MCN : Maeving RM1: British-built electric 'boardtracker' offers an alternative take on urban mobility

Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

MCN : Maeving RM1: British-built electric 'boardtracker' offers an alternative take on urban mobility

Post by weeksy »

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/new ... eving-rm1/

The Maeving RM1 is a new small-capacity electric motorcycle assembled in Coventry which combines modern removable battery tech with 1920s boardtracker styling.

Chances are you’ve never heard of Maeving, but their 16-strong staff are predominantly ex-Triumph and they also claim to have sold out their first run of 100 machines after launching their website publicly at the beginning of November.

With a top speed of 45mph (or 28mph if you’re 16) from its Bosch hub-driven motor, the £4995 RM1 comes with a single removable battery, with a second available for an extra £995.

Both batteries can be used concurrently, with one housed inside the faux petrol tank and another directly below. The use of both boosts the motor’s performance from 4.5 kW to 5.7. The batteries can be charged via a standard domestic socket in under four hours.

"We love this removable battery concept, and we’ll stick with that whilst we wait for the charging infrastructure to improve," Maeving co-founder Seb Inglis-Jones told MCN. "Next year we will be starting work on a full-size bike as well. That’s very much waiting for charging infrastructure to improve, too."

The batteries and frame are produced by Chinese firms Greenway and YCM respectively, but 65% of the components come from the UK and the bikes are screwed together at Maeving’s Binley, Coventry unit.

"We went out to China, looked at the kind of bikes out there and thought removable batteries were an amazing concept – but we wanted to do it in a British way," Seb continued.

Away from the batteries, a metal tube running across the left of the bike routes cables to and from the dual battery controller and mimics the exhaust header pipe of a single-cylinder engine.

"When we were thinking about the original concept sketches right at the beginning, we were thinking about what era of motorcycle made sense for producing a light, manoeuvrable bike," Seb continued. "We went right back to the turn-of-the-century, when they were converting bicycle frames into petrol frames."

Adding to that design brief are wire wheels, twin shocks and a single analogue clock. The bikes are only available via the firm’s website (maeving.com), with servicing packages available online and the work carried out at your door.
Mussels

Re: MCN : Maeving RM1: British-built electric 'boardtracker' offers an alternative take on urban mobility

Post by Mussels »

I like it, simplicity of an e-bike but a bit faster. Not sure if I'd have one as it's too slow for out of town and for town only riding I'd rather an e-bike as I could use cycle paths and not worry about motorbike laws.
Yorick

Re: MCN : Maeving RM1: British-built electric 'boardtracker' offers an alternative take on urban mobility

Post by Yorick »

Cool idea, but the brown seat instantly kills it for me.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Don't like the style, nor the top speed, but removable batteries and 4 hour charging from a domestic socket sounds like a good concept. Any idea of the practical range?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Cousin Jack wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:59 pm Don't like the style, nor the top speed, but removable batteries and 4 hour charging from a domestic socket sounds like a good concept. Any idea of the practical range?
A wild guess comparing battery sizes to what I had on the e-bikes I reckon a good 30 miles from one battery, so a double battery would easily get you from the M25 to the city and back but only on slow roads.
G.P

Post by G.P »

Don't like the name, just looks wrong on the page!
Range is allegedly 40-80 miles. assume it 40 for the 45mph version and 80 for the 28mph version?
I like the look.
Personally I'd get an Ebike and de-restrict it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Speed makes it comparable with a moped, but the price is steep.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

If this thing costs £5k I wonder how much a non-hipster one is.

TBF probably not that much at this stage. The majority of the cost is in the drive tech. However people see a £5k sort-of-pushbike and they expect it to look like it costs £5k, thus 'they' sink a bit more cost into making it look a bit fancier.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

£6K for one with two batteries. That's great, 45mph would do me on my commute as I have maybe 1 mile of NSL area.

I like it
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Don't super soco already do these and cheaper I think. 28 mph is dangerous. Absolute shite. 👎
Yamaha rocket 3
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

I like the general idea (removable batteries and not needing to do full motorway speed) but feel there's improvements to be made if the dropped the motorbike look a bit.
Nowadays there's a lot of people blatting about on lecky scooters and if they're just nipping across town they don't need an engine. Some are pretty dangerous but thats the people and not specifically the mode of transport.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Those E scooters for hire are actually alright. You can't just make them go, you have to scoot up to speed a bit before you get any electric juice.

Brakes are beyond shit though!
Skub

Post by Skub »

45 flat out?

No use to me. An expensive trinket.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I'm behind any progression in this area, but with this one, I don't see any great advantage over a good eBike tbh. I do really like the idea of interchangeable batteries and welcome development in this area. Battery stations, as well as petrol stations, makes a lot of sense!