pensions

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Dodgy69

Re: pensions

Post by Dodgy69 »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:28 am
Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:04 am Some might say, you could give up or reduce your working hours at 55 and use your personal or works pension to live on, making sure it last at least 12 years, then hopefully with no debt, live off the state pension.
State pension for most is £9300pa. Average Council tax is £1800. Energy and water bills £1500+? Car+fuel+insurance?

You'd really have to hate working if you want to live on what's left. :D

I suppose there are 'lotus-eaters' out there. Eat, drink and be merry for tomorrow we - eke out an existence for 30? years. :hmmm:

Many households are x 2, depending on coarse.
Yamaha rocket 3
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:30 am If I'd waited until 66 to retire, I wouldn't be fit enough to be doing what I have been doing.
I'm having fun while I can.
I had those moments when you're climbing into the car at the crack of dawn on yet another foggy November morning for a 200 mile journey or standing in another airport security queue clutching my belt and shoes thinking 'I'm getting too old for this :angry-cussingblack: game'.

Didn't actually think I was going to completely retire but, after a couple of months and doing a bit of freelancing I thought 'Why not?'....so I did. :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:43 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:30 am If I'd waited until 66 to retire, I wouldn't be fit enough to be doing what I have been doing.
I had those moments when you're climbing into the car at the crack of dawn on yet another foggy November morning for a 200 mile journey or standing in another airport security queue clutching my belt and shoes thinking 'I'm getting too old for this :angry-cussingblack: game'.

Didn't actually think I was going to completely retire but, after a couple of months and doing a bit of freelancing I thought 'Why not?'....so I did. :D
And look how much time you retired lot spend on a wanky internet forum :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think a lot of people have it arse about face, they plan to do things during retirement that they should be doing now while they’re young enough to enjoy it, like travel, why wait until you retire if you want to see the world, get a job that does that and pays you a wage.

My plan has always been to do everything I want when I want it, then when I retire I probably won’t have anything that I feel like I’ve missed out on and hopefully that will mean a fairly stress free existence, both in terms of finances and fitting anything in that needs to get done before I croak.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Dodgy knees wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:23 am If you've got a motor/peddle bike/garden and enjoy a walk, there's always something to do, but for me it's reduced hours for now. 👍
That assumes you still have your health :( ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

My parents do nearly as much work in their retirement as they did when they were getting paid. I've often joked with my Mum that she should get another job :lol: My Dad is now a qualified old person wrangler and dementia helper at the local hospital, he had no previous healthcare experience after >40 years in IT. Somewhat ironically he tried to help out in their IT department but they said he wasn't qualified, despite four decades at IBM and a few other places :D
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:47 am I think a lot of people have it arse about face, they plan to do things during retirement that they should be doing now while they’re young enough to enjoy it, like travel, why wait until you retire if you want to see the world, get a job that does that and pays you a wage.

My plan has always been to do everything I want when I want it, then when I retire I probably won’t have anything that I feel like I’ve missed out on and hopefully that will mean a fairly stress free existence, both in terms of finances and fitting anything in that needs to get done before I croak.
Not that easy for most though with only 25 days leave a year and limited budget ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:45 am

True...at the moment. But until I signed up on here in July I hadn't been active on here or TRC for a few years. (It's better in here than TV or the 'papers' some times and bikes are a legitimate interest :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:54 am

True...at the moment. But until I signed up on here in July I hadn't been active on here or TRC for a few years. (It's better in here than TV or the 'papers' some times and bikes are a legitimate interest :D ).
Welcome back then sir :D :bblonde:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am Somewhat ironically he tried to help out in their IT department but they said he wasn't qualified, despite four decades at IBM and a few other places :D
The last thing anyone wants is an enthusiastic volunteer helping out, it's a recipe for disaster, if he wants to work in IT get a paid job in it.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've just walked the dog. Having my brekky by the pool now. Taking a pal for enduro ride at 11:00. I come on here between doing stuff, not instead of doing stuff ;)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 am he wants to work in IT get a paid job in it.
He had quite a few of them :D
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am
Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:47 am I think a lot of people have it arse about face, they plan to do things during retirement that they should be doing now while they’re young enough to enjoy it, like travel, why wait until you retire if you want to see the world, get a job that does that and pays you a wage.

Not that easy for most though with only 25 days leave a year and limited budget ?
That's exactly my point, too many people spend 340 days doing something that isn't their first choice, just so they can have 25 days doing something that is.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

My toughest choice each day is red flops or the blue ones :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am My toughest choice each day is red flops or the blue ones :obscene-birdiedoublered:
If you'd tried harder at school you wouldn't have tough choices :lol:
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:41 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am My toughest choice each day is red flops or the blue ones :obscene-birdiedoublered:
I could afford to buy a pair for each day :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:42 am
I have a person that usually lays out my things, so I don't have to choose.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:44 am
Yorick wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:42 am

I have a person that usually lays out my things, so I don't have to choose.
I have the missus for that.
Horse

Post by Horse »

What, he would have grown two additional legs and feet so that he wouldn't have to choose? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Dodgy69

Post by Dodgy69 »

Potter wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:34 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:48 am

That's exactly my point, too many people spend 340 days doing something that isn't their first choice, just so they can have 25 days doing something that is.

That's UK life for most. For the lucky one's who love their jobs all good. I still stick with the " work to live" not " live to work" theory. Personally, if I chose to continue working full-time without the need for money, I'd be having a serious word with myself.
Yamaha rocket 3