Wemoto

Anything you like about motorbikes
wull

Wemoto

Post by wull »

Did anyone else receive the email from them about the data breach? States it was only email address, first and last name but no bank details etc.

Making me think twice about ordering parts which I’m wanting to do, should I worry or just go ahead and order.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Wemoto

Post by weeksy »

no used them for 20 years... so no... no mail.

It's not uncommon, loads of companies have had similar, i still use them
wull

Post by wull »

I use them all the time, great for bits like fork seals, brake rebuilt kits etc, all those kind of things.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I got that email even though I have only ever bought from their shop which is a couple of miles down the road. I must have an account with them that I have forgotten about. Great company and I like doing business with them.
Lockdown refugee
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

if they've already been hacked and your details are out there, what's the risk of using them again?
wull

Post by wull »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:41 am if they've already been hacked and your details are out there, what's the risk of using them again?
I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking, are they open to another breach, more info this time.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:48 am
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:41 am if they've already been hacked and your details are out there, what's the risk of using them again?
I don’t know, that’s why I’m asking, are they open to another breach, more info this time.
the breach isn't like something from Impossible Mission where someone hacked in and stole secrets mostly likely. It's more than likely an internal mistake where someone did/sent/backed up/lost something that may or may not have been accessible by someone else if it were ever found and noticed.

e.g Lost a laptop which had data on and wasn't encrypted, or a backup tape (if used) was misplaced, you know, stuff like that.

The odds of someone having a complete list of peoples information and are now data-logging every keystroke and transaction from every user is just not happening.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:16 am Did anyone else receive the email from them about the data breach? States it was only email address, first and last name but no bank details etc.

Making me think twice about ordering parts which I’m wanting to do, should I worry or just go ahead and order.
Probably get an increase in spam, at worst. Just change your email password every few months to be on the safe side. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wull

Post by wull »

Website isn’t working very well. Every time I want to go to my vehicle to order parts it won’t load.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

wull wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:16 am Did anyone else receive the email from them about the data breach? States it was only email address, first and last name but no bank details etc.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You'll probably be horrified just how often your email and phone numbers have been exposed by data breaches.

As the Count says, update passwords, and my tip - don't reuse passwords across sites - it's easy enough to maintain secure passwords these days.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:32 am

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

You'll probably be horrified just how often your email and phone numbers have been exposed by data breaches.

As the Count says, update passwords, and my tip - don't reuse passwords across sites - it's easy enough to maintain secure passwords these days.
I did that haveibeenpwned thing on a range of emails, new, old active, inactive and everything was compromised one way or another.
My current email has been spam free for a long time, suddenly, 25-30 spams overnight (soon after joining here :D but I think it's down to a small, outdoor clothing company that I set up a discount card with).
Time for yet another Gmail account...
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am I did that haveibeenpwned thing on a range of emails, new, old active, inactive and everything was compromised one way or another.
My current email has been spam free for a long time, suddenly, 25-30 spams overnight (soon after joining here :D but I think it's down to a small, outdoor clothing company that I set up a discount card with).
As if anyone would actually pay me for your email addresses :D
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:37 am
Count Steer wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:36 am I did that haveibeenpwned thing on a range of emails, new, old active, inactive and everything was compromised one way or another.
As if anyone would actually pay me for your email addresses :D
:D I don't think they pay any more, just scrape 'em out of the server farm. But, examination of the spam points the finger firmly at the clothing company. I don't think they sold them, they were just lifted from a poorly secured server.

Heck, if LinkedIn got their database busted into, what chance have the little guys got?
Voltaire
Skub

Post by Skub »

I haven't had spam emails in years. The last I recall was an old outlook express account which had loads every day. I was wanking more then,if that's a factor. :thumbup:

I've bought stuff recently from Wemoto,but no security email.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

I know when I enter the Bennetts rewards competitions that I'm effectively asking to be spammed but most of it's harmless rubbish so never mind
wull

Post by wull »

I must have signed up to something recently using my other email account because the spam is ridiculous.

The email stated the 10th of December for the potential breach.

Going to put an order in anyway.