Trackers and Alarms

Anything you like about motorbikes
MingtheMerciless

Trackers and Alarms

Post by MingtheMerciless »

Not had an alarmed bike for a few years but I might be getting something new soon and was wondering what trackers/alarms people use and what they recommend or have had issues with. Bike will be going in an Asgard shed with an Almax V chain and anchor but I'd like the extra peace of mind a tracker system would give when I'm out and about.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Trackers and Alarms

Post by weeksy »

none for me... not convinced they do much in honesty, apart from causing electrical issues over batteries etc.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Last bike I had with an alarm, I had it taken off. Hate them and not convinced they do much but drain batteries. Trackers seem a good idea for high value bikes but not had one myself.
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

When we had a motorhome I fitted one off ebay. It was about £30 and then £4 a month for the web site and data link to track it. No alarms. But the kids could track us across Europe, it was a laugh to see our track when we got lost. It was never needed in anger.

If you want insurance quality then another matter, lots of £££ involved for a properly monitored one.

A quick scan of ebay, this is more or less what I fitted. Just needs two power wires and hide it. The minute they chop the battery it's finished.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Teltonika-FM ... Swh9dey6-p
Brian
exportman

Post by exportman »

Hi

Have a look at V trackers by Vodafone from under £ 25.00 to buy + £2.00 per month. Not the most accurate if they don't have a clear view of the sky but they work. The V Multi Tracker is about the size of an Oreo the battery will ast a few days but you really need to power them from a USB permanently on the bike which is OK if you have a trickle charger or you can guaranteed to ride every other day.

They are not insurance quality but do give you a location to look for your missing stuff in and are easy to hide
TightRS

Post by TightRS »

I read the other week about how eventually when 2G / 3G phone networks get shut down it'll bugger lots of basic cheap tracking systems. Some countries have done so already and 3G might go first.

It'll probably be many years off, but looking at the £140 Monimoto tracker (2G) there's a 2G/3G model elsewhere for £180.
-works in countries where 2G is switched off (USA, etc);

-consumes 30% more energy, so battery lifetime is 3-4 months shorter. The reason for that is the below improvements:

1. It provides more accurate GSM approximate location, which helps a lot when GPS signal is not available (underground garages, GPS signal is jammed and so on);

2. Better chances to get a GSM connection. MM6 covers both, 2G and 3G networks - if the 3G signal is low, it will search for 2G service provider and connect to it (and vice versa).
https://www.forbes.com/sites/simonrockm ... 158e667cd8

https://www.emnify.com/blog/global-2g-phase-out