BMF start the loud pipe argument all over again

Anything you like about motorbikes
Gimlet

Re: BMF start the loud pipe argument all over again

Post by Gimlet »

I'd like to complain about barking dogs and people fucking about with chainsaws and strimmers all hours of the day because they've got nothing better to do.
Works both ways.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Gimlet wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:58 pm I'd like to complain about barking dogs and people fucking about with chainsaws and strimmers all hours of the day because they've got nothing better to do.
Works both ways.
Feck don't get me started on dogs, yapping all day at literally anything ...
Gimlet

Post by Gimlet »

Too many of them. Bark and shit, that's all they're good for. Can't even eat them.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

I have standard exhausts on the Le Mans, although I would like some Lafranconi Competizione most of the noise comes from the induction roar of the two big pumper carbs with no air box. The Tuono has a Fuel exhaust and that is loud even with the baffel in. I did send it back to Fuel a few years ago for repacking but i reckon that has all been blasted out the back again. I also removed the air restrictions from the airbox as soon as it was run in.

I would agree however that "loud pipes saves lives" (sometimes) I nearly ran a bloke over at the weekend. He was crossing over the road, looked at me (saw him look and was watching) then turned his head to the left to see what was coming the other way and started crossing. As I was in my hybrid Golf with LED daytime running lights he hadn't heard me. I got within less then 2m having already braked, he got quite a suprise and apologised. Get it fairly regular when the car is in elctric mode, especially in car parks.
Funners

Post by Funners »

Ive changed the end can on the Multistrada, but only because the OE was damaged by the previous owner, I ended up with a full euro 4 homologated one, but as most of the silencing is done in the cat, the only difference is the MIVV is slightly "Deeper" than std and thats all.
V twins dont seem to carrry noise wise like an IL4 anyway, but being 100% RL is quite relaxing :P
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Hearing a bike is all part of the riding experience for me. Grew up around noisy old brit bikes and watching scrambles/MX and to me bikes don't seem like bikes when they're whisper quiet. There's a main A road not far from me and I love hearing the bikes being caned down there, but to be fair I wouldn't want them coming past my house like that every summers evening and weekend, which is why I tend to short shift through towns.

Commuting in central London on my route with myopic pedestrians and weaving cyclists a race can can be an absolute blessing on alerting those to your presence, as if you sound your horn at cyclists you'll end up in a confrontation with them! :roll:
Sadlonelygit

Post by Sadlonelygit »

Current bike runs a full akra sans cat with the dB killer firmly in place.
Loudest bike was my old z1000 with a 4-1 alfa, which usually elicited the 'we could hear you coming for miles' when i got pulled (regularly)
The loudest vehicle i ever owned was an early mk1 RX7 with a janspeed exhaust which would earn me a tug every time i passed a copper.
The only car that needed ear plugs on the motorway........god it was loud!
The older you get you realise stealth mode is better for the license than the kudos of a loud bike.
Scootabout

Post by Scootabout »

I think now is definitely not the time to be reinforcing the "bikes are hooligan tools for hooligans" stereotype, just as the authorities are starting to think how great it is to have the opportunity to de-car (and for that read de-bike) society in favour of walking and cycling. In London, for example, we've started getting car/bike-free roads to add to the acres of road space given over to dedicated cycling lanes. The argument in favour of PTWs as positive component in the London transport mix has all but been lost. Don't let's give it a further nudge.
Mr Moofo

Post by Mr Moofo »

I am planning a trip to either Spain of the Jura later this year - as Austria have brought in the 95dB limit, Germany looks like it is going to follow, and the Swissies are thinking of joining in on the bandwagon.
The intention was to go on the Diavel - which has a road legal but noisy-ish can on it... so it looks like I am going to have too go back to the original bean cans it came with.

Just wondering if loud cans have had their day. Around me , on the south coast, there is so much bad feeling because of the amount of yoofs riding around the towns/ highways of Brightonia, gunning the throttle on loud pipes during lockdown. Obviously normal yoof rebellion but now having a serious knock on effect on social acceptability.

Plus, after 55 years on this planet, loud cans become a little annoying
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:11 am Just wondering if loud cans have had their day.
Yes, I think loud cans have had their day. Once upon a time, it was de rigueur to have a loud pipe. Now it seems less acceptable even in the bike community.
A_morti

Post by A_morti »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:42 am
Mr Moofo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:11 am Just wondering if loud cans have had their day.
Yes, I think loud cans have had their day. Once upon a time, it was de rigueur to have a loud pipe. Now it seems less acceptable even in the bike community.
Maybe because the average age has increased? Or maybe that's just how society's gone.
I have had a few bikes with them and removed them as often as not, I won't miss loud exhausts.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Sadlonelygit wrote: Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:07 pm The older you get you realise stealth mode is better for the license than the kudos of a loud bike.
Indeed :)
Horse wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:57 amIt always struck me that loud exhausts were a bit of an own goal. Imagine you're a bored or enthusiastic copper. From a mile away you can hear a bike (or two, three) approaching. You've got time to get your clipboard / radar gun / baton ready, have a last swig of coffee, adjust your cap and tug the hem of your Hi-Viz coat, then stroll out to the edge of the road.

Billy Boring rides past before the copper's woken up.

Also, IIRC, Bike magazine did a 'guess the speed' test. Louder bikes were judged to be travelling faster - double own goal.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

My Tuono is loud, as well as the airbox restrictor I removed at the same time one of the baffles fell out of the standard exhaust at the same time. There was a list of things to do to the Tuono once it was run in to release full power. Remove "top hat" from airbox, remove baffle from "tube" section of silencer and cut a certain wire to release second map.
I have the standard can in the garage and it does make a nice sound at 6000 revs but others possibly don't appreciate it and it does weigh a lot. I did have the end can off a few months ago. Looking at the drain pipe size pipe jutting out from just under the engine I wondered what it would sound like. So fired it up. It was very loud, so loud it scared my daughter who was in the house at the time and came running to see what the explosion was. I only ran it for about 10 seconds.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I like 'em. :P

I've never had the 'I heard you coming miles ago' copper and I've run a full race system for the last 13 years and beyond with other bikes. Never had anyone report me for being noisy,never had words from the neighbours.

Maybe not RLAC in the built up zones might have something to do with it. ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Horse

Post by Horse »

Skub wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:26 pm I like 'em. :P

I've never had the 'I heard you coming miles ago' copper and I've run a full race system for the last 13 years and beyond with other bikes. Never had anyone report me for being noisy,never had words from the neighbours.

Years ago, a mate was running a Triumph Trident on an open 3 into 1 pipe.

He was heading to work one morning, 30 in a 30. Got pulled in by a copper who strolled out in front of him. Asked what he was doing wrong? Copper said that locals had complained about the bike that went past at the same time every day :)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:50 pm
Skub wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:26 pm I like 'em. :P

Years ago, a mate was running a Triumph Trident on an open 3 into 1 pipe.

He was heading to work one morning, 30 in a 30. Got pulled in by a copper who strolled out in front of him. Asked what he was doing wrong? Copper said that locals had complained about the bike that went past at the same time every day :)
That's a cool law!

A friend of mine was stopped by the polis in similar circumstances and when she said she wasn't speeding,the officer said,"ah,but I could hear you thinking about it".

No answer to that,aside from fitting a quieter pipe,so they couldn't hear her think about speeding. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Horse

Post by Horse »

Oh. Forgot to include: we were on shift work, so he was providing - for free - an unwanted wake up call to residents.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Horse wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 7:55 pm Oh. Forgot to include: we were on shift work, so he was providing - for free - an unwanted wake up call to residents.
Must be the first time a Triumph was reliable enough to work as an alarm clock. :lol:
Walt Whitman
Claude

Post by Claude »

I love the look of the scproject end can on my Brutale but it is FAR too loud.
crust

Post by crust »

It doesn't help that riders are like sheep, they all seem to want to congregate in the same spot so the residents don't get a weekends peace - Loomies car park was full even when the cafe was shut. Once conregated it seems obligatory to leave at the rev limiter in every gear.

In cities loud pipes may warn pedestrians (though I think most have earphones in so won't hear no matter what) out in the countryside they're just obnoxious over a very wide area.

In the south along the A272 the local councils are lobbying hard for more Police action, noise cameras, they are well aware the worst offenders are after market cans and are demanding action against modifications.

Plays right into the hands of the manufacturers for genuine parts only.