Ear plugs - moulded

Anything you like about motorbikes
wull

Ear plugs - moulded

Post by wull »

Does anyone use the custom moulded ear plugs?

Just looking for some feedback on them and how you got on with them.

I have a set which came recently, I got fitted for them when I was down at Brands and they arrived a few weeks back after I had put the bike away so not had a chance to use them on the bike, albeit I’ve worn them a few times for a short period like a proper Fanny to see what they’re like, and to drown out the wife……..and baby 👀 terrible father I know :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Anyway, the reason I’m asking is I’ve been having terrible problems with my ears lately which came after I was Ill one day, and I haven’t been able to shake it since. The wife reckons it’s to do with my sinuses, going to phone the doctors on Monday see if I can get to the bottom of it.

So I’m wondering if they’ll be too sore for me, I’ve always worn ear plugs from the cheap ones to the most recent ones that I’ve used for a few seasons which is the eggz which I really like, the issue I have with them is if you don’t position the little tab correctly when you insert them you can’t really get them out. I’ve had to get someone to use tweezers to remove the one that’s got stuck.

I’m maybe being over paranoid but because my ears are playing up I’m desperate to see how they go and whether they’ll cause me discomfort.

The eggz are fitted with the passive filter and the moulded ones have both passive filters and solid filters, which I could use on the eggz as well if I continued to use them or used them from time to time.

MrLongbeard

Re: Ear plugs - moulded

Post by MrLongbeard »

wull wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:48 pm Does anyone use the custom moulded ear plugs?

Just looking for some feedback on them and how you got on with them.
Yes, for the past couple of years, get on fine with them, no bother at all, quick lick before popping / screwing them in and jobs jobbed
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

You don't say if it feels like an ear infection, if it is, get some "EarCalm" spray from the chemist whilst your waiting for the Dr to give you an appt in Feb 2023. I went through a spell few years ago of repeated ear infections and the Dr recommended jumping on it quick with the aforementioned spray to stop the germs getting a foot hold.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I have packets of Laser Lites in the pockets of all my bike gear. Buy them in bulk on ebay for bugger all.

I like the idea of moulded ones, but I lose enough of the disposable ones. The idea of giving them a lick before fitting makes me feel ill!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 pm I have packets of Laser Lites in the pockets of all my bike gear. Buy them in bulk on ebay for bugger all.

I like the idea of moulded ones, but I lose enough of the disposable ones. The idea of giving them a lick before fitting makes me feel ill!
Yeah human saliva is full of germs and is as bad as cats and dogs saliva for causing nasty infections (from the Consultant who drained my hand tendons of severe infection after a dog bite).
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

If it's sinuses problem a Vick type inhaler is worth a try or better still a menthol/steam inhaling session. If the eustachian tube between the throat and ear is gunged up that can give you earache and the menthol treatment can help with that.

(Have had similar problems and actually bought a proper steam mask inhaler thing).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

@Alan PBTD likes a pair of moulded
wull

Post by wull »

Great replies guys, I purchased some stuff which I think is meant to help dissolve the wax but only used it the once. It does feel more than just a build up of wax that’s causing the problem. I’ll give that other stuff a try.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 pm The idea of giving them a lick before fitting makes me feel ill!
They are clean for cripes sake ya big girls blouse
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I just twist the laser lites betwix my fingers and stuff them in.

No need for spit.

When they've been used once they get binned. Do you lick the ones that have already been in your lug 'oles?
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

I tried the moulded ones, but couldn’t get away with them at all.

I’ve used these for years now. Go though about a set every month or so if I’m riding most days.

https://www.justonline.co.uk/product/ho ... gs-1-pair/
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:14 pm Do you lick the ones that have already been in your lug 'oles?
They get washed after every ride, if I take 'em out during the day I lick my fingers instead, or in these times use a drop of hand gel
wull

Post by wull »

If you pull on your lug a certain way it opens up the ear canal and allows it to slip in easier.

Definitely something up, getting a bit of pain in the left ear just now.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:58 pm You don't say if it feels like an ear infection, if it is, get some "EarCalm" spray from the chemist whilst your waiting for the Dr to give you an appt in Feb 2023. I went through a spell few years ago of repeated ear infections and the Dr recommended jumping on it quick with the aforementioned spray to stop the germs getting a foot hold.
Seconded. Earcalm works very well, better than anti biotics if you jump on any discomfort quickly.
non quod, sed quomodo
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Yellow spongy ones...bin em when they get grubby. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Alan PBTD

Post by Alan PBTD »

I think there's a couple of issues here so from my experience here we go :
If you've been suffering with a cold / flu or sore ears the ear canal's will either sensitive or swollen or both so please do not incert anything into them - you'll only aggravate the situation so see what the doc says. Appreciative your desperate to use them but they'll have to take a back seat for bit - any sort of ear ache is a nightmare and ain't gonna clear up overnight and u'll need antibiotics.
There are specific ways to fit them and it's helped with a light use of a natural based ear balm - and u only need to use a bit about 1/2 the size of a garden pea. Just lube the outside of the canal and they'll pop in and out easy. Any more and you run the risk of blocking the noise filers and / or them coming out when u put your helmet on. If you've used a pair of tweezers to get one out then u got a major problem - and under no circumstances should u use ''spit'' to lube them.
Personally I've never suffered with a build up of ear wax - but the missus suffers with it real bad and has them washed out every few months ( no NHS now and £40 a pair...) there should be some wax in the ear naturally as this acts as a mega fine dust collector.
I've been using moulded plugs for quite a few years now but it did take 3 attempts to get moulds that I was happy with and they did say they need replacing every 3 / 4 years as the shape of the canal changes. Mine are overdue but because they have transponders in them ( for a intercom ) are all but £200 so trying to make them last a bit longer.

Let us know what the doc says next week ( and if u got a secret method of getting a face to face appointment please share...)
ATB

And have a chat with the people here : https://minervahearing.co.uk/motorcycling/
wull

Post by wull »

I won’t be using them until the bikes back out but had them in just to see what they’re like.

It was the eggz plugs that got stuck and that’s because of the little tab being in the wrong place after I had inserted them, if you seen them or used them you’d understand what I mean, it’s not that there’s an issue it’s purely because of the tab, it’s there for that very reason but they have to be inserted a certain way.

I’ve never had an issue with inserting plugs, you can open the canal if you reach across with your opposite hand and pull on the top of your ear, but I appreciate that you can purchase specific stuff to aid with them sliding in.

But I’ll see what the deal is with my ears first.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Here's what I do and it works for me. Firstly I use these:

earplugs on Amazon

I trim the long stem off because with a helmet they can be uncomfy. Just use scissors to trim 5mm or so off.

I ride a few times a week, all year. My lid is noisy. These earplugs are very cheap, but they work very well. I've used them for the past few years / 50k miles. Road use only but if I rode track I'm fairly certain they would be very good for that too. However, there are a few things worth mentioning that I don't think have been covered in the posts above.

Firstly, and most importantly, instead of moistening them with spit use olive oil. And don't scrimp on it either. When the earplugs are not actually in your lug 'oles, keep them in a small 5ml plastic container. Half fill the container with olive oil, so when you get off the bike you can take the earplugs out and put them in the container. The earplugs will then be oily and can be put back in your ears easily when you're ready to ride off again.

This set up is very cheap, very effective and the properties of the olive oil guard against wax build up because olive oil effectively melts wax (put some on a candle - it softens it very quickly). Also, olive oil is really kind to skin.

The earplug, now effectively covered w/ olive oil from the container, means that when it's in your ear it shuts a LOT of sound out. Similar to putting your head underwater. The oil creates a kind of seal, keeping sound / noise out. Very effective.

If you've not used this kind of earplug before you MAY find that it pushes wax further into your ear, which can be a real nuisance because it affects hearing. This is not as problematic as you may think. Resist the urge to spend £80 or whatever by going for a syringing session at Specsavers or similar. There's no need. At least not until you've tried this: First, get some of these 100ml plastic dispensing bottles. Fill w/ olive oil and squirt some into your ear. By keeping some olive oil in your ear the build up of wax will quickly begin to soften. Of course, the oil will run out of your ear - so use your ear plug to keep it in. This may take a day or two. Sometimes even longer. I've slept this way, and by the next day all my hearing's returned. But it can take longer.

When you shower, take the earplug out of the affected ear, and work your little finger into your ear. Often, your hearing will return in full. Sometimes, when it doesn't, I personally use the plastic bottle to sluice my ear out using the warm water from the shower. GO EASY. Don't blast it into your ear like your squirting ketchup onto your burger at a bbq!! There's no need. The most important part of this whole process is the olive oil, and the way the olive oil softens earwax. If the build up is significant, the olive oil will take longer - but it WILL soften the wax and break it down completely. Judicious and VERY careful use of cotton buds is another way. Again, GO EASY. Let the olive oil (kept in your ear with an earplug for a day or two if necessary) work away on the wax, before using cotton buds. Be careful with the sluicing and the cotton buds. Less is more, etc. The only thing you CAN be liberal with in all this is the olive oil. Be tentative and softly-softly with everything else.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:01 pm I have packets of Laser Lites in the pockets of all my bike gear. Buy them in bulk on ebay for bugger all.

I wear my moulded comms sets in work all day. I use a very thin layer of vaseline in my ear throughout the day to help avoid the need for spit and to keep the plugs comfortable. it really works.

I also disinfect the earplugs daily by soaking them in boiling water and drying them off.

I have/ do suffer a bit from ear infections occasionally and i do think some of that is down to wearing bike earplugs. But I've started suffering from tinnitus over the last 12 months or so, so wouldn't ride without them.
wull

Post by wull »

I’m wondering if I’m starting to suffer from Tinnitus as well but I wouldn’t have expected to as I wear plugs all the time when on the bike and ear defenders at work. I’m very careful in that respect but maybe it’s just one of those things.