Monster rustoration

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Bigyin

Re: Monster rustoration

Post by Bigyin »

weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am I hassled him on the phone this morning and for various reasons he doesn't think it's going to fly for Aug. Partly because of a possible trip away and partly because of time constraints for various bits needed. I get that... I think he's talking rubbish, but i get it :)
I doubt you are going to give up that easily :D
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Bigyin wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:38 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 11:10 am I hassled him on the phone this morning and for various reasons he doesn't think it's going to fly for Aug. Partly because of a possible trip away and partly because of time constraints for various bits needed. I get that... I think he's talking rubbish, but i get it :)
I doubt you are going to give up that easily :D
Never mate.. I told him to get some bits done then bring over here, but i can see where he's going as some of the jobs would need doing twice if he does them now, then uses it, then does them after.

My argument was "What's the point in having a bike ready in November, may as well get it mechanically right for now, use it at end of summer, then address the other bits later on"

He didn't go with it. :thumbdown: :wtf:
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

crust wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:51 pm Off with the float bowls and WOW, really, that clean inside, gob well and truly smacked.

Image20200705_182608 by crust, on Flickr
My brother tried to revive a ZX7 a few weeks back. The carbs were truly gopping, you got well lucky there :thumbup:
crust

Post by crust »

I think the last fill up was in Belgium or France and will have been 'Super' so I think that was why they were 'clean'.

Amazingly the float bowls were still full, so I think that as the fuel in them evaporated they refilled so as they didn't dry out there was no gunge.

I drained the fuel and it came out looking like 'bitter'.

But, yes. Very lucky - I envisaged gunge and sending off to be an ultra sonic fest.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

How's the tank looking? Again the ZX7 tank had rust in it
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Cracking thread. :thumbup:

The Ducati I always wanted to own but never got round to it. Can't now cos of ULEZ. :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:11 pm Cracking thread. :thumbup:

The Ducati I always wanted to own but never got round to it. Can't now cos of ULEZ. :(
WEll you can, if you don't go into London :)
crust

Post by crust »

You got me worried there.

One cheapy - £9.99 endoscope from Eurocarparts later (the software with it doesn't work but generic USB camera software solved that) and a nightmare when the camera got wedged behind the fuel sender :wtf: we have a mostly clean tank with a little surface rust in places.

This is the worst of it:

ImageIPC_2020-07-09.12.10.57.8620[1] by crust, on Flickr

I'll get some DEOX and give it a good swill round. Monsters use a Fiat fuel filter so any that gets washed off should get caught.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Might not be too bad, but if funds allow I'd still seal it...

https://www.carbuilder.com/uk/por-15-mo ... 9hEALw_wcB

My SSie tank leaked at the rear seam, the POR-15 fixed it really well, makes the inside of the tank look all nice too.
crust

Post by crust »

{{{{shudder}}}}}

Hmmm, never liked that stuff and it's a bugger to get out, did a tank which rusted through and ended up cutting the tank in half to get it all out and getting new bits welded in.

I've silver soldered the rear of my tank where they split at the spot weld so it doesn't leak. In reality I don't think I actually need to do anything the rust is only surface rust, the petrol sloshing will stop its spread but I'll do the GEOX and see.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Citric works well. I use it diluted 30:1 weight for weight with water. Wilco sell it mail order.
Last edited by cheb on Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chillitt

Post by chillitt »

inewham wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 5:18 pm Apparently citric acid will shift the rust.
I've never tried it but plan to on the KH I'm very slowly rebuilding :oops:
It does work well, specially with hot water. Where is the KH thread then?
crust

Post by crust »

Too late, just pressed the buttonon these two:

https://www.bilthamber.com/car-cleaning ... /surfex-hd

https://www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-pr ... nts/deox-c

The pair cam highly recommended for cleaning out fuel tank, degrease then a fill with the Deox solution.

Will do some before and afters to see if they're worth it.
crust

Post by crust »

As it had been standing the belts will have 'set' so ordered new ones which arrived today with some moving tensioner bearings.

So off with the belt covers, however while I was taking them off I noticed oil over the back of the motor, damn! The rear cylinder base gasket has been weeping.

Undid the rear cylinder exhaust nuts to sse if they would move, wow, one good soaking in penetrating oil and off they come. Removed the breather tube for better access to the nuts.

Last edited by crust on Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

My 620 motor had the same leak. I took it to bits, put a new gasket in and a bit of sealant... it still leaked. Lots of them do. Ended up with a sponge wedged under the bottom cooling fin to stop any oil from pooling and flinging. This was a rough and ready race bike so it didn't really matter about the cosmetics.
crust

Post by crust »

Gaskets and a couple of other bits to be ordered from Germany. So while I wait for them I decided to start at the front on the cleaning and checking.

Front wheel came up OK, going to need repainting though, that can wait until winter. So onto the disks, some before and afters.

crust

Post by crust »

Even did the side that no one sees.

crust

Post by crust »

Onto the calipers for a proper strip and clean out.

crust

Post by crust »

Wheel back in, calipers on. Just need to bleed them now.

crust

Post by crust »

KungFooBob wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:46 pm My 620 motor had the same leak. I took it to bits, put a new gasket in and a bit of sealant... it still leaked. Lots of them do. Ended up with a sponge wedged under the bottom cooling fin to stop any oil from pooling and flinging. This was a rough and ready race bike so it didn't really matter about the cosmetics.
Mine never used to so it maybe curable, or maybe I've never noticed it before. :)

There's not much there and I'm still mulling over just cleaning it off and waiting until I do a proper engine out frame paint job. I let Docca have a ride while I followed on his Buell and it was smoking a bit so the engine could do with a top end refresh. There's also a pair of 944 pistons and spare barrels sitting on the shelf. :D