pensions

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Potter

Re: pensions

Post by Potter »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:49 am
That's UK life for most. For the lucky one's who love their jobs all good. I still stick with the " work to live" not " live to work" theory. Personally, if I chose to continue working full-time without the need for money, I'd be having a serious word with myself.
Personally if I was working only for money for three-quarters of my life then I'd be having a serious word with myself.
I just don't get it, you get one go at life, so why not spend it doing something you get satisfaction from instead of doing it just for money....and if you're doing it only for money then go balls out, why do it for only money and then earn a shit wage.

Nowt as strange as folk.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:53 am Personally if I was working only for money for three-quarters of my life then I'd be having a serious word with myself.
I just don't get it, you get one go at life, so why not spend it doing something you get satisfaction from instead of doing it just for money....and if you're doing it only for money then go balls out, why do it for only money and then earn a shit wage.

Nowt as strange as folk.
Could be worse, you could be one of those "food is fuel" people.

*Shudder.*
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:53 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:49 am
That's UK life for most. For the lucky one's who love their jobs all good. I still stick with the " work to live" not " live to work" theory. Personally, if I chose to continue working full-time without the need for money, I'd be having a serious word with myself.
Personally if I was working only for money for three-quarters of my life then I'd be having a serious word with myself.

Nowt as strange as folk.
I don't believe for a second that all people have the brains, capacity, ability, drive, intelligence to go all out and succeed. We need train drivers, we need bin-men, we need gardners, we need shopkeepers... If we were all capable of the mental strength and desire to be high-flyers, who'd do the other jobs ?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Get out there and be the best damned bin man you can be!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am Get out there and be the best damned bin man you can be!
The greatest bin-man is still £25k a year... and don't give me the flannel about the guy who started as a bin man and bought a wagon, then another, then has 200 wagons and 4000 staff, i'm still not convinced he's not one of 'them' even though he started as a binman.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:58 am
I don't believe for a second that all people have the brains, capacity, ability, drive, intelligence to go all out and succeed. We need train drivers, we need bin-men, we need gardners, we need shopkeepers... If we were all capable of the mental strength and desire to be high-flyers, who'd do the other jobs ?
You seen what train drivers earn these days? You work for Eurostar and you are in to 6 figure salaries, even commuter route and freight drivers are on a decent whack.....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

v8-powered wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:01 pm
You seen what train drivers earn these days? You work for Eurostar and you are in to 6 figure salaries, even commuter route and freight drivers are on a decent whack.....
OK, pick any other low paid job you fancy. lol. Bus driver, shop worker, bar-staff...
Potter

Post by Potter »

My mate is a car mechanic, I've tried to get him to join various companies I've worked for and climb the ladder - until he got pissed off with me and told me that he wants to be a mechanic, nothing more. Another mate works in the JCB warehouse, with absolutely no ambition to do anything else, he said as long as he's got enough for a Friday night out and a week in Wales every year then he's happy.
I had an electrician for years in another place who flatly refused promotion.

If you want to be a high flyer then have a go at it, but not every one does.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:06 pm
My mate is a car mechanic, I've tried to get him to join various companies I've worked for and climb the ladder - until he got pissed off with me and told me that he wants to be a mechanic, nothing more. Another mate works in the JCB warehouse, with absolutely no ambition to do anything else, he said as long as he's got enough for a Friday night out and a week in Wales every year then he's happy.
I had an electrician for years in another place who flatly refused promotion.

If you want to be a high flyer then have a go at it, but not every one does.
But that's what you were implying to @Dodgy knees earlier ? Or were you only specifically thinking about job satisfaction ? Which really, how many roles can you say really give that ?

This morning i'm doing migrations from 1 virtual setup to another, it's a bit complex, it's a bit tricky. I'm pleased i've done it... but if i don't the world won't end.

Job satisfaction IMO is quite a small thing... I reckon someone like a Chef may get it, or someone who helps blind people for example. But the bloke who puts Cornflakes on the shelves in Tesco, can he really get job satisfaction ? There's doing it well or badly of course, but really.. is that a satisfaction type job ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:10 pm
But that's what you were implying to @Dodgy knees earlier ? Or were you only specifically thinking about job satisfaction ? Which really, how many roles can you say really give that ?

This morning i'm doing migrations from 1 virtual setup to another, it's a bit complex, it's a bit tricky. I'm pleased i've done it... but if i don't the world won't end.

Job satisfaction IMO is quite a small thing... I reckon someone like a Chef may get it, or someone who helps blind people for example. But the bloke who puts Cornflakes on the shelves in Tesco, can he really get job satisfaction ? There's doing it well or badly of course, but really.. is that a satisfaction type job ?
I very competitive with myself, so I have to try to continually improve if I can, but not everyone is like that, some people (like my warehouse mate) gets his satisfaction from putting food on the table and having no stress, he's happy at it.

I've read scholarly articles that basically say happiness at work is 50/50 between the financial reward and the satisfaction reward, I doubt there are many who would turn down extra money if offered, but if you can balance what you get paid with feeling good about what you did then it's enough - and that's probably as good as it gets, I doubt anyone has a job that thrills the shit out of them every second of the day.

If you're not happy with your pay or how work makes you feel, then you're really selling yourself short over a working life if you just keep on doing it.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:44 pm but if you can balance what you get paid with feeling good about what you did then it's enough
A lot of evidence suggests that you only need to pay people enough that they stop worrying about money, then they can excel.

If you want to look at how money does/doesn't actually influence people consider WikiPedia, Linux, Amateur Musicians or Minecraft.
Potter

Post by Potter »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:57 pm
A lot of evidence suggests that you only need to pay people enough that they stop worrying about money, then they can excel.
I don't know about salary, but if you can give someone the security they want, then they stop worrying about money.
Pay someone's mortgage off and put enough money into their bank that they don't need to work and you'd see them have clarity of mind with regards to work.

My missus asked me what I'd do if we won massive money on the lottery, I said I'd probably take six months off and then try to get my job and this life back :lol:

Like your mum and dad, they don't need the money but as you said your dad tried to get something like his old job back but voluntary, it sounds like he's a very happy bloke and was happy in his career.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I think it was more the case that he could see how he could help. My Mum and Dad spent their whole careers in delivering stuff, my Mum in particular was a project/programme manager at IBM before leaving to take over the IT operations of a big high street chain (she got fucked off with them BTW, but if you spend 30 years running experts at IBM suddenly dealing with other IT people is probably a bit annoying). They knew how to get IT projects to work.

What they don't know is how to convince the local NHS IT department of that :D So they help with the oldies and fetch medicine instead. They get paid the same amount either way :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

Well, one thing is for sure, I make much better personal decisions when there isn't any financial pressure associated with them. I also make better decisions at work now the money isn't so important.
The thing with money is that it really doesn't matter in life, until you don't have enough.
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Imo, a good life is all about being happy, nothing else matters. As long as my lad is happy, I don't care what job he does, what relationships he has, along as he is happy. 🙂

What makes us happy isn't the same for everyone. Some are more ambitious, some like responsibility, some avoid it like the plague. We can't all be power driven. The human race would have gone under year's ago if we were. We are all different, thank god.
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:08 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 am he wants to work in IT get a paid job in it.
He had quite a few of them :D
I thought you said he worked for IBM?
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:24 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:08 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 am he wants to work in IT get a paid job in it.
He had quite a few of them :D
I thought you said he worked for IBM?
He got a final salary pension from 'em too!
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:16 pm I think it was more the case that he could see how he could help. My Mum and Dad spent their whole careers in delivering stuff, my Mum in particular was a project/programme manager at IBM before leaving to take over the IT operations of a big high street chain (she got fucked off with them BTW, but if you spend 30 years running experts at IBM suddenly dealing with other IT people is probably a bit annoying). They knew how to get IT projects to work.

What they don't know is how to convince the local NHS IT department of that :D So they help with the oldies and fetch medicine instead. They get paid the same amount either way :D
Really?

Have a look at what you're saying, your parents are pretty much telling people who are paid to do a job that they don't know how to do that job and that they could do it better for free.

And in my experience IBM are fecking useless, they're very good at telling people how to do things the IBM way, but very little actual practical experience of working in a real world environment.
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:29 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:16 pm I think it was more the case that he could see how he could help. My Mum and Dad spent their whole careers in delivering stuff, my Mum in particular was a project/programme manager at IBM before leaving to take over the IT operations of a big high street chain (she got fucked off with them BTW, but if you spend 30 years running experts at IBM suddenly dealing with other IT people is probably a bit annoying). They knew how to get IT projects to work.

Really?

Have a look at what you're saying, your parents are pretty much telling people who are paid to do a job that they don't know how to do that job and that they could do it better for free.

And in my experience IBM are fecking useless, they're very good at telling people how to do things the IBM way, but very little actual practical experience of working in a real world environment.
Little bit off topic here...

But what the actually did was volunteer to help out the clinical and admin staff getting their IT working. In the classic NHS way, whoever actually built the new system did the basics, declared it done, collected their fee and fucked off. Said department was stuck waiting for fixes - and bear in mind they already have other volunteers working there - so my 'rents offered to pitch in and help out. But 'cause they'd not done the requisite NHS basic IT training they weren't able to.

As for IBM - well....different thread entirely :D My folks certainly did well out of them and you generally don't have the means to pay people well by being fecking useless.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Sorry, might have gone off on one there about IBM after a bad experience
Honda Owner