Xmas present memories from your childhood, what stands out ?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
weeksy
Site Admin

Xmas present memories from your childhood, what stands out ?

Post by weeksy »

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/255263387884 ... Sw0BBhrSyD

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304252223387 ... SwrXNhqx2y

These 2 are the standout memories for me... hours and hours and hours of fun.
Wscad

Re: Xmas present memories from your childhood, what stands out ?

Post by Wscad »

A Johnny Action One Man Army Machine Gun.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

A shiny, brand new bicycle. Christmas day was wet and miserable but out I went. Been out on 2 wheels in all weathers since. :D

That and a train set with the Sir Nigel Gresley engine.

Scalextric.

(Still have a bicycle, train set and Scalextric...just not the same ones :lol: ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Boo - you had the posh Evel, I only had the pull cord one

DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I think my favourite toy was a wooden fort that my uncle made - no pics I'm afraid, consigned to landfill long ago no doubt, unless my mum recycled it to the jumble sale ...
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Action Man, the same Xmas I got a coat that I then had for years, so it must have been huge when I got it, we were proper poor in the early 70s, a pair of Scalextric Porsche 911 RSRs that came from Grand Parents, model aircraft, Flying Fortress and Superfortress, again from Grand Parents, Rubics Cube in the 80s.
Honda Owner
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I wrote a letter to Santa, I used the word 'please' at least 15 times, begging for an AT-AT.

The cunt never delivered.
tricol

Post by tricol »

Pretty much Lego. This one is buried in the attic at my parents house, somewhere. This was one of my favourites.

Yamaha MT09 SP
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Christmas 1988 I got the cream coloured version of this...

From my mum and dad and Kylie's first album to play on it from my Aunty Norma.

I only wanted a tape to tape to copy spectrum games.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:00 pm I only wanted a tape to tape to copy spectrum games.
LOL C64 games for me, but yes... that for sure.

I still recall the countless hours of "please insert disc 2.....3...... 14....21...."

I think a few of the Star Wars games were 20+ floppies when when Rar'd.
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

My ZX81, ZX Spectrum and my Falcon Eddy Merckx bike, that prob covers 11-13 years old. Earlier years would be the Evel Knieval bike and a scalextric rally cross set with minis, still have the computers and the scalextric 👍
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

This - amongst a few others.

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 pm Action Man, the same Xmas I got a coat that I then had for years, so it must have been huge when I got it, we were proper poor in the early 70s, a pair of Scalextric Porsche 911 RSRs that came from Grand Parents, model aircraft, Flying Fortress and Superfortress, again from Grand Parents, Rubics Cube in the 80s.
I had (and probably still have, somewhere in the loft) a Scalextric gold Porsche - with working headlights!

Some years back one of the neighbours said he had a Scalextric in his parent's loft and was sent, post haste to get it. It was assembled in our spare room which was where 'Steve Police' (6 wheel Tyrrell), me (Lobster claw Brabham + later Brabham) and Gary (Ferrari) spent quite a few hours. Steve Police's wife used to pitch up at the door and tell him his dinner was ready. (The marriage did not end well - one dead, one in prison - but I don't think the Scalextric was to blame).
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:13 pm The marriage did not end well - one dead, one in prison .
Ever the one for an understatement.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:13 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:47 pm Action Man, the same Xmas I got a coat that I then had for years, so it must have been huge when I got it, we were proper poor in the early 70s, a pair of Scalextric Porsche 911 RSRs that came from Grand Parents, model aircraft, Flying Fortress and Superfortress, again from Grand Parents, Rubics Cube in the 80s.
I had (and probably still have, somewhere in the loft) a Scalextric gold Porsche - with working headlights!

Some years back one of the neighbours said he had a Scalextric in his parent's loft and was sent, post haste to get it. It was assembled in our spare room which was where 'Steve Police' (6 wheel Tyrrell), me (Lobster claw Brabham + later Brabham) and Gary (Ferrari) spent quite a few hours. Steve Police's wife used to pitch up at the door and tell him his dinner was ready. (The marriage did not end well - one dead, one in prison - but I don't think the Scalextric was to blame).
Mine were earlier than the gold Porsche with lights, plain white that came with a set of Martini decals that you could apply, mine had the Johnson motor, I think the gold ones had the Mabuchi motor.

I got into racing Scalextric cars again in my 40s, joined a couple of clubs, won a national round of one Grand Prix series and was third in a national rally series, then lost interest in my 50s, I've got loads of cars and track, they've moved on a lot in terms of speed and reliability from the 70s, but I still really like the old Johnson motored Scalextric cars, they have a smell all of they're own, and they're fast enough for a home track, modern slot cars are too quick for short home tracks.

But saying that if you want something really good quality that flies round a track

https://www.pendleslotracing.co.uk/slot ... acturer=40
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:31 pm
Mine were earlier than the gold Porsche with lights, plain white that came with a set of Martini decals that you could apply, mine had the Johnson motor, I think the gold ones had the Mabuchi motor.

I got into racing Scalextric cars again in my 40s, joined a couple of clubs, won a national round of one Grand Prix series and was third in a national rally series, then lost interest in my 50s, I've got loads of cars and track, they've moved on a lot in terms of speed and reliability from the 70s, but I still really like the old Johnson motored Scalextric cars, they have a smell all of they're own, and they're fast enough for a home track, modern slot cars are too quick for short home tracks.
My very first one was when the track was more like rubber and came with clips to join it together. I think it had a pair of Vanwalls iirc. It may have been s/h and it was a figure of 8 and had a lap score building and a few figures with it. The cars were quite substantial with screwed on underside and you did get that strange 'electric' smell.

Racing later with a range of cars of various ages it was quite interesting how the 'handling' differed. The little lobster-claw was epic once you had the knack.

There was a proper slot-racing club (in a building that looked like a signal box) behind my pub of choice when I was a teenager. The speed and 'stickability' of those cars was pretty incredible. You didn't want to be standing in the way if one came off. They were pretty much all self built with imported stuff from the States.
Voltaire
Le_Fromage_Grande

Count Steer wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:43 pm
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:31 pm

My very first one was when the track was more like rubber and came with clips to join it together. I think it had a pair of Vanwalls. It may have been s/h and it was a figure of 8 and had a lap score building and a few figures with it. The cars were quite substantial with screwed on underside iirc and you did get that strange 'electric' smell.

Racing later with a range of cars of various ages it was quite interesting how the 'handling' differed. The little lobster-claw was epic once you had the knack.

There was a proper slot-racing club (in a building that looked like a signal box) behind my pub of choice when I was a teenager. The speed and 'stickability' of those cars was pretty incredible. You didn't want to be standing in the way if one came off. They were pretty much all self built with imported stuff from the States.
I've never used the rubber track, my earliest was the Scalextric classic track
The Vanwall was probably one of the Formula Junior cars, my first ones were 2nd hand, a green Vanwall and a red Porsche single seater, good little cars.

The Brabham was good, but the Williams is the F1 car to have from that era.

The stuff in the club would have been BRSCA type cars with metal chassis, vac form bodies, foam tyres coated with grip juice (a thin glue) running on a routed wooden track.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Two which stick out for me:

My Brother and I had this as a joint present some time in the very early 90s...this was also the time I learned it's not pronounced "lee manns". I remember feeling hard done by that my brother got to be the Jag every time and I was stuck with "only" the Rothmans Porsche 956. What a stupid child I was :lol:

The other one is this. I didn't know it at the time of course, but my dad queued outside Toys R Us all night to get it.

Le_Fromage_Grande

I've raced those era Scalextric Le Mans cars, the Porsche is better than the Jag, but the Sauber Mercedes was the one to have.
Honda Owner