Reading: The Book Thread

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Reading: The Book Thread

Post by Count Steer »

Just started True Names (and the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier) by Vernor Vince....I'll report back. :thumbup:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm Just started True Names (and the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier) by Vernor Vince....I'll report back. :thumbup:
I did A Fire Upon The Deep, a couple of months back, great story with a bit of a shit ending. Didn't stop me buying A Deepness In The Sky,
Potter

Post by Potter »

Finished John Nichols book about the Lancaster Bomber and now I've started the Spitfire one, best books I've read in a while.

I've started doing what I used to do with music LPs, I go in and grab anything that looks vaguely interesting on the cover and just give it a try without knowing what it's even about, but there really is a lot of shite out there. I got one by a lady that moved to Cornwall and it's basically just a rambling journal in the form of a story with no point to it, I read it to the end because it's easy reading but afterwards I wondered why she'd bothered.

I grabbed a bagful from Waterstones to take back with me.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 9:53 am Finished John Nichols book about the Lancaster Bomber and now I've started the Spitfire one, best books I've read in a while.

I've started doing what I used to do with music LPs, I go in and grab anything that looks vaguely interesting on the cover and just give it a try without knowing what it's even about, but there really is a lot of shite out there. I got one by a lady that moved to Cornwall and it's basically just a rambling journal in the form of a story with no point to it, I read it to the end because it's easy reading but afterwards I wondered why she'd bothered.

I grabbed a bagful from Waterstones to take back with me.
I tried the method of "try anything that is Booker nominated" which worked great for a while and then I had two or three real stinkers in a row. I'm stuck in a rut now and not really got into anything for ages.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:05 am
I tried the method of "try anything that is Booker nominated" which worked great for a while and then I had two or three real stinkers in a row. I'm stuck in a rut now and not really got into anything for ages.
I was the same, I re-read a lot of books from our bookshelves, but finally dropped on the John Nichol books.

David

Post by David »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:39 pm
David wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:37 pm Termination shock by Neal Stephenson....post climate catastrophe...so far so good.
I read Snowcrash, thought it brilliant, but then didn't read anything else he did. All the reviews of stuff like Diamond Age, made them sound a bit high brow.
I have read moost..baroque trilogy is great....anathem was the one i havent got into yet....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Right, need some more books....

Horror related please....

What you got ?
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I don't do horror, books or TV. I'm out!
Skub

Post by Skub »

Sequel to The Shining. Dr. Sleep.

Stephen King.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Getting into 'Time on Rock' by Anna Fleming and pondering on a trip to Hathersage/Stanage Edge. Not that I'll be flaking ropes, doing a few South African abseils and working on my hand jams. :(

Be nice to see some gritstone though. :P

Anyone else been into clambering up rocky things?
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I got my dad a copy of John Clark's Ignition for his Birthday...I've heard from a few places its a good read but it's out of print AFAIK. Gonna have to borrow it :D

Its an account of the development of liquid fueled rockets, written half humoursly and half seriously by one of the guys there in the 60s.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:06 pm
Anyone else been into clambering up rocky things?

Not for a long time.

I enjoyed climbing, though it was never a passion. There's an enormous feeling of achievement when you finish a climb.

I'm up in the hills here now and again, although it's at best a scramble. Still love standing on the tops though. It just feels right.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:42 pm Just started True Names (and the Opening of the Cyberspace Frontier) by Vernor Vince....I'll report back. :thumbup:
IIRC thats an odd one. Fairly sure I read it a while ago.
Theres a bit of story in there but a lot of its factual and about why having good encryption is important to everyone. It's still good but not what I expected after reading a few of his fiction books.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

demographic wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:33 pm
Theres a bit of story in there but a lot of its factual and about why having good encryption is important to everyone. It's still good but not what I expected after reading a few of his fiction books.
It is an odd one. It's a short story preceded by a number of papers/articles on things like encryption. The story itself is supposed to be referenced by lots of SF that came out after. Some of the papers are interesting but can be heavy going. I think I now know far more than I'll ever need to! It does give insight into how/why the data companies like Faceplant and Google have prospered...and why that may not be such a great thing though. (Eeeh, lad, I remember when t'cookies were American biscuits :D ).
Voltaire
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:54 pm
demographic wrote: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:33 pm
It is an odd one. It's a short story preceded by a number of papers/articles on things like encryption. The story itself is supposed to be referenced by lots of SF that came out after. Some of the papers are interesting but can be heavy going. I think I now know far more than I'll ever need to! It does give insight into how/why the data companies like Faceplant and Google have prospered...and why that may not be such a great thing though. (Eeeh, lad, I remember when t'cookies were American biscuits :D ).
I think it was Marooned In Realtime and Across Realtime that I liked best by him.
Some of the stories themselves werent amazing but I just liked the concept of embobblement* and how far he went with it.

Where they could create a "Bobble" around something which stopped time within the bobble.
Could effectively protect the occupants, even if it was thrown into the sun, could be an off centre bobble and cut someone in half and used as a weapon or for mining and if you wanted something out of a hillside you just bobble it and it rolls down.
Size and duration being the variables and you could do a lot with those.
There was more to it than that but I just liked where he went with it.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

weeksy wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:54 am Right, need some more books....

Horror related please....

What you got ?
John Connolly’s Charlie Parker series is well worth a read, in my top 5 for fiction.

Not exactly horror as such, but has a good streak of malevolence running through the whole series. Each one is stand alone, but start at the beginning,
David

Post by David »

John Sandford ...ocean prey....

I have read most of his....usually fairly funny too.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Anyone read Brian Lumley?

Worth a couple of kindle quid?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

How to drive a nuclear reactor by Colin Tucker. Just got it and had a quick thumb through, Mrs M says its highly inappropriate for some one of my abilities.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Just bought Alanbrooke war diaries - off on a mini tour next week