Underrated bikes

Anything you like about motorbikes
JackyJoll

Re: Underrated bikes

Post by JackyJoll »

I rather liked my early 1980s Vespa 100. Not as clumsy as bigger scooters.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I got a ZX9R C2 in 99. Was damn good.
Took it to Cadwell and showed up many supposedly superior bikes ;)
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

This thread's got me looking at VFR1200s on eBay. They've got some gan in them.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I've no idea why the VFR1200 was such a flop. Honda gave it their all and who wouldn't want a big bore version of the 800?

They're cheap as chips. I like the Crosstourer, the ADV version, but they hold their money really really well.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Doesn't matter how objectively good you make a bike, people have to like it :D Honda seem pretty vulnerable to that!
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

CCM R30. CCM undeniably had build quality issues but my Rotax engine one was a fantastic bike. It survived winter a lot better than my KTM 640 did! X-bikes put a pumper carb on and I dropped a mid range cam in and bigger back sprocket. Wheelies in 3rd! Ran it snow, heavy rain and it never let me down. Probably the most fun I ever had on a bike!
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

ZX9E1, lovely bike, very quick, showed up my Boss at numerous track days on his GSXR1000. Only gripe that was that it had an unusual vibe that made you want a wee after 30 mins.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

The modern Speed Twin (1200cc). It may be a little early to say that it's underrated but it is certainly unassuming. It looks like a Bonneville/boring Triumph, but ride one and within a mile you'll have a big grin. It's comfortable, handles very well and is fast enough. I want one so that I can turn up on it and people will think "awww, look, a women with a Bonneville, cute" :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Lockdown refugee
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

JackyJoll wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 am I rather liked my early 1980s Vespa 100. Not as clumsy as bigger scooters.
My sister had the last one registered in the UK, it was actually quite nice to ride, a lot better than the 125 she traded it in for.
Honda Owner
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:45 pm
JackyJoll wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:28 am I rather liked my early 1980s Vespa 100. Not as clumsy as bigger scooters.
My sister had the last one registered in the UK, it was actually quite nice to ride, a lot better than the 125 she traded it in for.
The 100 was bit of a forgotten version of the Vespa. I think it was a development of the 90. As a low tuned two stroke, it used very little petrol.
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

And just to reinforce my virile rocker credentials, a Pre-unit Triton may be under-rated as a light, practical and “ordinary” piece of motor transport.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I don't think any of mine were underrated. But lots of people said things about two that I don't think were true

CBR1100xx - shit round corners, difficult to handle round corners, rubbish on track. The bits that were true were that it was indeed fat and heavy!! LOL
But bloody hell did it go round corners well. And I enjoyed my first 3 or 4 track days on it too and have seen some awesome photos of some of my friends with knees and elbows down on track (without crashing!!)
I figured it got that rep from journalists that rode it after being used to riding little light sports bikes - I'd never ridden a light sports bike before I had the BB and I learned to ride it (them!) pretty well in the 8 years I had them!! :D :D (I'd had a ZZR600 for 6 months over a winter before I got the first BB!)

TL1000s - Wheelie monster, shaky head, dangerous to ride. I didn't ever have any issues with this one. Less of a widow maker and more of a pussy cat! Even without the retro-fitted steering damper!! LOL And yes, it was the one I crashed, but that one can't be blamed on the bike!! LOL

The most interesting thing about those (and the ZX10r) was the sheer number of other riders that were surprised to horrified that it was a girl riding them!! LOL (With minimal chicken strips) :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: No one was ever surprised it was a girl riding a 390 Duke :(
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Skub

Post by Skub »

Noggin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:42 pm I don't think any of mine were underrated. But lots of people said things about two that I don't think were true

CBR1100xx - shit round corners, difficult to handle round corners, rubbish on track. The bits that were true were that it was indeed fat and heavy!! LOL
But bloody hell did it go round corners well. And I enjoyed my first 3 or 4 track days on it too and have seen some awesome photos of some of my friends with knees and elbows down on track (without crashing!!)
I figured it got that rep from journalists that rode it after being used to riding little light sports bikes - I'd never ridden a light sports bike before I had the BB and I learned to ride it (them!) pretty well in the 8 years I had them!! :D :D (I'd had a ZZR600 for 6 months over a winter before I got the first BB!)
Blackbirds are a great road bike,I did many miles in the company of three of them. Comfortable and fast. The weight side of things didn't bother me as I had a ZZR1100 at the time. I've never been a Honda fan,but I've a soft spot for the old Bird.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Skub wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:44 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:42 pm I don't think any of mine were underrated. But lots of people said things about two that I don't think were true

Blackbirds are a great road bike,I did many miles in the company of three of them. Comfortable and fast. The weight side of things didn't bother me as I had a ZZR1100 at the time. I've never been a Honda fan,but I've a soft spot for the old Bird.
That's no way to talk about Noggers :(
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

TBF, the only reason I changed was I got to the point that I wanted more than perfect and almost twist and go performance!! LOL I felt I'd stopped learning. And it was really a bit heavy for track!! (For me at least!). But if I put bar risers on one, I'd have one tomorrow (but I'll probably get the more upright half faired version cos of the spazzy arm!)

But I would love to have a go on one again!! :wub:

Yorick wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 7:56 pm
but I've a soft spot for the old Bird.
That's no way to talk about Noggers :(
[/quote]

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Noggin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:01 pm I'd have one tomorrow (but I'll probably get the more upright half faired version cos of the spazzy arm!)
X11?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284519959184
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:06 pm
Noggin wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:01 pm I'd have one tomorrow (but I'll probably get the more upright half faired version cos of the spazzy arm!)
X11?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284519959184
I think so! I can't find a picture in the red white and blue colours that I remember my friend's being!! But I think that's it. Somewhat more upright by design, but similar in lots of other ways from what she said!!
I sat on it after the first op and it was ok, but most 'upright-ish' bikes would be ok now I think!!

I wouldn't choose big Honda as my main bike out here as it would be seriously hard work just going to the valley and back, and definitely on the other roads I want to try!! But would love to have one in a 'dream' garage, just for fun!! :D :D I do have a thing for that sort of big Honda though. So bloody easy to ride!! :wub: :wub:
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Much as I like Honda (and own three of them) I think an X11 is going too far. And I had one of them back in the day. Well, a free one anyway.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 8:26 pm Much as I like Honda (and own three of them) I think an X11 is going too far. And I had one of them back in the day. Well, a free one anyway.
If I had a proper arm, I'd still be looking at a Blackbird!! But I very much doubt that will ever be a possibility now, so if I want to go that way bikewise, it'll be gurt, upright(ish) and so the X11 works

But I'll stick to littler bikes for a while! :D :D
David

Post by David »

I am sure Bike Breaker will back me up when I say LE Velocette...I know all you kids have probably never seen one.