New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Discussing your new helmet, jacket, boots, luggage
GuzziPaul

Re: New riding kit, what have you bought lately and why?

Post by GuzziPaul »

Hot_Air wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:17 am
GuzziPaul wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 1:02 pm Arai QV helmet. Got it before Xmas but only worn it 3 times so far and yesterday was the first ime with tinted visor. Much quieter than my old Shoei, maybe because it's tighter.
The quietness is good to know. I thought that Shoei lids were quieter than Arai? Maybe I'll see if there are any deals on Arai QV's.
I've had three or four Arais before the Shoei, then back to the Arai QV as I wanted the rounder shell. I believe the QV has the same shell as the RX7 but is the touring version with less sticking out vents.
It has a removable chin/neck cover (as well as the pull down chin piece) I've got it removed at the moment to get some more air through. That may make some difference to the noise coming up from below. Had it up to about 110mph and it seems steady enough on a Tuono with double bubble screen.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

weeksy wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:41 am
scottyuk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 pm
weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:07 am What's the difference between street and track then ?
The types of crash you have, the forces involved, etc. That's why most of the manufacturers only make them specifically for one purpose. Some can swap modes by uploading a whole new software version from a laptop. I've not seen another that can be just switched between the two modes so easily.
Yeah but what does it do differently ?
It means I can use it on Street and Track :)
For the user that is the difference. The actual difference is all in the logic that it runs through 1000 times a second. They keep tweaking it based on the accidents where they're involved.

All I need to know it Street works best for road user and Track works best for track. I don't know the details of the actual algorithm differences but I don't need to.
scottyuk

Post by scottyuk »

Horse wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:22 am
scottyuk wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:21 pm For some reason I thought it was time I got one of these airbag vests ... or rather I just stopped justifying not getting one.

I did all the sizing checks on all my gear etc and then went and tried one one. So much lighter and thinner than I expected. Maybe 25% bigger than the back protector it's replacing and I don't notice the weight difference at all.

It can switch from Street to Track mode via the phone app in a couple of seconds.

Do they specify that it's a replacement, rather than supplement, to a back protector, and that you should remove it?

Edit: "Horse, why are you asking questions? Google it!" So I did.
– Integrated CE back protector

Edit 2: Reading further down the page, did you go one-off payment or installments? How did you decide?
It's only CE level 1 as a back protector on it's own.

I decided to pay £145 per year - that's £120 for Street and and £25 for track. I ride all year so annual made sense. After three years I could buy it outright for €99. This also means I get warranty for all the time I'm paying and a replacement in 48 hours if there's an issue. You can also have a free upgrade after three years to the latest model.

If you buy it outright to start it's £399. For that you get 2 years warranty.

The only thing I don't like is that the on/off button it high up on the back. If it was lower you could turn it off and on whilst wearing it but I'll see if this is an issue of this coming long weekend of riding.
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 am A new Arai Tour X4 to replace my very old one in diamond black. It's a great bit of kit, with a nice field of view and I like the looks. The new one has a heavily revised venting system is it'll be interesting to see how that copes with cold damp commutes and visor misting.
The new venting doesnt make too much difference in all honesty ...... for visor misting fit a pinlock as it will solve it all and the visor comes with the mounts fitted already. I actually thought the helmet comes supplied with a pinlock insert.

I have 3 helmets i use, all are fitted with pinlocks on both clear and black visors

I also wear a Foggy mask in my Tour X4 as it keeps the airflow off my eyes as i have some sensitivity there due to nerve damage

weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

scottyuk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 pm
scottyuk wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:50 pm

The types of crash you have, the forces involved, etc. That's why most of the manufacturers only make them specifically for one purpose. Some can swap modes by uploading a whole new software version from a laptop. I've not seen another that can be just switched between the two modes so easily.
For the user that is the difference. The actual difference is all in the logic that it runs through 1000 times a second. They keep tweaking it based on the accidents where they're involved.

All I need to know it Street works best for road user and Track works best for track. I don't know the details of the actual algorithm differences but I don't need to.
I'm still lost... 'works' in what way ? Algorithm that does what? I'm still properly confused. I'd assume if you go down, it goes pop.... why does it pop differently ?
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 pm
MingtheMerciless wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:15 am A new Arai Tour X4 to replace my very old one in diamond black. It's a great bit of kit, with a nice field of view and I like the looks. The new one has a heavily revised venting system is it'll be interesting to see how that copes with cold damp commutes and visor misting.
The new venting doesnt make too much difference in all honesty ...... for visor misting fit a pinlock as it will solve it all and the visor comes with the mounts fitted already. I actually thought the helmet comes supplied with a pinlock insert.

I have 3 helmets i use, all are fitted with pinlocks on both clear and black visors

I also wear a Foggy mask in my Tour X4 as it keeps the airflow off my eyes as i have some sensitivity there due to nerve damage

I have sensitive eyes as a result of shingles / scleritis - but I find Foggy masks really claustrophobic ....
Wish I could use them...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:05 am
scottyuk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:27 pm

I'm still lost... 'works' in what way ? Algorithm that does what? I'm still properly confused. I'd assume if you go down, it goes pop.... why does it pop differently ?
Other manufacturers state that track mode enables 2 inflation before requiring a recharge, so it'll go off, deflate and then have enough gas left to inflate again to allow you to carry on in the race, whereas their street mode is a one off accident event dumping all the gas into the airbag in one hit.

These guys however don't appear to state the difference within their online literature
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Race mode will tolerate higher forces before triggering the airbag.
MrLongbeard wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:00 amOther manufacturers state that track mode enables 2 inflation before requiring a recharge
It only applies to Alpinestars’ airbags, which have two argon canisters. In the Tech-Air Race, Alpinestars decided that one cartridge provides sufficient inflation to protect from a typical crash on the track. But more protection is needed on the road, and the Tech-Air Street triggers both canisters for maximum protection.

Also, Dainese tailors its airbag protection further for road versus track crashes. The D-Air Road focuses on the maximum protection for the chest, plus some neck protection, because Dainese reckons chest injuries account for 80% of fatalities in road accidents. E.g. the D-Air Road jackets (Racing 3, Carve Master 2 and Tuono) have CE Level 2 Airbag protection for the chest. In contrast, the Astars systems have CE Level 1 Airbag protection but covering more of the torso and shoulders. I don't know about In&Motion.

This month’s issue (September) of RiDE magazine has a handy article about some of the current airbags.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

I actually thought the helmet comes supplied with a pinlock insert.

Ahem, there's one in the bottom of the box.......
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

A pair of Alpinestars shorty boots:

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/alp ... /34428.htm

Obviously last year's style, dahling, as they're selling them off. Ordered yesterday, arrived this morning. Been wearing them to check them out for comfort and they're dead comfy. Not on par with my adventure-style A* boots for safety, no doubt, but for commuting in a leather jacket and FT jeans in the summer, way more comfortable.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Do the 2 men sticking out the top not cause some turbulence?
Horse

Post by Horse »

He is the mythical 5th Teletubbie.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm
There are 3 men and its the Commando Monument at Spean Bridge :thumbup:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:41 am
Bigyin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 pm I actually thought the helmet comes supplied with a pinlock insert.
Ahem, there's one in the bottom of the box.......
Bwahahahaha ......... sorry, ahem what i meant to say was , problem sorted :)
Druid

Post by Druid »

Bigyin wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:27 pm
Supermofo wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:40 pm
There are 3 men and its the Commando Monument at Spean Bridge :thumbup:
I've got some really unusual pictures of the Commando Monument, the sky is blue and the sun is shining :)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Druid wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:48 pm
I've got some really unusual pictures of the Commando Monument, the sky is blue and the sun is shining :)
That must have been about 1530 on Wednesday the 8th of June 2012. It lasted an hour so legend goes before returning to normal cloud rain and grey sky :D
ajlog

Post by ajlog »

Biking Kit?

Although not anything wearable I think my latest purchase classes as kit.

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto

It’s the Beeline Sat Nav system.

For the most my rides consist of short runs out for fun and relaxation, rarely more than 1/2 a day out and generally going where the mood takes me keeping away from main roads and motorways as much as possible
Over the past year or so I have started to use my phone as a sat nav with the motorcycle specific Calimoto app to give me a better feel of whereabouts I am, set a random route, or to pick an interesting destination, it has helped enhance my rides giving them a bit more purpose.
So I am not using a sat nav for cross country tours or courier style best route to destination type thing.
However I have never been that keen on mounting a grands worth of phone on the bars and I am currently using a Quad Lock system, that is great but I have an older IPhone X and I have read a few horror stories of the newer phones with stabilised cameras getting damaged with such rigid mounts, when I upgrade I would need to find a new solution.
Plus there have been a few occasions when out I have found myself looking too long and hard at the map display on the phone, almost too much info adding to the distraction.

I came across this little route guidance option a few weeks back, and with a bit of research on the web it looked like it might be the type of thing I will find useful.

I got it yesterday, fitted the simple universal mount in a few seconds, downloaded the app and put the head on charge.
The app is a nice interface, pairs easily to the head unit and uses something like google maps so destination searches can be done with general terms rather than just by address.
Route planning looks very flexible from accepting the calculated route to fully customising with way points or even downloading GPX files from the web.
Then there is the compass mode where it simply shows you the direction and distance to your destination as the crow flies leaving you free to wander.

At about £150 it’s not too bad when you consider other sat nav devices or even add the cost of a dedicated navigation phone app subscription plus a decent mount.

Next is the acid test, hopefully I’ll have the chance to test it in use over the next couple of days.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

ajlog wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 12:11 pm Biking Kit?

Although not anything wearable I think my latest purchase classes as kit.

https://beeline.co/pages/beeline-moto
That looks pretty smart. Only thing I have with mine (bike specific TomTom 450) is at times I really need the map view to work out where I'm actually going on a complex junction. Esp as it can say bare left rather than turn left, when it is actually a turn or visa versa. But that's rarely much of a problem.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Today's purchase may be a bit Marmite. For me it's 100% awesome.

I'd made a decision yesterday on a helmet, but then after my new HJC sold for good money, I went bonkers and bought the helmet I really wanted.

Ready for a generation of modern riders that demand a NEW, old style. Introducing the Arai Rapide - a helmet with old-school cool, to fit your old-school style motorcycle, but with that modern Arai performance. Underneath the aggressive style of the Rapide you’ll find a strong, lightweight PB e-cLc shell, with a smooth and round shape, and VAS-VC shield system, with its retro mechanical look. Although a nod to the past, the Rapide is very much a helmet of the present. The Rapide HA pays homage to the origins of the Arai brand with the HA logo variant, used as tribute to Hirotake Arai
So a retro throwback to the old days of the 50s with old school cool (IMO).

I also wanted something a bit more stand out from the context of drivers etc.

I'm really really hoping it lives up to my expectations when it gets here.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

inewham wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 5:24 pm I really like that but you will get mobbed by little back flies in summer :lol:
I'm not going to actually wear it out!