Back protector now mandatory...

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
dern

Re: Back protector now mandatory...

Post by dern »

dern wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:29 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:43 am Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..
Have emailed MSV to ask about air bags.
They came back to me and said that any airbag jacket that has an integrated back protector like the Helite Turtle 2 will be fine.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

dern wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:33 am
dern wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:29 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:43 am Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..
Have emailed MSV to ask about air bags.
They came back to me and said that any airbag jacket that has an integrated back protector like the Helite Turtle 2 will be fine.
I don;t know much about the suits as to what they do or don't have.

I'm guessing @Alan PBTD will have to do some reading up though !
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:43 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm There are no stats to say how good back protectors are.
Dunno about that, i bet there's loads.

It's probably the reason that chest protectors (and back) are mandatory in MotoGP for example.

Simple fact is, loads on here do trackday, loads on here WILL do trackdays next year...

Therefore, loads on here will be subject to the rules

Of these people, some already have them fitted in their leathers, some already have an aftermarket, some may not have one at all.

Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..

But all of them need to know what the criteria are to pass and be allowed out. because you can't risk turning up and being turned away.

That's why this discussion is interesting.
I know. But when folk say you need to be an idiot not to wear one, things need putting in perspective.

My estimate in safety out of 10.

For track use.

10 helmet.
8 gloves
8 boots
8 knee protectors.
6 elbow protectors.
4 shoulder protectors
3 shin protectors
2 back protectors
Last edited by Yorick on Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm There are no stats to say how good back protectors are.

It's probably the reason that chest protectors (and back) are mandatory in MotoGP for example.

Simple fact is, loads on here do trackday, loads on here WILL do trackdays next year...

Of these people, some already have them fitted in their leathers, some already have an aftermarket, some may not have one at all.

Some will have airbag leathers. They don't wear back protectors, so is the airbag allowed the position of 'back protector' even though technically it's not..

But all of them need to know what the criteria are to pass and be allowed out. because you can't risk turning up and being turned away.

I know. But when folk say you need to be an idiot not to wear one, things need putting in perspective.

My estimate in safety out of 10

10 helmet.
8 gloves
8 boots
8 knee protectors.
6 elbow protectors.
4 shoulder protectors
3 shin protectors
2 back protectors
Yes but different people think differently. I don't always wear boots... often trainers... my jacket is lacking in most bits of armour....

You could argue you could do without a hand... but shattering your spine is more drastic ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

11 Not falling off in the first place.
Skub

Post by Skub »

My logic would dictate,your head and spine are two areas worth protecting above all others.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:39 am
Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:38 am

My estimate in safety out of 10

10 helmet.
8 gloves
8 boots
8 knee protectors.
6 elbow protectors.
4 shoulder protectors
3 shin protectors
2 back protectors
Yes but different people think differently. I don't always wear boots... often trainers... my jacket is lacking in most bits of armour....

You could argue you could do without a hand... but shattering your spine is more drastic ?
Sorry. My list was track based. I rarely wear leathers nowadays. Except when I go with the really fast lads.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Noggin wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:04 pm I've broken my back twice
This is getting silly now where I could tell who's posted without evening seeing the username :lol:

When I was a kids my folks always called me accident prone. If only they'd known!
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Personally speaking having seen the protection both a back and chest protector can provide I'd certainly mark them miles more then a 2 and personally know one rider who owes his life to said protection. I often wear my Knox BP on the Harley - and sounds silly but certainly have got it on for longer rides.
Bring the thread back to a even keel we are seeking further clarification on this point but at this stage I don't think the actual qualification of what constitutes a BP is in question but weather the ride is wearing ''one'' when on track at a particular time. I'm of the opinion, when questioning what is and what isn't a BP one should always wear the best available.
I feel - and having spoken to colleagues at NL we - as TDO's have to come up with a simple / fast / efficient procedure of policing / enforcing this ruling so - again ideally they can be checked every time a rider enters the circuit. And further on the Marshall's / Staff concerned are fully trained / made aware to implement this ruling. If, after a incident situation, a rider is found not to be wearing one and all all the pre stated risk assements / procedures have been followed and basically the riders ''forgot'' any PL would fall on the rider and not the TDO.
@ PBTD's we have come up with an idea and are working with said people to identify any potential pitfalls. The informative / notice of this ruling is the simple bit.
So going back to the beginning I'm interested in what u lot think could be a system for checking you've got one on. Broom handles are exempt...But our lady Marshall's are all up for u lot getting to the Assembly Area topless..
dern

Post by dern »

I've no idea how you could achieve this given some of them are built in to jackets. Maybe it's only something you can do on trust by saying that you know it's your responsibility to wear one and that you accept that responsibility and indicate that you do when you put the wristband on. Can't see how you can do it otherwise.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Alas...''Maybe it's only something you can do on trust '' - We ''trust'' riders to make sure their bikes pass the noise limits but in the real world...

And unfortunately ''trust'' isn't recognized when the Judge looks at it !
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Alan PBTD wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:51 am Personally speaking having seen the protection both a back and chest protector can provide I'd certainly mark them miles more then a 2 and personally know one rider who owes his life to said protection. I often wear my Knox BP on the Harley - and sounds silly but certainly have got it on for longer rides.
Bring the thread back to a even keel we are seeking further clarification on this point but at this stage I don't think the actual qualification of what constitutes a BP is in question but weather the ride is wearing ''one'' when on track at a particular time. I'm of the opinion, when questioning what is and what isn't a BP one should always wear the best available.
I feel - and having spoken to colleagues at NL we - as TDO's have to come up with a simple / fast / efficient procedure of policing / enforcing this ruling so - again ideally they can be checked every time a rider enters the circuit. And further on the Marshall's / Staff concerned are fully trained / made aware to implement this ruling. If, after a incident situation, a rider is found not to be wearing one and all all the pre stated risk assements / procedures have been followed and basically the riders ''forgot'' any PL would fall on the rider and not the TDO.
@ PBTD's we have come up with an idea and are working with said people to identify any potential pitfalls. The informative / notice of this ruling is the simple bit.
So going back to the beginning I'm interested in what u lot think could be a system for checking you've got one on. Broom handles are exempt...But our lady Marshall's are all up for u lot getting to the Assembly Area topless..
Have they seen us without tops on ????

Does it change how leathers are removed in an accident ?
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I'd wager that they are more useful on the roads .
They are useful when you hit a stationary object like road furniture and cars etc.
Not a regularly thing on track.
dern

Post by dern »

Alan PBTD wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:28 pm Alas...''Maybe it's only something you can do on trust '' - We ''trust'' riders to make sure their bikes pass the noise limits but in the real world...

And unfortunately ''trust'' isn't recognized when the Judge looks at it !
In that case a baseball bat to the small of the back would probably incentivise 😀
Skub

Post by Skub »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:58 pm I'd wager that they are more useful on the roads .
They are useful when you hit a stationary object like road furniture and cars etc.
They could be useful in classes with a big entry. We saw quite a few riders this year falling off mid pack and being hit by other bikes.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yorick wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:58 pm I'd wager that they are more useful on the roads .
Or something hits you, which it very much can do on track, if there are other riders nearby, or even when there aren't- I was wearing a full length Knox race BP when I , err, slipped off the 390 at Pembrey this year and the little minx hit me in the back on our way along the tarmac and broke 2 of my ribs .
I of course don't know if it would have done more damage if I hadn't been wearing the BP, but I am 99.9% sure it wouldn't have done less...
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:49 pm

They could be useful in classes with a big entry. We saw quite a few riders this year falling off mid pack and being hit by other bikes.
In all honesty i have seen a few fatalities during my race involvement and all bar 1 was a fallen rider being run over by a following rider. I know the 3 i was involved there and then with all had back protectors on. None however had chest armour which is becoming a more recent thing (now mandatory in top flight racing) and all had injuries to the chest and/or neck that caused the fatal injury. The back protector will save some injury but wont solve all problems
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:17 pm
Skub wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:49 pm

In all honesty i have seen a few fatalities during my race involvement and all bar 1 was a fallen rider being run over by a following rider. I know the 3 i was involved there and then with all had back protectors on. None however had chest armour which is becoming a more recent thing (now mandatory in top flight racing) and all had injuries to the chest and/or neck that caused the fatal injury. The back protector will save some injury but wont solve all problems
There's only one way to solve all the injury problems on track. But we none of us want that!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Supermofo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:33 am
This is getting silly now where I could tell who's posted without evening seeing the username :lol:

When I was a kids my folks always called me accident prone. If only they'd known!
My nickname was Calamity Jane :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, that was the polite version. Family regularly called me stupid for being clumsy/falling!!

Weirdly, the first back break was horse riding and yet my mother would prefer I ride a horse than a motorbike (or do any other fun stuff!!). Maybe she thinks I can't break it twice due to horses or something!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Noggin wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:19 pm
Supermofo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:33 am

My nickname was Calamity Jane :lol: :lol: :lol: Well, that was the polite version. Family regularly called me stupid for being clumsy/falling!!

Aw. That's so unfair.
They were very cruel