One of those "Oh shit" moments

Anything you like about motorbikes
Count Steer

Re: One of those "Oh shit" moments

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:57 pm
Rockburner wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 5:18 pm GP riders are not good examples - by the time they get to GP level they've probably had a few HUNDRED crashes each - they soon learn 'how' to crash (or they stop racing.... )
Yeah that....you need to react instinctively for it to be fast enough and the only way you do that is through lots of experience!
Which is exactly the point I was making. GP riders being quite experienced. But, never mind.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I'm sure there was an interview with Joey Dunlop where he explained how he taught his brother Robert how to crash.

They'd get a friend to drive a car down a beach with them both sat on the bonnet and suddenly brake. Joey rolled off fine but Robert broke his arm.

I'm sure I didn't imagine all that?
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah I read that on the BBC too.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I might have only half remembered it, google turned up this comment on another forum...

I remember years ago reading about Robert was having problems breaking his collar bones every time he came off and Joey was trying to tell him to relax and go limp when it happened. To put it into practice Joey got Robert to lay on the bonnet of his car, took it up to speed and nailed the brakes. Robert slid off and.....
broke his collar bone!
Skub

Post by Skub »

KungFooBob wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm I might have only half remembered it, google turned up this comment on another forum...

I remember years ago reading about Robert was having problems breaking his collar bones every time he came off and Joey was trying to tell him to relax and go limp when it happened. To put it into practice Joey got Robert to lay on the bonnet of his car, took it up to speed and nailed the brakes. Robert slid off and.....
broke his collar bone!
T'was Joey teaching Jim Dunlop how to crash...on the beach,as sand is softer of course. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Bigyin wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 3:03 pm Looks like she landed on the coccyx after getting away from the bike judging from those pics so not a lot of protection from the back protector and shock transfer up the spine...... ouch :(
Exactly the injury I picked up after a highside. A couple of damaged vertebra.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

Skub wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:37 pm
KungFooBob wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 6:46 pm I might have only half remembered it, google turned up this comment on another forum...

broke his collar bone!
T'was Joey teaching Jim Dunlop how to crash...on the beach,as sand is softer of course. :lol:
Portstewart strand apparently. No doubt it wasn't at 15mph! 🤣🤣🤣🤣