Paddock Stands

Anything you like about motorbikes
Le_Fromage_Grande

Paddock Stands

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

New bike = new paddock stand, recommendations please, I've bought the bobbins, now I want the stand to match, the bike weighs over 200KG so it needs to be strong, and I don't like the Oxford one that somebody nice on here gave me.
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Paddock Stands

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande

They look good, but any advantage over a round tubed one?
Honda Owner
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

Slight hi jack - any recommendations for single sided swing armed bikes?

Had an old tubed one collapse on me (or rather under me) as I leant over my old guzzi last year, was not fun.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am They look good, but any advantage over a round tubed one?
IMO a box section is stronger than a round one.

That's my logic.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've had a couple of Harris stands for years. I used some of those other bolt together type before and they are as wobbly as shit.

Harris and Abba is all I use now.

Here's an old pic of ma gixxaaaah on the Harris.

"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:54 am They look good, but any advantage over a round tubed one?

That's my logic.
That logic is probably somewhat eroded by the fact the you linked is aluminum and the tubes are generally steel.

Besides, how many paddock stands have you snapped? :D

P.S. I've had the same properly no-name one for donkey's* and it's fine. It's a bent bit of tooob after all, how complicated do you want to make it?

*Donkey's years that its, I don't use it for holding donkeys
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:36 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:20 am

That's my logic.
That logic is probably somewhat eroded by the fact the you linked is aluminum and the tubes are generally steel.

Besides, how many paddock stands have you snapped? :D

P.S. I've had the same properly no-name one for donkey's* and it's fine. It's a bent bit of tooob after all, how complicated do you want to make it?

*Donkey's years that its, I don't use it for holding donkeys
Like many, i've had 1 or so fail... where and how i can't recall.. but the box ones seem solid and don't flex/move etc.

I'm not saying they're better, but they've worked well for me, which is what was asked in the thread.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

FWIW I would eyeball this one as being stronger and stiffer than the one Weeksy linked...t'was on the bottom of the eBay link. Why? 'cause it's almost certainly steel and it's got the 'cross bracing' on the corners. Not saying I'd buy that particular one, I have no idea who that brand is, but I'd picture that one as being the strong kind...and picturing how strong stuff is is kinda my thing :D

Thinking about, my SSSA also has cross bracing and it's sturdier than a sturdy thing. Fat tubes, steel and corners - that's what you want.

Aluminium ones will be lighter, I'll give 'em that.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/402261112615
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:47 pm FWIW I would eyeball this one as being stronger and stiffer than the one Weeksy linked...t'was on the bottom of the eBay link. Why? 'cause it's almost certainly steel and it's got the 'cross bracing' on the corners. Not saying I'd buy that particular one, I have no idea who that brand is, but I'd picture that one as being the strong kind...and picturing how strong stuff is is kinda my thing :D

Thinking about, my SSSA also has cross bracing and it's sturdier than a sturdy thing. Fat tubes, steel and corners - that's what you want.

Based upon experience, the joining bolt/nut/holes for the 2 pieces on your link are weak as piss and fail.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:47 pm FWIW I would eyeball this one as being stronger and stiffer than the one Weeksy linked...t'was on the bottom of the eBay link. Why? 'cause it's almost certainly steel and it's got the 'cross bracing' on the corners. Not saying I'd buy that particular one, I have no idea who that brand is, but I'd picture that one as being the strong kind...and picturing how strong stuff is is kinda my thing :D

Aluminium ones will be lighter, I'll give 'em that.

That looks like a copy of the Oxford one I've got, it's heavy and awkward to use, I've also got a Micron one that I've had for years, that ones a joy to use but doesn't look much different to the Oxford one (it's currently got a Kawasaki on it so I don't want to use it for the GSX)
Honda Owner
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Surely the answer here is an ABBA stand with a Suzuki adaptor kit!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Based upon experience, the joining bolt/nut/holes for the 2 pieces on your link are weak as piss and fail.
Aye, I didn't see the bolts. My one is the same idea, but one single piece.

P.S. what the fuck are you lot doing to your stands to break 'em? :D
Big Red

Post by Big Red »

Spend the extra and buy an Abba stand with the adapters for your bike.
You will just need to buy new adapters if you ever change bike. It will be a lot stronger, secure and easier to use on your own.
Paddock stands are a paid to use single handed and very easy for the bike to fall of them if you are needing to wrestle with anything while the bike is on them. Especially if you also have the front balancing on one as well.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:54 pm
weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 1:49 pm

Aye, I didn't see the bolts. My one is the same idea, but one single piece.

P.S. what the fuck are you lot doing to your stands to break 'em? :D
about 100 trackdays, being left out in the rain (back then), thrown in vans etc.
Le_Fromage_Grande

I've got an ABBA stand, I don't like it very much, I find it awkward to use.
Honda Owner
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I've got a normal rear stand. And a trolley jack underneath the downpipes to lift the front.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Get a centre stand ;)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:16 pm I've got a normal rear stand. And a trolley jack underneath the downpipes to lift the front.
heathen !
Le_Fromage_Grande

Yorick wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 2:16 pm I've got a normal rear stand. And a trolley jack underneath the downpipes to lift the front.
I've got a front paddock stand that goes into the hole in the bottom of the steering stem
Honda Owner