That’s not a knife...

Anything from pizza to pasta, from steak to cake.
Nordboy

Re: That’s not a knife...

Post by Nordboy »

Love my three Global kitchen knives, had them as a leaving pressie from a catering job 23 yrs ago and they’re still fantastic to use. Should get some more I think.

As for other knives, I have a fixed blade Fallkniven which is a beast. It looks and feels amazing and it’s the one I want to take into zombie battle with!!
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

OK I’m sending off for a 6” Global knife.

If it’s shit, you’re all in big trouble.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:37 pm 6”
If it’s shit, you’re all in big trouble.
That's not a....

Oh, right.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Nordboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 am As for other knives, I have a fixed blade Fallkniven which is a beast. It looks and feels amazing and it’s the one I want to take into zombie battle with!!

What is it?
I had three Fallkniven knives, a U2 (totally my favourite, not in the least bit flashy but just a great small blade) a TK 4 which isn't a kick in the arse off the U2 but its got the three crowns logo and to me its a bit too flashy. Possibly cos I read the three crowns refer to the father, son and blah blah blah, yeah whatever.
Great knife, but my wife snaffled it and I prefer the U2 anyway.

Oh and I have a F1 blade blank, bought it years ago for £35 and although its a good steel not got to putting scales on it. Seems they're pretty expensive now and I'll get to it eventually.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Kin knives recently announced they were discontinuing the Kinchef range which is a shame as I’d been hankering after the Gyuto 180mm from the range which is now out of stock :(

I messaged them via FB and they replied saying that sadly there were out of stock of new knives in that shape and size but would I like the owner’s demo knife at a significant discount, I didn’t need asking twice! :D :D

It arrived today and although a little battle scarred, has been sharpened to perfection and put straight to use.

I’m now toying with an in bench knife rack (i.e. slot through the worktop with a plinth to raise the handles slightly. If it works, I’ll do the same when the kitchen is refitted in the future, if not, I won’t bother ;)
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

I've been using Global knives in the kitchen for the last 15 years and they still look pretty much like new, despite regular sharpening, however one of the downsides of lockdown is having too much time to browse the internet, so I now also have a couple of Japanese VG10 knives, a decent whetstone and a ceramic rod, and I take great pleasure in having kitchen knives that effortlessly shave the hair off your arm. The Globals have been relegated to "second" knives. Just hope I never drop one of the new ones on my foot. Knocked the odd Global off the counter in the past, I like to be barefoot at home so an amazing high-stepping dance ensues until it settles on the floor ...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

So, this little devil arrived today.

Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

demographic wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:11 pm
Nordboy wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 6:46 am As for other knives, I have a fixed blade Fallkniven which is a beast. It looks and feels amazing and it’s the one I want to take into zombie battle with!!

What is it?
I had three Fallkniven knives, a U2 (totally my favourite, not in the least bit flashy but just a great small blade) a TK 4 which isn't a kick in the arse off the U2 but its got the three crowns logo and to me its a bit too flashy. Possibly cos I read the three crowns refer to the father, son and blah blah blah, yeah whatever.
Great knife, but my wife snaffled it and I prefer the U2 anyway.

Oh and I have a F1 blade blank, bought it years ago for £35 and although its a good steel not got to putting scales on it. Seems they're pretty expensive now and I'll get to it eventually.
It’s the S1, full of nordic loveliness!
demographic

Post by demographic »

Nordboy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 pm It’s the S1, full of nordic loveliness!
About as understated as its possible to be, just good quality without looking the least bit flash.
Pretty much the way I think of my little U2 but I would say also applicable to the S1 as well.

You know its good and don't need everyone else to even look at it.
Silly Car

Post by Silly Car »

Update on the knives, I managed to pick up a 180mm Gyuto just as Kin dropped that range of knives having stocked them for years. They are all as great as expected, I’ve had to tickle the edge of the 175/180mm knives as they get the most use but they’ll be going back to Kin for a sharpen in the new year.

I also picked up a 300mm bread knife from them, what a beast of a knife, it cuts through bread effortlessly as you’d expect, it also does quite a lot of damage to fingers…

…not mine, a mate was slicing up some bread and he caught his index finger which was plastered up and off he went. Hours later his finger is throbbing so he took off the plaster with the end result of blood spurting all over. His nurse wife had a look and he’d gone through the nail and into the nail bed without even realising. He’s now got a canny scar across and around his finger.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I recently bought a whetstone for sharpening my knifes. One of those big house brick sized double sided ones.

I used my thumbs as a guide. Put the pad of my thumb on the back side of the blade, the edge of the knife pretty much in the centre of the pad. That way I could then keep my thumbs against the stone as I rubbed and hold the blade at a consistent angle. Worked a treat, but I didn't realise at the time I was very slowly and gently polishing the edge of my thumbs off.

That hurt a but in the morning. Ready salted crisps were off the menu for a while too.
demographic

Post by demographic »

Bought a little un with ZDP 189 powder metal steel, that stuff holds a bloody good edge well.
Its not good for those fucking wallies who want to sharpen their knife on their front step and with that it takes a long time to sharpen but I use a diamond hone and a green (chromium oxide?) coated leather strop and its fine with that setup.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Nordboy wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:48 pm
It’s the S1, full of nordic loveliness!
I have an S1.
I dropped it by accident a few years ago and it ruined my best pair of camping boots by slicing right through them, I was lucky it went right between my toes. My wife asked me how I ruined my boots just a couple of weeks ago, because I still wear them if it isn't raining, and she didn't believe it was just from a dropped knife.

My S1 was given to me in Afghanistan, I don't know the circumstances of how a limited run of these were made but I did a job with a special mixed nationality unit and the boss gave me this in a nice presentation case in front of everyone for a job well done, it reads ISAF and Afghanistan etched on the blade.
Attachments
S1.JPG
S1.JPG (74.86 KiB) Viewed 84 times
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

What's the little semi circle at the bottom of the blade for?
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 9:40 am What's the little semi circle at the bottom of the blade for?
Stop the blood running down onto the handle.
Maxxx17

Post by Maxxx17 »

Nice knives!