Himalayan Longevity?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigjawa

Himalayan Longevity?

Post by Bigjawa »

Thinking about buying a Himalayan for blattering the 10 miles to work. Found one of 2020 vintage for a touch under 4k. 3k on the clock, one owner, immaculate etc.

The question is, had anyone done big miles on one? I'm going to using it day in and out and in all weathers. The commute will be mostly on B roads with about 30 miles of motorway a week.

TIA
Taipan

Re: Himalayan Longevity?

Post by Taipan »

Col has one but I can't think of his TRC name. He's been trapsing round Europe on his with no problems. A guy at work has one but I have to say the engine does sound like a toolbox falling down the stairs!
Lutin

Post by Lutin »

36,000 Kilometre review from herself - Itchy Boots

Blundering about trying not to make too much of a hash of things.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

BigJawa wrote:Himalayan Longevity?
About 50 million years...

...oh, you mean the bike.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Lutin wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:23 pm 36,000 Kilometre review from herself - Itchy Boots

Noraly loves them ;)

She has had 2 on her assorted trips on various parts of the world, 1 in India and around there and the second one in South America where she was doing the whole Americas trip till COVID hit in Peru and she had to leave the bike to fly back to Holland . Things to remember its a small engine at 410 and 70 mph is pretty much the most it wants to be over a long period without strain on open roads. There has been talk of a 600/650 version for ages but no appearance so far although from what i have read it seems to be the factory have green lit the go ahead last month

Fellow instructor also has one and he rates it highly as a really good "plodding along" bike
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

As Taipan says, I have one. On 10,000 miles now, no issues apart from an electrical drain issue sorted with a decent battery.

Did a 3000 mile tour of Spain, the Pyranees
the Picos, Portugal and back across Spain to home. Never missed a beat and never saw a motorway on that trip. Good earplugs are advantageous as its a bit noisy mechanically.

I have used it on motorways, mine will lollop along at 75/80 mph, but if I need to do big mileage quickly and at speed, I have other bikes. See quite a Himalayans on ADV websites with 50,000 plus miles on them. I have also seen a few Chinese 125's do the same, so look after it and big mileage is no problem.

Many owners are now putting in different cams, big bore kits, booster plugs removing EVAP, tweaking the TMP, etc, in seach or more power. Accept that it only has 24 bhp and work with that.

Two mates came over for MotoGP last week, and we went out on my bikes. Both thought the Himalayan was great on the badly surfaced single track lanes we rode on, and much better that the Street Triple and Deauville. It really works on back lanes and gravel roads, of which hundreds surround my home. Which was why I bought it in the first place. If I ever sell it, it will be replaced with another.

Horses for courses.
Last edited by Whysub on Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Just found out they have same front brake pads as the Husky :banana-wrench:
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm Just found out they have same front brake pads as the Husky :banana-wrench:
Which has reminded me, the front brake on the Himalayan need a bloody big tug to work on the road. EBC pads make them better, but they are perfect off road for me.

If anyone knows if a master cylinder from another bike fits, I'd like to know. A few Chinese "Brembo Style" ones are available, but something proven and safe preferred!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Whysub wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:05 pm
Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:19 pm Just found out they have same front brake pads as the Husky :banana-wrench:
Which has reminded me, the front brake on the Himalayan need a bloody big tug to work on the road. EBC pads make them better, but they are perfect off road for me.

If anyone knows if a master cylinder from another bike fits, I'd like to know. A few Chinese "Brembo Style" ones are available, but something proven and safe preferred!
Yeah. The Husky brake is shit as well :D
The disc keeps glazing over. Just ordered some sintered pads to stop the glazing.

The brakes on Pen's cheapo 125 Will lift the back wheel. As she proved last week :obscene-birdiedoublered: