Ebay and Paypal Question

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dutchman

Ebay and Paypal Question

Post by Dutchman »

I can't imagine any of you have seen a thread on this topic before ;)

Anyway I've sold a projector to someone on the 'bay. He paid at first with a paypal echeque, then decided he needed the thing sooner than it's take an echeque to clear (5-7 days). Couldn't figure out how to cancel sale so relisted and he bought off the new listing using normal paypal. Then figured out how to cancel transaction and cancelled off his order.

His payment showed up in my paypal account but when i tried to transfer to my bank it said some stuff about a security check and is now "pending" :(

Anyone had this happen to them? What was teh upshot?

I think it means they're checking me rather than the buyer - am i right?

Buyer understandable keen to get his mitts on the goods but I'm reluctant to dispatch until the money is in my bank. Am I being too cautious? Here's a pic of the paypal a/c if that makes it clearer

Cheers!
Mussels

Re: Ebay and Paypal Question

Post by Mussels »

I have no idea what the answer is but your picture isn't showing on my browser.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

yeah you're looking 7-10 days before it clears fully.

I've nevr known it to be an issue, but it's a bit of a wait
ogri

Post by ogri »

Just tell buyer you will post when mney is in your acc, far too easy for sellers to get ripped on ebay/paypal :P
Ignorance is bliss
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I think eCheques only happen when ebayers don't have their bank funding/back up set up properly. So its often a trait of a scammer as they set up, buy, bounce and run. I'm sure I set my account up to not accept them. I certainly wouldn't accept them if they came through anyway.
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Cheers guys. Payment cleared in the end...
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm I think eCheques only happen when ebayers don't have their bank funding/back up set up properly. So its often a trait of a scammer as they set up, buy, bounce and run. I'm sure I set my account up to not accept them. I certainly wouldn't accept them if they came through anyway.
I'm deffo going to see if I can set account up to reject them. The whole transaction has that uneasy feel about it so even tho it's paid and tracked as delivered & signed for I'm kinda expecting the worst. By the worst I mean some dispute along the lines of 'it's arrived broken' etc :|

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid
WelshDragon

Post by WelshDragon »

Dutchman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:33 pm
Taipan wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:15 pm I think eCheques only happen when ebayers don't have their bank funding/back up set up properly. So its often a trait of a scammer as they set up, buy, bounce and run. I'm sure I set my account up to not accept them. I certainly wouldn't accept them if they came through anyway.
I'm deffo going to see if I can set account up to reject them. The whole transaction has that uneasy feel about it so even tho it's paid and tracked as delivered & signed for I'm kinda expecting the worst. By the worst I mean some dispute along the lines of 'it's arrived broken' etc :|

Hopefully I'm just being paranoid
This has happened to me on a couple of ebay refunds against an original credit card payment made to an international clothing company. I thought this delay was ebay having me on and delaying refunding the money to hold it in their account for longer. I contacted ebay and they said the refund was an echeck because the firm didn’t have enough funds in their account. I contacted the firm and they said there were no issues with their bank account and it was ebay. The upshot was that I had to wait and yes after 7 to 10 days the refund cleared back to my credit card. There was no way a multinational company didn’t have enough funds, so I do think ebay has changed something.
Personally I think ebay have fiddled with their systems but of course all I got was ‘he says, she says’ and never bottomed it out. It seems tobe something that does happen though.....
Last edited by WelshDragon on Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s for living, so let’s get on with it! :P
Dutchman

Post by Dutchman »

Ha I'm not paranoid. Punter is claiming it's damaged. Have asked him to whatsapp or email a photo and it's gone quiet.

Should have trusted my instincts and binned off the whole transaction. Fortunately paid the extra for the parcelforce insurance. :x