Back protector now mandatory...

Discussions on your upcoming trackdays, discusions on WSB, MotoGP, BSB or even F1.
weeksy
Site Admin

Back protector now mandatory...

Post by weeksy »

From 1 March 2022 back protectors will become essential for those wishing to ride on track, in the same way that front brake lever guards are required for your pride and joy, we believe you should ride with the best available equipment to reduce the risks of serious injury if an accident were to occur.

Please also note that in an update to circuit and insurance regulations, from the same date, a motorcycle licence will now be required at all circuits; however at Anglesey, Croft, Lydden and Mallory Park we will accept restricted/A1 licences as well as any valid ACU discipline licence as proof of competency. At MSV circuits, as has been the case for a number of years, they will continue to require either a full DVLA motorcycle licence or a valid ACU Road Race licence.
At this stage i don't know who'll be enforcing this and who won't, but if it's anything like the Brake lever then it's possible all TDOs will end up enforcing it.
It doesn't however specify who's checking it and to what level they do or don't need to pass to be accepted.
Taff

Re: Back protector now mandatory...

Post by Taff »

I think there's 2 points to consider.

1. I expect the vast majority of TD riders will use a back protector anyway so there's limited change.

2. If a rider signs up to the t&c that a back protector is to be worn, doesn't wear one and then has an accident, I expect the onus is on the rider. The TD organiser has taken reasonable steps to ensure the safety of the people on track.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I always wear a back protector on track, a fancy Dainese one
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've never worn one. Except on enduro rides.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Some folks will find their leathers a little more snug now!
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Mine has had the elastic re-stitched where the medics cut it off.

Wouldn't go out on track without one.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

We're in on this likewise MSV and NL
Taff's right in both points.
We looked at it donkeys ago but it got binned because of operational complexities. So the main challenge is to come up with a simple / fast system to check that the rider is wearing one at each particular time - i.e. ''each time they go on track''.

We have some idea's but will be interested in what u lot come up - with so over to you !

ta
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Alan PBTD wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:26 pm We're in on this likewise MSV and NL
We looked at it donkeys ago but it got binned because of operational complexities. So the main challenge is to come up with a simple / fast system to check that the rider is wearing one at each particular time - i.e. ''each time they go on track''.

We have some idea's but will be interested in what u lot come up - with so over to you !

ta
I guess whacking them with a broom handle won't be allowed ?
Le_Fromage_Grande

ta
Attach a tag that sticks out the top of the riders leathers, it would nice to be only checked at the start of the day
Honda Owner
PitaNaanRoti

Post by PitaNaanRoti »

ta
Not hard - they check you as you go out in pairs from pit lane, so "tap tap" on the back takes seconds and if there's no confirmation then the rider pulls to the side.
Simple.
Anyway - only an idiot would go out on a track (or the road tbh) without something that will help prevent them becoming a paraplegic.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm only an idiot would go out on a track (or the road tbh) without something that will help prevent them becoming a paraplegic.
That'll make me one then... My Helds had a back protector but my RICHA suit didn't come with one. I tried one at Silverstone but it wasn't happening due to space/size.

I've since sold the RICHA suit and the BKS i've replaced it with doesn't have one as standard, but i'm pretty sure i'll get one in if needed.

Weirdly, when i go out MTBing i'm more likely to wear one than i am on the motorbike.

On the road i don't have one in my jackets.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Be funny as if u had a new Marshall and they went ''Tap Tap'' on the back of an Air Suit and it went off....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Alan PBTD wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:56 pm Be funny as if u had a new Marshall and they went ''Tap Tap'' on the back of an Air Suit and it went off....
I rekon as it exploded up, both the rider and the marashall would both piss their pants with shock !
Le_Fromage_Grande

It also leads to the question "What constitutes a back protector?" my TT Leathers from the early 80s had a thin piece of foam to protect your back, would this count (I hope not)
Honda Owner
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

It also leads to the question "What constitutes a back protector?" my TT Leathers from the early 80s had a thin piece of foam to protect your back, would this count (I hope not)
is quite right - and another reason why the idea was binned - we were asked to obtain the safety certificates / TUV / BSI etc for the BP - wonderful Insurance people didn't realize the complexities of their statement.

I think at this stage it's just to enforce the riders wearing ''one'' - whatever ''one'' may be. I know they've had similar challenges with Air Suits at BSB and not helped with a recent trend of people wearing air vests under their regular leathers and thinking they are fine and saved quite a few bob..
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Remember to buy a load to hire out to people who turn up without one.
dern

Post by dern »

I was at Brands for a day at the end of last year and the lads in the other side of the garage rode for more than half a day before the marshals noticed that they didn't have brake lever guards.

Wouldn't ride without one, never mind go on track. Having said that I now use a helite vest instead.
Horse

Post by Horse »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm Anyway - only an idiot would go out on a track (or the road tbh) without something that will help prevent them becoming a paraplegic.
Many back injuries result from impacts to the head, landing on the coccyx, or side impacts to the shoulders.

So 'might' prevent would be the optimistic description.

Do you wear a Leatt brace? An airbag jacket? Where do you call 'enough!'?
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Le_Fromage_Grande

My own back injury came from landing on my coccyx, a back protector wouldn't have helped, some sort of armoured pants might have.
Honda Owner
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

PitaNaanRoti wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 1:48 pm
Anyway - only an idiot would go out on a track (or the road tbh) without something that will help prevent them becoming a paraplegic.
I've broken my back twice - neither time had anything to do with motorbikes!! But both times (horse riding first time and a static line parachute jump the second time) the injury was a stable compression fracture. Ok, not the possibly paraplegic outcome that you suggest, but a back protector wouldn't have prevented either

I've not work a back protector on track except (I think) for racing. Mostly because it has always been hard enough to get leathers to actually fit well without then trying to get a back protector in them as well!!!!

I would like to - I've got one I bought for skiing, but haven't used for years (bought back when I started out and wanted to learn all the stupid stuff!!) and a decent bike one.

Probably should wear one for skiing and for biking, but of the falls/crashes I've had, so far it wouldn't have helped!! (I know, that isn't to say it wouldn't in the future!!) :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: