag or a Ferrari Dino or whatever will do. It's rare enough, exclusive enough and desirable enough that someone will buy it and someone with big pockets will.

CX500s, RD350s, Carb R1s.... they i could see drop because even though they're not common, there's enough of them about that they can still be found elsewhere.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

A house always has a value. Fancy cars and bikes are only worth what somebody will pay for it.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Whysub wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:24 pm
Jody wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:41 am I doubt I'll be touching my 690 until I get to Biarritz in April, then I need to get it French registered so I can sell it over the summer. It's got 20,000+ Miles on it which scares off UK folks but the French are not afraid of high mileage. I'm confident on making a good mark up on this bike which will enable me to buy a better one in the autumn when I'm back in the UK !
Is your bike in France? If you register it, will you get hit with (the equivalent of) VAT and import duties because of B****t?

It has put a dent in my plans to import a bike from the UK, as the added cost means I will be better off buying from somewhere in the EU than the UK.
Yes. The Monster cost me 200£ but I'll have to pay import tax of 20% of the market value that French Customs put on it. Not the price I paid for it :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: