Winter gloves

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
v8-powered

Re: Winter gloves

Post by v8-powered »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:06 pm
v8-powered wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 6:46 am What's the score with Motocard these days, do we get hit for vat and import duty?
For stuff under £135: There’s no import duty and online EU retailers should have added the UK’s VAT at the point of sale: https://www.gov.uk/goods-sent-from-abroad/tax-and-duty
Excellent, thanks. Their website isn't that clear and states that duties may be payable.
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

@v8-powered I also found the Government's website unclear, but this article explains it better: EU website purchases: the import charges UK customers have to pay
dern

Post by dern »

The Held air and dry gloves I have are pretty good but nothing works as well as muffs and heated grips.
Horse

Post by Horse »

dern wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 10:26 am but nothing works as well as muffs and heated grips.
A heated jacket will keep your body core warm, so allowing increased blood flow to the extremities.

Using one, I've switched heated grips off.
I really won't mind if you explain things for me.
dern

Post by dern »

Never found a need for heated clothing. Winter/ski thermals have always been fine and way cheaper. Heard that they are good if you're happy with the cost/wires though. Interesting idea for keeping your hands warm though.
Horse

Post by Horse »

dern wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:04 pm Never found a need for heated clothing. Winter/ski thermals have always been fine and way cheaper. Heard that they are good if you're happy with the cost/wires though. Interesting idea for keeping your hands warm though.
It could be argued that if you need heated grips and bar muffs, then you are feeling the cold enough to benefit from a jacket instead. The faffing with wires? One cable to be threaded through to the outside world. I made up an extender, but some suits even have a hidden hole for one!

First time I used mine was a 132 mile ride in temperatures just above freezing. Ok, I was behind an RT fairing, but after a while I switched the grips off. I arrived home and just had cold toes.

As I said earlier, it can be shocking how much heat you lose.
I really won't mind if you explain things for me.
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Bought some Held ones last year that seem very good.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... rod/111571

Good to wear as well as warn and dry. Some glove make you feel like a polar bear trying to do a Rubik's Cube in terms of feel, but these are nice.
Tart 1b - robbed of first place by the Mockney Geezer.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:15 pm
dern wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:04 pm Never found a need for heated clothing. Winter/ski thermals have always been fine and way cheaper. Heard that they are good if you're happy with the cost/wires though. Interesting idea for keeping your hands warm though.
It could be argued that if you need heated grips and bar muffs, then you are feeling the cold enough to benefit from a jacket instead. The faffing with wires? One cable to be threaded through to the outside world. I made up an extender, but some suits even have a hidden hole for one!

First time I used mine was a 132 mile ride in temperatures just above freezing. Ok, I was behind an RT fairing, but after a while I switched the grips off. I arrived home and just had cold toes.

As I said earlier, it can be shocking how much heat you lose.
Similar effect with a heated seat. The arteries through the groin carry a lot of blood and if you can get a bit more heat into it you can keep your feet a bit warmer. Which is nice. :thumbup:
My spine is the bass line.
Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

Yamaha rocket 3
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

Gerbing Xr. I've had them 4 or 5 years and there's little sign of wear. I've had hot grips but prefer gloves as the heating element runs down the fingers and they're easier to move from bike to bike.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Gerb ... 26645.aspx
Lockdown refugee
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Trinity765 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 4:23 pm Gerbing Xr. I've had them 4 or 5 years and there's little sign of wear. I've had hot grips but prefer gloves as the heating element runs down the fingers and they're easier to move from bike to bike.

https://www.thevisorshop.com/en/gb/Gerb ... 26645.aspx
Both good options that bid jump.at if I were doing big miles still nut I only do 6 miles a day, take longer to get plugged in than my journey.

Think I'll just get something Goretex and not too much like welding gauntlets .....
formula400

Post by formula400 »

so after a few rides in the Five gloves I am not a massive fan, they are just a little bulky for my liking, might get some muffs, but not sure if they will work with my bar end mirrors
MT 07 :mrgreen:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

gremlin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 pm Bought some Held ones last year that seem very good.

Good to wear as well as warn and dry. Some glove make you feel like a polar bear trying to do a Rubik's Cube in terms of feel, but these are nice.
Coz I can't edit the post now.....

Having worn said Held gloves recently, when the temp was showing a 4.5 degrees, they've been plenty warm enough, not even had to turn on the heated grips. Nice and comfy too. Deffo receommend them. :thumbup:
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

formula400 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm so after a few rides in the Five gloves I am not a massive fan, they are just a little bulky for my liking, might get some muffs, but not sure if they will work with my bar end mirrors
Any time I've fitted 'One-size-fits-none' muffs, I've always taken the end weights off the bars, made a hole and fitted the weights over the muffs. It makes them more secure for one, which stops them flapping and flopping, plus you get them positioned just where you want them. Ditto mirrors.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:33 am
gremlin wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:19 pm Bought some Held ones last year that seem very good.

Coz I can't edit the post now.....

Having worn said Held gloves recently, when the temp was showing a 4.5 degrees, they've been plenty warm enough, not even had to turn on the heated grips. Nice and comfy too. Deffo receommend them. :thumbup:
Cheers for the update, been looking at these on SBS and just seen a Black Friday thing land in my email so may give them a try.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 am
formula400 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:48 pm so after a few rides in the Five gloves I am not a massive fan, they are just a little bulky for my liking, might get some muffs, but not sure if they will work with my bar end mirrors
Any time I've fitted 'One-size-fits-none' muffs, I've always taken the end weights off the bars, made a hole and fitted the weights over the muffs. It makes them more secure for one, which stops them flapping and flopping, plus you get them positioned just where you want them. Ditto mirrors.

Sounds like a plan, at least that way I can keep the short summer gloves
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

gremlin wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:36 am
Just bear in mind when you put the bar end weights back on you test fit them a lot before riding. Screw them on too tight and the throttle tube will stick which could seriously ruin your day at the first junction you get to ;)

On the Tucano Urbano muffs i had there was already a hole in the end for the fitment . i used them on a GS1150 for 5 years winter riding and then on the Multi for another 3 years winter riding. Tried to fit them to the Fazer but no joy so far ..... i will keep trying to adapt them to fit as they are desinged to fit round a mirror on the bar but the Fazer has fairing mounted mirrors

These are designed to fit over handguards , the Ducati has indicators on the handguards so i managed to get them to fit behind but it was snug

Not pretty but a superb solution for winter riding with warmth and comfort
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Just as an update, decided to stick with Richa as had decent results with their winter gloves.
Got a pair of Richa Cold Protect Gore-tex - first impressions are good - fit well and warm without being too bulky.
formula400

Post by formula400 »

tell you what, coming home tonight, my hands were roasting hot, muffs and heated grips, the way forward.