Ear plugs - moulded

Anything you like about motorbikes
Count Steer

Re: Ear plugs - moulded

Post by Count Steer »

Tinnitus? What symptoms are you getting? Hissing (a bit like when you put your ear to a shell at the seaside? Whistling?
If you hold your nose and swallow, what happens?
Anything happen when you yawn?
If you gently press two fingers directly below the ear, in the groove behind the jawbone and massage - any ache, sounds etc?

I'm sure the doc'll get you sorted if it is an infection or wax. The problem with putting stuff in your lugholes is if the issue is on the other side of the eardrum...which is where I'm guessing it is, but I I'm not a doctor or an earologist. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wull

Post by wull »

More like the whistling noise, maybe it is a bit like the hissing noise, it’s hard to tell. Sometimes when I’m eating or swallowing like when you swallow your saliva I get a weird sensation in my left ear, it’s hard to explain, like there’s something in it, like when your head ears are under water. Sometimes when I yawn I get it as well, not the usual where sound would become clearer like when they pop slightly, another feeling, it’s so hard to explain it, it feels like there’s something there applying pressure.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

wull wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:06 pm More like the whistling noise, maybe it is a bit like the hissing noise, it’s hard to tell. Sometimes when I’m eating or swallowing like when you swallow your saliva I get a weird sensation in my left ear, it’s hard to explain, like there’s something in it, like when your head ears are under water. Sometimes when I yawn I get it as well, not the usual where sound would become clearer like when they pop slightly, another feeling, it’s so hard to explain it, it feels like there’s something there applying pressure.
It could be the eustachian tube/s that connect/s the throat to the inner ear and equalises pressure. If it gets blocked you get an 'air bubble' and can get ear ache, a fluttering of the drum, things sound different etc as you have a bubble of air inside the ear at a different pressure from outside. The doc will know.

(I did mine surfacing too fast from quite deep when skin diving and not equalising properly. The doc peered in my ears and the drums were bulging! But it's quite often associated with colds and stuff if your mucus thickens up. He was the one that got me onto the steam/menthol treatment. It took a couple of days regular treatment and doing the under ear massage thing. Never had a wax build up so don't know about symptoms).
Voltaire
wull

Post by wull »

That sounds more like it, and mine appeared after a Friday where I was proper ill. I went into work and had to come home, soon after I noticed this problem and it hasn’t went away.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've used moulded ear plugs for years (had them even longer but obviously didn't use them for a while!! LOL)

I LOVE them. Need to get another pair cos these don't feel exactly right anymore, but they are about 12-15 years old now, so probably time for a change!! (I have kept them clean and they live in a little tin either in my jacket pocket or, mostly, in the magnetic tank bag I have)

The difference they made was amazing. I didn't use them the first couple of times I rode the Monster as, not riding for so long and starting back on a new bike, I felt I needed to hear more. My (minor) tinnitus didn't like that so much so I got them out to use them again - but it's a real bastard to mange the right one, especially getting them out after riding because my arm isn't so useful then!!

I haven't used and will not use the disposible/plastic/rubber/foam thingies again. I could never be sure they'd go in right and stay in right - licking, not licking, squishing/not squishing etc/ I hate them!! Another reason I want to get another set of moulded ones - I can kept the originals as spares!!

They are so comfy I have considered wearing them skiing - wind rushing by my ears/helmet when hooning about the slopes won't help the spazzy ear either!! LOL :D :D
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

Noggin wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 6:01 pm I've used moulded ear plugs for years (had them even longer but obviously didn't use them for a while!! LOL)

I LOVE them. Need to get another pair cos these don't feel exactly right anymore, but they are about 12-15 years old now, so probably time for a change!! (I have kept them clean and they live in a little tin either in my jacket pocket or, mostly, in the magnetic tank bag I have)

The difference they made was amazing. I didn't use them the first couple of times I rode the Monster as, not riding for so long and starting back on a new bike, I felt I needed to hear more. My (minor) tinnitus didn't like that so much so I got them out to use them again - but it's a real bastard to mange the right one, especially getting them out after riding because my arm isn't so useful then!!

I haven't used and will not use the disposible/plastic/rubber/foam thingies again. I could never be sure they'd go in right and stay in right - licking, not licking, squishing/not squishing etc/ I hate them!! Another reason I want to get another set of moulded ones - I can kept the originals as spares!!

They are so comfy I have considered wearing them skiing - wind rushing by my ears/helmet when hooning about the slopes won't help the spazzy ear either!! LOL :D :D
You definitely do. I get work to buy me new ones every 5 years. I have 4 pairs now and when you put them side by side you can really see the difference in size and shape. The first pair I have do fit, but not half as well as the new one. Ears continue to grow I think?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Nordboy wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:46 am

You definitely do. I get work to buy me new ones every 5 years. I have 4 pairs now and when you put them side by side you can really see the difference in size and shape. The first pair I have do fit, but not half as well as the new one. Ears continue to grow I think?
They definitely change shape!! LOL I can feel that the current ones don't fit quite like they did. They are still better than none or the foamy ones (only cos I can never get those to 'sit' right!), but I do need new ones. Not sure where to go here or whether I can deal with the shock of the price here!! LOL

When I come back to the uk next, I'll probably get some then - for now, I'm not biking till spring and have realised that the plugs are in my bike jacket pocket (in their tin), and that's buried! Probably won't be trying them for skiing then - unless my tinnitus start shouting at me!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

I bought a kit to make my own about 15 years ago, used them for about 5 years with no issues.
I couldn't find them recently, so I bought another kit from ebay and again, they seem quite good !
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

FYI Some branches of Specsavers do custom earplugs for noise or water etc which may be a simpler bet than on-line.
Voltaire
wull

Post by wull »

Phoned the doctors this morning, getting a call in the afternoon. See what happens.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

''FYI Some branches of Specsavers do custom earplugs for noise or water etc which may be a simpler bet than on-line.''

Went down that line initially - as they were selling them @ £99.00. First pair OK, 2nd pair went tit's up and had a right falling out with the local branch. Now it seems all their Audiologists are sub contracted in - that's why they say they only have 1 day a week etc for specific appointments - and then check ears and take molds. They don't manufacture them either - your mold is then sent off to XYZ to be made and then u get them a few weeks later. So if u have a problem with either the fit or other you'll be sent round the houses several times.

With a fit problem I did a lot of digging and I ended up at https://minervahearing.co.uk/ and then finding out they were in Cardiff thought - I'll go and visit. The girls were brilliant explained all the options and then took molds as the manufacturer on site - which they showed me. Collected 10 days later - another visit to check everything and explained cleaning process. Never had a problem since. Looking at their customer list it does included a certain F1 German race team and when I inquired they said yes and they actually go out there and supply all the workforce. The MD does the drivers..

I also think the actual material they use is quite different to mainstream plugs - and I do believe they have several options around the country to take molds.

Either way - give them a bell and see what they say.
wull

Post by wull »

Just picked up that earcalm to use as well.
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

Am sure u know but the ''Ear Calm'' is a medicine and not a lube for general plug use. Am following you tho' as I have a ear infection ( sawdust from a chainsaw...last week ) and saw the doc this morning. He's put me on some drops and then wants to swab it next Monday and then try somit else. I think I'll be seeing him sooner than that as it's a f**kin nightmare...They ain't keen on handing out Antibiotics.
wull

Post by wull »

Alan PBTD wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:19 pm Am sure u know but the ''Ear Calm'' is a medicine and not a lube for general plug use. Am following you tho' as I have a ear infection ( sawdust from a chainsaw...last week ) and saw the doc this morning. He's put me on some drops and then wants to swab it next Monday and then try somit else. I think I'll be seeing him sooner than that as it's a f**kin nightmare...They ain't keen on handing out Antibiotics.

Yeah of course, I don’t have any issues with the plugs etc, I haven’t even used the moulded ones that I have other than to try them on because they only arrived a few weeks back.

I had mentioned the issues that I was having with my ears of late and this stuff was recommended, also got the doctor phoning me this afternoon as it seems I might have an infection