advanced training and coms use

Riding tips, guides, safety gear, IAM, ROSPA and anything related to keeping riders alive longer !
wheelnut

Re: advanced training and coms use

Post by wheelnut »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:22 am

The IAM do not use coms. They expect you to use your mirrors to watch for the observer's indicators. I thought I'd struggle with that but I soon got used to it and it improved my rear obs. 'See a junction sign - mirror check' is not a bad habit.
There's no rule, it's down to the group. I think most do use comms now. My local group has been using PMR since about 2005.
Horse

Post by Horse »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm

The IAM do not use coms. They expect you to use your mirrors to watch for the observer's indicators. I thought I'd struggle with that but I soon got used to it and it improved my rear obs. 'See a junction sign - mirror check' is not a bad habit.
There's no rule, it's down to the group. I think most do use comms now. My local group has been using PMR since about 2005.

Blimey! There's a multi-level IAM observer competency qualification!

https://iam-sheffield.bike/wp-content/u ... HmfK8uEhbv
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Horse

Post by Horse »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:38 pm
wheelnut wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm There's no rule, it's down to the group. I think most do use comms now. My local group has been using PMR since about 2005.

And it shows the potential pitfalls:

Guidance (as distinct from Instruction) Offering of advice for consideration, whereas ‘Instruction ‘may imply a compulsion to obey.

So not only talking in someone's ear, then asking them to 'consider' what you have said? ie Taking their concentration away from the road ahead?
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

not sure what's going on w/ that link but i keep getting this:

"The page can’t be found. It looks like nothing was found at this location."
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:43 pm
wheelnut wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:11 pm There's no rule, it's down to the group. I think most do use comms now. My local group has been using PMR since about 2005.

And it shows the potential pitfalls:

Guidance (as distinct from Instruction) Offering of advice for consideration, whereas ‘Instruction ‘may imply a compulsion to obey.

So not only talking in someone's ear, then asking them to 'consider' what you have said? ie Taking their concentration away from the road ahead?
Very interesting. I appreciate it might well strike many as semantics, but this is precisely the kind of thing that moved me to start this thread.

I have heard of local groups who have invested in coms (albeit the more affordable kind) only to be advised (by the Centre? by their copper liaison reps?) that they're best not used.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bob D. wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:32 pm

not sure what's going on w/ that link but i keep getting this:

"The page can’t be found. It looks like nothing was found at this location."
Try Googling

Iam motorcycle radio skills sheffield
Horse

Post by Horse »

Bob D. wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:35 pm Very interesting. I appreciate it might well strike many as semantics, but this is precisely the kind of thing that moved me to start this thread.

I have heard of local groups who have invested in coms (albeit the more affordable kind) only to be advised (by the Centre? by their copper liaison reps?) that they're best not used.
As much as I laughed at them having training and standards, when using radios there is a fine line between benefit and distraction. Use is an integral part of lesson planning delivery and session management.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Well, it's only natural that if you ride with a friend with coms for any length of time, you're going to start "helping" each other with blind overtakes and stuff. I heard that the police spend a couple of days in the classroom learning what and what not to say :think:

So following a friend on coms who has just executed an overtake I ask "Is it clear?" to which he says "Yes.........." at which point I initiate a three stage overtake. I see a car coming :shock: Abort! Lucky it was a three stage. My friend continues "........after the blue car".

He got a bollocking.

We agreed some best practices.
Lockdown refugee
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

What's a 3 stage overtake?
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm Well, it's only natural that if you ride with a friend with coms for any length of time, you're going to start "helping" each other with blind overtakes and stuff. I heard that the police spend a couple of days in the classroom learning what and what not to say :think:

So following a friend on coms who has just executed an overtake I ask "Is it clear?" to which he says "Yes.........." at which point I initiate a three stage overtake. I see a car coming :shock: Abort! Lucky it was a three stage. My friend continues "........after the blue car".

He got a bollocking.

Are you sure he's your friend. 😬
Yamaha rocket 3
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

weeksy wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:43 pm What's a 3 stage overtake?
Is it where you cross the white line but don't accelerate and get hit up the arse end by following focus st.?
Yamaha rocket 3
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Dodgy knees wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:17 pm
Is it where you cross the white line but don't accelerate and get hit up the arse end by following focus st.?
Someone else I know called it "cock blocking".
Lockdown refugee
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:53 pm
Another 'friend', with benefits? :D
Horse

Post by Horse »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm I ask "Is it clear?" to which he says "Yes.........."

My friend continues "........after the blue car".
Yup.

"Right, turn left"
"Turn left, right?"
"Stop ... when you find a safe place"
"Turn left NO NOT THE ONE WAY STREET!"

"All clear?" "Yes ... if you hurry" ;)

Giving directions typically uses the format:
Attention
Direction
Information

So: "Name, take the next left turn, after the phone box"

With VOX radios, you need to activate transmit and not leave gaps between words where the radio switches off. FWIW, learn to talk like a pilot!
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Horse wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:57 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm I ask "Is it clear?" to which he says "Yes.........."

My friend continues "........after the blue car".
Yup.

"Right, turn left"
"Turn left, right?"
"Stop ... when you find a safe place"
"Turn left NO NOT THE ONE WAY STREET!"

"All clear?" "Yes ... if you hurry" ;)

Giving directions typically uses the format:
Attention
Direction
Information

So: "Name, take the next left turn, after the phone box"

With VOX radios, you need to activate transmit and not leave gaps between words where the radio switches off. FWIW, learn to talk like a pilot!
We agreed that if you say "clear" you repeat it until it's not.

Having said that, I don't agree with that practice as it shits everyone else up who doesn't know what's going on. But having said that, it's a race and whatever.... ;)
Lockdown refugee
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

slowsider wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:57 pm
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:53 pm

Another 'friend', with benefits? :D
It's all about the bikes.
Lockdown refugee
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm Well, it's only natural that if you ride with a friend with coms for any length of time, you're going to start "helping" each other with blind overtakes and stuff.
I really hate that stuff. Who's at fault if it goes wrong? "You told me..." "It would have been fine if you'd cracked on a bit". Etc...

The whole point is to ride for yourself, and don't trust anyone else's judgement when it's you who is at risk. I ride a lot with a couple of others, we know each other's decision-making pretty well, but wouldn't dream of "suggesting/encouraging" actions on the road. E.g. I hear of riders staying way out right on LH bends to show those following that it's still clear - gives me the willies, tho they'll proobably justify it ("making progress"?). Bollocks.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:27 am
I've never trained anyone and I don't like coms. I used to go out with a guy on a Sunday mornings and we used coms. I don't know about anyone else but it can take me 10 minutes to get into a ride and as soon as we hit a national speed limit road he'd ask me a question - "How's your Mum? How's work?". My reply was usually " :angry-cussingblack: can you give me 10 minutes please".
If i was riding with someone using comms who wanted a chat like that i would instantly switch them off. I even hate answering the phone linked to my bluetooth as i find it distracting and thats coming from someone who used to drive at high speed while listening to at least 2 different radio channels whilst providing a commentary of my own. On a bike while cracking on i like to be left to concentrate on what i am doing.
Trinity765 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:40 pm Well, it's only natural that if you ride with a friend with coms for any length of time, you're going to start "helping" each other with blind overtakes and stuff. I heard that the police spend a couple of days in the classroom learning what and what not to say :think:

He got a bollocking.

Trust me, its more than a couple of days and in a convoy of vehicles carries a lot of risk so needs to be exact and precise and normally involves using vehicles to block or signal as well as radio comms without going into specifics. It also requires complete trust in those you are working with. I would approach a t junction to turn right from a minor to a major road and if i heard "Clear Left!!" from the person sat beside me i would check right and keep going. Takes a long time to build that absolute trust
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

Bigyin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm
if i heard "Clear Left!!" from the person sat beside me i would check right and keep going. Takes a long time to build that absolute trust
Interesting that's exactly the words my dad used when teaching me to drive in the 1960s - he was a Class 1 driver......
Horse

Post by Horse »

iansoady wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:11 am
Bigyin wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:54 pm
if i heard "Clear Left!!" from the person sat beside me i would check right and keep going. Takes a long time to build that absolute trust
Interesting that's exactly the words my dad used when teaching me to drive in the 1960s - he was a Class 1 driver......
I heard a tale of two Met trafpols, who used to scoff through a large bag of sweets (stored on the centre console) through their shift.
Arrive at T Junction, driver asks "Any left?"
Passenger replies "All gone"
Crunch