maccecht

At least they will be quieter

Post by maccecht »

Felix

Re: At least they will be quieter

Post by Felix »

Thought they had an electric model already
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

maccecht wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 10:30 pm Likely more reliable :banana-dance: as well

https://www.carandbike.com/news/harley- ... es-2675214

Can't see the struggling to be badboy IT bods and accountants buying into them TBH.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

What will they call it- the “Battery Boy?”
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

JackyJoll wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:36 am What will they call it- the “Battery Boy?”
Torchy
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I was thinking about this idly the other day.

Harley have traded forever on their Harleyness. As I said on another thread, gripping onto the past super tight rather than moving with the times. The past has always been their USP.

Well guess what's happening? The people who actually GAS about that past are all dying off.

So now Harley have an outdated product range that can't compare with what you can buy elsewhere (sound familiar to any old Triumph fans?) Their only hope is to try and make something modern, but it's pretty hard to catch up with all the people who've been incrementally moving with the times for the last 40 years.

So what do you do? You take advantage of a huge seismic shift thats going on and you attempt to leapfrog straight over everyone else an into the brave new world of EVs.

Every EV bike you can buy now is first gen or pretty close to it, hence they're a little bit pants. Harley are starting from the same place as everyone else now.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

When I was in the UK in the summer (after 18 months hiatus) it was noticeable the uptake in EVs, particularly Tesla's which surprised me as they're at the pricuer end I would imagine.

So yeah, traditionally fuelled vehicles are officially a dieing breed and bike manufacturers need to persuade us to buy their E-bikes. It seems like car purchasing is already there so why not?
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:00 am particularly Tesla's which surprised me as they're at the pricuer end I would imagine.
Yup lots of EVs about in the UK mainly Tesla as you say, but whilst pricey it doesn't surprise me. I remember about 5 years ago taking my daughter to Gymnastics and being struck by the fact mine was the only standard type saloon car in the car park. I reckon only 1 car in that car park would have cost less than 30k (other than my old shitter) most were less than 2 year old BMW/Audi/Merc etc SUVs and 4x4s.

Most are on lease or pcp. To be fair my boss has just got a Tesla 2nd hand nearly new on lease. He was paying something like 280 for a Honda Civic and swapped to about 320 a month for a Tesla but since has saved loads in fuel costs so I can see it makes sense to him.

My mate was trying to get our work to sign up to a new government scheme under which he'd be able to lease an ID3 for about 280 a month. If work did sign up I'd be over that like a rash. New car with massive fuel saving for 80 a month more than I'm paying for my current car loan on my 2016 Mazda 3
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

To be fair I'm miles away from buying -any- car new (although I'd have one on someone else's dollar in a heartbeat). It'll take a while for EVs to make it down to my bangernomics price point.

I've not had my first hire car EV yet. I wonder if that says much about reliability and recharge infrastructure - or reluctance to upgrade the fleet?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

A lot of yoof aren't as brand obsessed as previous generations. A lot are more ecocentric and leccy vehicles are associated with clean air and that trumps most things. With a lot of 3 bed family homes in the south east costing £4-500k, having a £50k+ leccy car on the drive is par for the course.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:03 am To be fair I'm miles away from buying -any- car new (although I'd have one on someone else's dollar in a heartbeat). It'll take a while for EVs to make it down to my bangernomics price point.

I've not had my first hire car EV yet. I wonder if that says much about reliability and recharge infrastructure - or reluctance to upgrade the fleet?
Hertz were going to take 100000 Teslas, and half were going to uber. Dont know what stage that deal is at.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Supermofo wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:51 am Yup lots of EVs about in the UK mainly Tesla as you say, but whilst pricey it doesn't surprise me. I remember about 5 years ago taking my daughter to Gymnastics and being struck by the fact mine was the only standard type saloon car in the car park. I reckon only 1 car in that car park would have cost less than 30k (other than my old shitter) most were less than 2 year old BMW/Audi/Merc etc SUVs and 4x4s.
Next time you're home for a Hermes delivery, check out the car the courier is driving. At the three depots I know of, I reckon at least half of the cars are younger than 3 years old and are BMW 1 Series/X1/X2, Merc A Class, Range Rover Evoque or Ford Kugas. They all have 'Hermes Scars' tbf.
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

Taipan wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 am A lot of yoof aren't as brand obsessed as previous generations. A lot are more ecocentric and leccy vehicles are associated with clean air and that trumps most things. With a lot of 3 bed family homes in the south east costing £4-500k, having a £50k+ leccy car on the drive is par for the course.
The sub-30 year olds I work with either don't start driving until in their late 20s/early 30s and only because they've moved out 'to the sticks' (Sevenoaks/Tonbridge area for example) from London suburbs and *have* to drive because of the lack of public transport (comparatively speaking). They're only interested in getting from A to B, they don't really care how and driving to them isn't an enjoyable experience so many can't wait for driverless cars.

In fairness, my comments are based on people who live and work in London where owning a car is a more of a pain in the arse so not indicative in any way.
Horse

Post by Horse »

inewham wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:50 am My kids are like that, one has no interest, the other only kept his car a year and hardly ever drove it. Just not interested.
One of the big driving schools has just announced that they are getting a load of EVs. Of those who want to drive, many are not wanting to learn on ic geared cars.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:43 am

In fairness, my comments are based on people who live and work in London where owning a car is a more of a pain in the arse so not indicative in any way.
My kids are definitely the Uber generation.
If I lived in a city I'd be tempted to bin the car - rely on home deliveries and taxis if I wanted to get anywhere.
Different in the sticks though - public transport out here makes you want to cry and I don't think it's even possible to raise a taxi
Beancounter

Post by Beancounter »

DefTrap wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:56 pm
Beancounter wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:43 am

My kids are definitely the Uber generation.
If I lived in a city I'd be tempted to bin the car - rely on home deliveries and taxis if I wanted to get anywhere.
Different in the sticks though - public transport out here makes you want to cry and I don't think it's even possible to raise a taxi
Agreed. When I lived in Deptford and Bromley the car and bike were only used for going to see my folks in Suffolk. Where I live now, the closest bus stop is only a 15 minute walk away but the frequency, route of the bus and costs make it an unattractive option - and I'm not even in the sticks.