KTM's and Carpal tunnel

Anything you like about motorbikes
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

KTM's and Carpal tunnel

Post by Jody »

Whilst I am enjoying my 690 it's not all rosey! I know I have carpal tunnel and I'm hoping to put things in place to get an operation soonish as the stretching it out I've been doing for the last 5 years isn't working anymore! But this bike plays hell with it. Riding out of Plymouth today I was getting really uncomfortable before I'd even reached the moors. It settles if I take my hand off the bars for a bit but as it's my right that has it bad, that's not so practical ! When I get some clear road and have a good little blast, it's a matter of a few minutes before I have to do something about it !

ANy other RTTL clan suffer and got any good advice ?
Horse

Re: KTM's and Carpal tunnel

Post by Horse »

Don't delay the op. If you get any nerve damage, it may not 'heal'.

I had surgery on my left wrist about 7 or 8 months after start of symptoms. I still get tingles in the fingertips. Right wrist done much quicker, no effects now.

Sample of one person ;)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yeah, the 690 isn't ideal for it. I think it's the throttle angle/pull/position. I got it when going to Germany after 3-4 hours. I don't get it on other bikes.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Looking at the pictures on your other thread the bars look quite straight and wide, you might be better off with a bit more sweep on the bars, try a Honda bend rather than a KTM bend, in dirt bikes I always found Honda CR250 shape bars to be comfiest.
Honda Owner
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Yep I've got it in my left ( I'm left-handed )- it's been slightly annoying (although I have to admit I actually enjoy the feeling of pins and needles/numbness if I don't have to do anything with that hand :D ) , and not really been a major problem for me until I slipped off the 390 at Pembrey a few months ago, I somehow really twatted my left hand and think I must have damaged nerves as ever since then its been a lot worse and a real pain - manageable on the bike as it's my left, but it's waking me up every night even wearing support and is getting really tedious, so I invoked BUPA a couple of weeks ago. They've given me a load of exercises to do but TBH no difference that I can tell so far, so am guessing that it's going to need surgery at some point.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mine started (well, the first I was aware of it) on the first day at work (and riding) after Xmas/NY break. Dr gave me antinflamatories, didn't make any difference. Referral a few days later, op in (roughly) Aug. Second started playing up almost immediately (surgeon said it would ("we're made as a matched pair"), so no referral wait. Done in December ish.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:46 pm Looking at the pictures on your other thread the bars look quite straight and wide, you might be better off with a bit more sweep on the bars, try a Honda bend rather than a KTM bend, in dirt bikes I always found Honda CR250 shape bars to be comfiest.
The bike came to me with awful flat bars on risers which I've replaced with OE spec items.
Hairybiker84

Post by Hairybiker84 »

I had suffered for years, when I bought the 955 Daytona I did the bar swap which made a massive improvement but eventually I wasn't getting more than about 3 hours undisturbed sleep a night so got booked in for surgery.
Had both done together, in spite of the surgeons protestations! Was a bit 'awkward' for about 4 days but, thanks to the pain killers, my wife only had to wipe my arse once :D
It's made a massive improvement but I don't have the dexterity or grip strength I did. Occasionally drop things sometimes now, it seems like my hands don't realise that they are easing their grip and I have to make a conscious effort to keep hold of something I really don't want to drop, hey ho, the plus' definitely out weigh the minus'.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Sorry can't help as I find the 690 really comfy for hours. Sounds like a right twat of a problem :thumbdown:

Only issue I've had is you have to change gear so much that when I've had a break from the bike for a few weeks I get cramp in my left leg if I go out for a few hours.