Xmas present memories from your childhood, what stands out ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Count Steer

Re: Xmas present memories from your childhood, what stands out ?

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:48 pm
I've never used the rubber track, my earliest was the Scalextric classic track
The Vanwall was probably one of the Formula Junior cars, my first ones were 2nd hand, a green Vanwall and a red Porsche single seater, good little cars.

The Brabham was good, but the Williams is the F1 car to have from that era.

The stuff in the club would have been BRSCA type cars with metal chassis, vac form bodies, foam tyres coated with grip juice (a thin glue) running on a routed wooden track.
I remember that the Williams was a) desirable and b) more expensive. :(
I've also remembered what my other Brabham is - the Parmalat BT52. Much different handling than the BT34 lobster-claw, wider track...wider everything!
That sounds exactly right for the slot racers...I remember them putting tacky stuff on the tyres.

Hmm....must get back in the loft...where there's also the worst Scalex vehicles...the motorbike/sidecars.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

A joint present for me and the younger brother.

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

My younger brother really wanted this dopey game (must have been the 70s)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/233746836451

.... so much so that he wrote out "ActionGT Krazy Katch" all over a piece of paper - which he foolishly did on the brand new kitchen table, which was permanently marked. That earned him a smack and an early night - hey it was the 70s! :)

When my folks eventually relented and bought the game, it was absolutely terrible, ill-thought-out and unplayable. It definitely didn't "stick like crazy".

His look of abject disappointment! My older brother and I cried with laughter ....
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 pm
The Vanwall was probably one of the Formula Junior cars, my first ones were 2nd hand, a green Vanwall and a red Porsche single seater, good little cars.

The stuff in the club would have been BRSCA type cars with metal chassis, vac form bodies, foam tyres coated with grip juice (a thin glue) running on a routed wooden track.
I've also remembered what my other Brabham is - the Parmalat BT52. Much different handling than the BT34 lobster-claw, wider track...wider everything!
That sounds exactly right for the slot racers...I remember them putting tacky stuff on the tyres.

Hmm....must get back in the loft...where there's also the worst Scalex vehicles...the motorbike/sidecars.
I'd forgotten the Parmalat Brabham, that's possibly better than the Williams, they were really sought after about 10 years ago (and might still be)

The worst Scalextric car is the TR7 - I got one for Xmas one year, how I wanted to love that car, but it was an evil handling pig.
Honda Owner
Le_Fromage_Grande

lostboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 pm A joint present for me and the younger brother.

Never used them, but I've seen the cars, they run on half AC, pressing the button to make them steer reverse the AC half that they run on.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:00 pm I've raced those era Scalextric Le Mans cars, the Porsche is better than the Jag, but the Sauber Mercedes was the one to have.
I bought an XJ220 with my pocket money (although I might have got it for Christmas a few years layer, I don't recall) which absolutely spanked both Jag and Porsche. My Brother and I bought loads of second hand track over the following years and we had an epic set up. This was long before eBay of course, we had to go to Tony's Toys and Models on our bicycles.

Mrs. D's parents actually bought me a Scalextric set for Christmas once, totaly unprompted. It became part of a set we used at our wedding, which was massive. The 10 year old me would have had a fit if he'd seen it :D
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

lostboy wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:06 pm A joint present for me and the younger brother.

I also had TCR. All I can remember now is that it was a red box it came in - had a few other cars and bits, not sure where it is now - probably landfill somewhere.

Still have some Hornby and Tri-ang trains and stuff packed up in the garage, may dig it out one day but at work I have real ones to mess with :D
Last edited by v8-powered on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I'm now tempted to get some track out and have a play, but the noise of the cars going over the track joins really annoys my wife, so it's probably not worth it, I'm also very tempted to buy an NSR Porsche 917/10, just because I want one

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/nsr- ... royal.html
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:11 pm
Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:02 pm

I'd forgotten the Parmalat Brabham, that's possibly better than the Williams, they were really sought after about 10 years ago (and might still be)

The worst Scalextric car is the TR7 - I got one for Xmas one year, how I wanted to love that car, but it was an evil handling pig.
I have a distant memory of someone having the TR7 and it did look the biz. I've done a bit of digging and my first set must have been a s/h GP3 set which had Coopers rather than Vanwalls. I've got a whole load of Scalex stuff as I put dibs on things that friends were chucking out as they 'grew up'. I'll probably end up sticking the lot in a box and bunging it in the local auction house but it's handy to know that odd bits might be collectables.

(For a few years I used to do a 'bah humbug Christmas' when workmates would come round and we'd spend the day playing Scalextric and computer games (and drinking). Fortunately I have an understanding wife. :lol:
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Scalextric cars are worth money if in good condition, Scalextric track is pretty near worthless unless it's something rare like radius 4 bends or the pit stop set.
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:28 pm Scalextric cars are worth money if in good condition, Scalextric track is pretty near worthless unless it's something rare like radius 4 bends or the pit stop set.
I'll have a review when I battle my way into the loft above the garage. Some of the cars are boxed and in good condition, some, inherited, are pretty beat up. I wouldn't bother putting the track into auction. (Knowing me I'll come back from auction with more than I put in...which may be why negotiating the garage is a bit :shock: ).
Voltaire
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:14 pm

Never used them, but I've seen the cars, they run on half AC, pressing the button to make them steer reverse the AC half that they run on.
It wasn't as much fun as we'd hoped - basically it's flat out everywhere and you can get away with it as the forces in the corners just push the cars into the outside lane, running round the wall. Having the "jam" car - a much slower car that occasionally changed lane just for the fun of it - really made it more interesting as you could then overtake on the inside of bends using the jam car and the opposition as a berm.

Nowhere near as good as Scalextric - which is probably why I still have the Mini and loads of Scalextric track and I have no idea what became of TCR.

The anticipation when we opened it on Xmas day, however............epic.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:28 pm Scalextric cars are worth money if in good condition, Scalextric track is pretty near worthless unless it's something rare like radius 4 bends or the pit stop set.
My Bro and I had a right old mix of track - we had a book, something along the lines of "25 top Scalextric Layouts" or something, and we made it our mission to build the biggest track in that book. It ended up being a 'double lap' track, so it looked like it was 4 lanes wide but it was actually and inner and outer loop of the same curcuit. As a result we had a huge mix of bend radii to make it fit together. Took ages for all that to come up second hand in the track bin in the aforementioned model shop :lol:

Hump back bridge was my favourite, proper car launcher that one :D
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I remember this being bad ass, looking at it now, I can't think why!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255240497019 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Le_Fromage_Grande

You can now get digital slot car sets that have lane changes and you can run 6 cars on a two lane track, I picked up a the set below a few years ago on eBay very cheap because it no longer worked, 30 minutes cleaning everything fixed it and it works lovely

Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

The Digital Stuff was what Mrs Ds folks got me. You can get track bits which are digital connectors one end and older style ones the other end, thus making it possible to use loads of old track. Thats what we did at our wedding. The Scalextric version can run up to four cars on the two lane circuit, all four can be on either lane.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:52 pm The Digital Stuff was what Mrs Ds folks got me. You can get track bits which are digital connectors one end and older style ones the other end, thus making it possible to use loads of old track. Thats what we did at our wedding. You can also run up to four cars on the two lane circuit, all four can be on either lane.
You can run 6 on the newer version of Scalextric Digital, 6 on Carrera, 8 on Ninco and 6 on SCX, none of them are compatible with each other.
Slot It do an add on setup for Ninco, Scalextric and Carrera that will allow you to run 20 cars on one track.

http://www.slot.it/INGLESE/Oxigen.html
Honda Owner
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Battling tops.

Remember my brother pulling the string and hitting mum in the face breaking her glasses on Xmas day. Oops 😬

Yamaha rocket 3
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

An orange and a walnut. :cry:
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

Dodgy knees wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:40 pm Battling tops.

Remember my brother pulling the string and hitting mum in the face breaking her glasses on Xmas day. Oops
:lol: