Local beef (meat) vs vegan stuff flown in!

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
wull

Re: Local beef (meat) vs vegan stuff flown in!

Post by wull »

I don’t mind vegans on the basis that you can eat what you want and do what you want, within reason that is.

What I can’t stand is the vegans that throw it in your face, the ones that are like “look at me, I’m a vegan”……….

“No mate, you’re just a cunt”……….
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

How do you know if someone is a 'vegan'?

Give 'em 30 seconds and they'll tell you.
My spine is the bass line.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Anyone who turns fussy eating into a lifestyle is a twat, same goes for people who turn sexuality or a method of transport into a lifestyle.
The fat cheese is hard to please
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

wull wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:38 pm I don’t mind vegans on the basis that you can eat what you want and do what you want, within reason that is.

What I can’t stand is the vegans that throw it in your face, the ones that are like “look at me, I’m a vegan”……….

“No mate, you’re just a cunt”……….
I usually don't mind but when they come to visit and I put loads of effort into making sure everything is vegan (including long conversations with Waitrose staff and them hunting the store for me) and then find out they are only vegan when it suits them, then they can go fuck themselves.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

That's just reminded me that a pal and his missus are here for a week early December.
She's lovely but very strict vegan.
She'll buy her own stuff for BBQs and we have spare tongs etc.

But does limit what Pen can cook and where we eat out. We always take pals on 4wd tours and end up at a nice bar in the country for nosh. They aren't sort of places to cater for vegans :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:20 pm That's just reminded me that a pal and his missus are here for a week early December.

But does limit what Pen can cook and where we eat out. We always take pals on 4wd tours and end up at a nice bar in the country for nosh. They aren't sort of places to cater for vegans :(
Carry a cabbage and tell her its a picnic.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

weeksy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:36 pm
Yorick wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 12:20 pm That's just reminded me that a pal and his missus are here for a week early December.

Carry a cabbage and tell her its a picnic.
I knew you'd be funny eventually :obscene-birdiedoublered: :banana-wrench:
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Noggin wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:35 pm

I probably won't get into it with her again. Just not worth it with some people. But I just fancied having more info to argue in general, cos some of these people are quite unpleasant about 'normal' diets, so in that situation I want to throw info back :D

So cheers for the extra :thumbup:
Every vegan I've ever met has been a preachy dickhead.

Tell them to fuck off.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bigjawa wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:17 am Every vegan I've ever met has been a preachy dickhead.

Tell them to fuck off.
What about the Vegans you met without realising it?

How would you have known they were vegan? This is the problem with the common "vegans are preachy" trope. Its somewhat biased by the fact you have no idea how many "silent" vegans you've met.

All you're actually saying is preachy dicks are preachy.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:21 am
Bigjawa wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 8:17 am Every vegan I've ever met has been a preachy dickhead.

Tell them to fuck off.

How would you have known they were vegan? This is the problem with the common "vegans are preachy" trope. Its somewhat biased by the fact you have no idea how many "silent" vegans you've met.

But that's the thing. People who are vegan and only mention it if you ask about food for catering - no issues. I would quite like to talk to someone about it at some point because it must be a serious challenge to find all the nutrients on such a restrictive diet (I haven't read up on it, I'd prefer to have a conversation some time)

But mostly, people I meet that say they are vegan follow it with the 'saving the planet/saving animals' and 'the rest of us are ignorant and uncaring because we still eat animal products' lectures. Despite them having a big 4x4 outside and other non saving the planet stuff, wearing leather, etc

It's a bit like non smokers that lecture others. It's personal choice and no one wants to be preached at!!

So, if the only vegans BigJawa have met have been preachy, he's just not met the more 'normal' ones!!!
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Certain people love a cause....what can you do eh?

Like I said, how would you know if you even met a "normal" one. It is like saying all football fans are violent thugs.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

I love meeting involuntary vegans who have been told by their wives they now live in a vegan household, I'll try and slip them a bigmac as a charitable act.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

It's somewhat biased by the fact you have no idea how many "silent" vegans you've met.

That's because it never happens :thumbup:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 pm That's because it never happens :thumbup:
Doesn't it getting boring asking every single person you meet "are you a Vegan?" and then keeping a record of how many of them told you that before hand? :D
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:30 pm
Mr Moofo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:24 pm That's because it never happens :thumbup:
Doesn't it getting boring asking every single person you meet "are you a Vegan?" and then keeping a record of how many of them told you that before hand? :D
Nope - never had to ask one, ever. They have always volunteered the information with the first few minutes of talking to them. However that is not the same with vegetarians - they seem to have realised that what you chose to eat doesn't have to define you. And that is in 40 years of woking in the food industry - talking a lot about food :D

TBH, I don't care what eating habits people chose to follow - it is all tickety boo until you start using it as a stick to beat people about their lifestyle choices. Just as they can follow any exercise regime, religion or cold water swimming habit.
Plenty of choice around - TBH if you just want to eat Cheetos and nothing else, that is fine with me
I do have ( as many here have mentioned) get naffed off with people with faux allergies / faux veganism / faux vegetarianism/ faux kosher or halal. I am happy as Larry if people want to rock the "flexatarian" trend and eat less meat. But eating less meat doesn't mean you are a vegetarian.
And being a vegan means you do not use any animal products - not just when it suits.

In answer to your eire, it's great if you have decided to become vegan. But feel free to keep it to yourself. And don't wear leather to ride in, or for your gloves.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I'm not vegan, I'm just amused by the whole "everyone who's told me they're vegan has told me they're vegan" tautology. :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

We used to have a hillfarm, we farmed sheep on the fells (common land but hefted sheep kept more or less to a certain area) during the summer and brought em onto our land where it wasn't quite so harsh during winter.
We also had grassfed (during summer) beefstock cattle (but as Cumbrian farmers do we called em Beasts) which we fed hay and cowcake during winter.
The water we fed them fell from the sky, the grass was naturally green and not irrigated to fook.

Not many air/shipping miles involved in that lot and if theres one thing Cumbrias not short of its rain.

I don't know about methane production from cows, well, I do and I know its an issue but I don't have the numbers from our crappy little hillfarm.
I'm not dead set on being a meateater, its nice but I can see its fucking up our planet, worse from factory farming in some arid shithole where water is pulled out of a depleted aquifer, then the meat is flown halfway across the world and packaged in masses of plastic.
I like meat, but don't have to eat it every single day just to prove to the world I'm a bloke...Grrr.
Thats just for saddos.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

demographic wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:08 pm We used to have a hillfarm, we farmed sheep on the fells (common land but hefted sheep kept more or less to a certain area) during the summer and brought em onto our land where it wasn't quite so harsh during winter.
We also had grassfed (during summer) beefstock cattle (but as Cumbrian farmers do we called em Beasts) which we fed hay and cowcake during winter.
The water we fed them fell from the sky, the grass was naturally green and not irrigated to fook.

Not many air/shipping miles involved in that lot and if theres one thing Cumbrias not short of its rain.

I don't know about methane production from cows, well, I do and I know its an issue but I don't have the numbers from our crappy little hillfarm.
I'm not dead set on being a meateater, its nice but I can see its fucking up our planet, worse from factory farming in some arid shithole where water is pulled out of a depleted aquifer, then the meat is flown halfway across the world and packaged in masses of plastic.
I like meat, but don't have to eat it every single day just to prove to the world I'm a bloke...Grrr.
Thats just for saddos.
I eat meat because it's yummy.

I could accept not eating meat, if the wife liked fish. Sadly she hates fish.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Tell them to fuck off.

The mere sight of a sausage roll sets them off, they'll sit and look at you like you're disemboweling a piglet.

Silent vegans are like sweet natured Jack Russells or shopkeepers that don't sell multipack cans individually, they don't exist.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Mrs Dazzle would buy me meat from the supermarket without complaint for the 10 years she was vegan.

I worked with a guy at my old place for 5 years before I knew he was Vegan.

YMMV :lol: