One bike for the rest of your riding life.

Anything you like about motorbikes
Bigjawa

Re: One bike for the rest of your riding life.

Post by Bigjawa »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:27 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:21 pm They're the worst bike in the world, unless you're 18, 5' 4" and 8 stone.
How many of us ride something sensible?

Oh, I forgot... me :shhh:
I'm either riding a 14bhp 125, or a 163bhp 1200......

One bike till the end?

Probably a TDM.....
Wossname

Post by Wossname »

Probably what I've got. SDGT. Not sure if we'll still be happy together when I'm 95 tho. My mate is still happy on his GSXR thou and 1198 Ducati at 83. Is there a time limit on this?
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:40 pm Probably a Multistrada.
Funnily enough, one of them.

I am on my second one and have commuted on them in all weathers, taken it over many European countries in comfort with all the luggage on, taken it up mountain rocky gravel roads stood on the pegs dirt stylee sliding about in Enduro mode and even done a couple of track days on it. Almost 60000 miles in between them and cant see why i would buy something else apart from the servicing costs which i have got used to. If i want a bike for two up touring it will do that as well with comfort. Stripped down with all the luggage and touring screens off its a big motard with 150 BHP, newer models have 160 or 170 from the V4 ones :wtf:

2 weeks tour of Norway with 6500 miles in that time and carrying everything i needed including tent, camping gear and all my food

Soaking wet track, still fun at about 3 figure speeds at this point exiting the corner after a 350 mile ride to get there with camping gear and then back again

I love them and it ticks every single box
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

This bike for life, how long is the free servicing deal?
Lockdown refugee
David

Post by David »

For life, as long as you do it yoursef.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

David wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:03 am For life, as long as you do it yoursef.
It's not the servicing that bothers her, it's more the multiple cranks it would need :D
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Wull wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:54 pm
weeksy wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:52 pm
Dodgy knees wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 4:48 pm But don't the big bike give you the best of both worlds. 🤷🏻‍♂️
No. Because they're physically bigger, heavier, stiffer, and less responsive, they're also a bit more intimidating. Try winding the throttle to the stop on yours on a B road, it's bloody hard because you're doing 100+ in 3rd by then. Sure it's short term fun, but where's the fun in using 50% everywhere.
You need to ride harder, you can go daft everywhere on a litre bike
I couldn't. Believe me, I tried, and thought I could. But when I rode the 390 Duke on the same roads I found out what it was to ride to the limit!!! THAT was way more fun! Ok, I loved the litre bikes and would happily have either back in a garage. But for being a complete hooligan, something smaller I think :angelic-green:

Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:15 pm
The Spin Doctor wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:12 pm
Yorick wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:08 pm Just the opposite. Some folk see trackdays as thrashing a low powered bike round a track.

My view is screaming a monster powered bike in a safe environment.
I was referring to Weeksy's mission to persuade his missus that an R7 was a perfect trackbike.

There are arguments both ways, but I think riders with less track experience (ie me ;) ) will almost certainly go better on a more modestly powered bike.
If you won a free fully expensed trackday, would you choose a litre monster or a bike half the power?
Half - I reckon I'd have more fun and I want to find out!! :lol:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I don't think I've ridden the bike I could keep forever. Yet!

The Blackbird was close, but I'd want to try it on the mountain roads before I decided. It was fun on track, awesome on the roads (especially riding with people who would tell me it didn't go round corners :roll:), brilliant for long journeys and comfortable with pillion. But now I have the issue with a spazzy right arm, I'd either have to learn to ride with left hand throttle or change the bars as I really don't think I'll ever be able to ride with my arms out at that sort of stretch for any length of time :( - which negates the bike really as there are others similar that already have higher bars!!

I have always lusted after the (more modern) Monster and the Brutale, but not ridden either -

Something like this I could see working (more likely the Monster!) - I reckon good handling for the mountain roads, track fun, comfortable enough for distance (I always forget just how huge France is in comparison to the UK!!), two up possible (sort of possible - if they are small!!) and the riding position is reasonable for a spazzy shoulder!!

But, unless I have a lotto win, I think I have the next best thing in the old Monster - I'll find out in spring when I've had more riding time on it!! :D :D

Although, I really can't imagine picking just one bike - for ever :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
wull

Post by wull »

I suppose it’s a bit like woman, do ever really ever find the one you want to ride and ride only for the rest of your life 👀👀
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Wull wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:27 am I suppose it’s a bit like woman, do ever really ever find the one you want to ride and ride only for the rest of your life 👀👀
If you need to ask.. you don't really know.
Dickyboy

Post by Dickyboy »

[My Guzzi V1200 Sport that I have owned for 11 years. Low seat height, well balanced and carries its weight well means it is something I should be able to ride right into my 70's (not that far off now)]

Pretty much ditto to this is what I have planned with mine, just a shame its not as bonkers looking as the Centauro its replaced.
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:31 am
Wull wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:27 am I suppose it’s a bit like woman, do ever really ever find the one you want to ride and ride only for the rest of your life 👀👀
If you need to ask.. you don't really know.

I wasn’t asking 🤣
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Still searching for one I like enough to keep that long! Clearly, nothing I've owned has been it or I'd still have it obvs!
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:17 am I don't think I've ridden the bike I could keep forever. Yet!

The Blackbird was close, but I'd want to try it on the mountain roads before I decided. It was fun on track, awesome on the roads (especially riding with people who would tell me it didn't go round corners :roll:), brilliant for long journeys and comfortable with pillion. But now I have the issue with a spazzy right arm, I'd either have to learn to ride with left hand throttle or change the bars as I really don't think I'll ever be able to ride with my arms out at that sort of stretch for any length of time :( - which negates the bike really as there are others similar that already have higher bars
Top yoke conversion.

Sorted.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

Bigjawa wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:16 pm
Noggin wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:17 am I don't think I've ridden the bike I could keep forever. Yet!

The Blackbird was close, but I'd want to try it on the mountain roads before I decided. It was fun on track, awesome on the roads (especially riding with people who would tell me it didn't go round corners :roll:), brilliant for long journeys and comfortable with pillion. But now I have the issue with a spazzy right arm, I'd either have to learn to ride with left hand throttle or change the bars as I really don't think I'll ever be able to ride with my arms out at that sort of stretch for any length of time :( - which negates the bike really as there are others similar that already have higher bars
Top yoke conversion.

Sorted.
But, might as well buy a CBF1000 instead?? I never liked the look of the Birds with the conversion TBF, and doubt I'll ever 'need' that sort of bike again. If I could have lots, it would 100% be on the list!! LOL But as it is, I doubt I'll be able to ride it :(
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:59 pm Still searching for one I like enough to keep that long! Clearly, nothing I've owned has been it or I'd still have it obvs!
Ah, you haven't scratched that MT10 itch though yet have you old boy :D ;)
Scotsrich

Post by Scotsrich »

My next one will probably be my last.

(I don’t think I’ve mentioned I’m getting a GS 1250? :obscene-birdiedoublered: )

Not just because it’s a good bike but I don’t change my bikes very often and by the time it needs changing/out of warranty I may be thinking of hanging up my leathers.

The ideal would be to downsize to something lighter if the GS gets too unmanageable but I only really go out on the bike now with my OH as pillion and a smaller bike wouldn’t really be suitable.

If I was single I’d probably be quite happy with something a bit lighter like an MT-09 or Tracer 9.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Scotsrich wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:28 pm My next one will probably be my last.

(I don’t think I’ve mentioned I’m getting a GS 1250? :obscene-birdiedoublered: )

Not just because it’s a good bike but I don’t change my bikes very often and by the time it needs changing/out of warranty I may be thinking of hanging up my leathers.

The ideal would be to downsize to something lighter if the GS gets too unmanageable but I only really go out on the bike now with my OH as pillion and a smaller bike wouldn’t really be suitable.

If I was single I’d probably be quite happy with something a bit lighter like an MT-09 or Tracer 9.
Has to be an MT-07 now man. Didn't you get the memo? ;)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Tricky wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:27 pm
Taipan wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:59 pm Still searching for one I like enough to keep that long! Clearly, nothing I've owned has been it or I'd still have it obvs!
Ah, you haven't scratched that MT10 itch though yet have you old boy :D ;)
if I had a lunacy fund...
millemille

Post by millemille »

If/when I get the niggles sorted, this....