Bike cleaning freaks

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hawkman

Bike cleaning freaks

Post by Hawkman »

What you using these days to keep your bikes clean/protected?

I've been usuing SDoc100 for the last few years, but it seems to discolour exposed metal eventually. I have their maintenance kit with the colour restorer, polish and anti-corrosion spray. I'm not planning on riding in winter, but will more than likely opt for ACF 50 for protection/corrosion.
Taipan

Re: Bike cleaning freaks

Post by Taipan »

I bought Sdoc100 once but it's way too harsh on finishes especially, as you say, on polished metal surfaces. I tried the gtecnic orange clear or suchlike stuff but found that a bit ineffective? In the end I reverted to the old faithful paraffin. Most grime from the road is oil-based, and as oil is its own solvent, I also use the big cheap tins of Euro Car Parts maintenance spray (see link below) which makes wiping chain lube gunk and said residue off easy.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-q ... -542770980
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

My 3 cleaning things are

GT-85
Muc-off pink bicycle cleaner
Autoglym tar remover.

If between the 3 of those it's not coming off, then it's not coming off.

Another great one that transforms bikes is 'trim gel' with a soft detailing sponge on all the black plastics, switchgear, hoses, casings etc... it's night and day better afterwards.

I'll be doing a run over with ACF-50 before the bike leaves the garage once it's delivered tomorrow.
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:58 am I bought Sdoc100 once but it's way too harsh on finishes especially, as you say, on polished metal surfaces. I tried the gtecnic orange clear or suchlike stuff but found that a bit ineffective? In the end I reverted to the old faithful paraffin. Most grime from the road is oil-based, and as oil is its own solvent, I also use the big cheap tins of Euro Car Parts maintenance spray (see link below) which makes wiping chain lube gunk and said residue off easy.

https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/triple-q ... -542770980
Aye - the last time I used the Sdoc I actually tipped some into a bucket of hot water to dilute it, which seems to have worked better. I'll give the maintenance spray a whirl.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Cleaning?

Is that a thing?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Image2018-01-19_09-45-25 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

That had 8000 miles on the clocks.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I've become a fan of the Vulcanet wipes. Unless I'm caught out by a shitty road or rain,I've hardly used water since buying them to try.

Stupidly dear,mind. The Cheese would be code brown at the thought of it.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:06 pm I've become a fan of the Vulcanet wipes. Unless I'm caught out by a shitty road or rain,I've hardly used water since buying them to try.

Stupidly dear,mind. The Cheese would be code brown at the thought of it.
I use cheap Tesco baby wipes....... does the job very well. For the tougher bits a degreaser like WD40 then a wipe, then a microfibre cloth to get rid of residue. I dont think the Multistrada has seen water for a wash and i blame Weeksy for that.

The Fazer gets a bucket of soapy water over it every week or 2 as its the work bike. Its about to get its ACF50 layer for winter riding so the washing will decrease and it will look like a scrambler covered in shit soon :D
Skub

Post by Skub »

I think ACF has been one of the best products in recent years. If you want to slither about slimy roads in the cold,at least now your bike won't look like a complete bag of shite.
Walt Whitman
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Skub wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:15 pm I think ACF has been one of the best products in recent years. If you want to slither about slimy roads in the cold,at least now your bike won't look like a complete bag of shite.
I have been using it for years and it makes a huge difference. The first Multistrada did 3 winters commuting 70 miles a day back and forward in all weathers and despite being something that should melt at the first sign of water or cold managed snow, ice, road salt as long as the ACF was kept on top of and the bike rinsed down with cold water after a salty ride home. It got to almost 40000 miles before being written off but still looked half decent without rust everywhere
Skub

Post by Skub »

ACF kept my SH300 in good order for many Winters,but the best thing ever is not having to ride on shitty salty roads. :thumbup:
Walt Whitman
formula400

Post by formula400 »

how do you use the ACF stuff, and where does it go, seen it mentioned a lot.
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

formula400 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:07 pm how do you use the ACF stuff, and where does it go, seen it mentioned a lot.
Comes in a spray can and use it on metal parts as its an aircraft anti corrosion spray. Dont get it on any perishable parts like tyres or on any brake components .... Basically puts a layer on the metal parts that protects them from corrosion and always looks wet. The dirt and crap sticks to it but doesnt penetrate it. Mine used to look like shit after 3-4 months of ACF and winter but once cleaned down looked good

This is my first Multi on its second ACF winter spray

Hint: drop the spray tin in a bucket of hot water and let it warm up as it helps the spray mist more before applying
formula400

Post by formula400 »

ohhhh ok, looks fun, so just nuts and bolts and bits, might grab my self a tin for the MT
CBR650r :mrgreen:
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

formula400 wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:45 pm ohhhh ok, looks fun, so just nuts and bolts and bits, might grab my self a tin for the MT
All the engine too, swingarms and rear suspension components.

As with everything there are You Tube vids for application as well as companies that will come, valet the bike and do the treatment for quite a bit more than the 15 quid spray can ;)

Once its sprayed, run the engine till hot and it will smoke like buggery, its just the coating sorting itself
wull

Post by wull »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:57 pm Image2018-01-19_09-45-25 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

That had 8000 miles on the clocks.

Looks it
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 am My 3 cleaning things are

GT-85
Autoglym tar remover.

As I mentioned elsewhere, Bio-mex multi-surface cleaner (Amazon, Lakeland ~£14) got black spotty stuff off a lacquered, metallic finish car for me really easily when Autoglym tar remover had no effect. Like lots of detailing products I found at Halfords, it has white clay in so it's worth a try if all else fails. (If it doesn't work you can clean your stainless pans*, worktops, mirrors, sinks and baths with it :lol: )

* So it will almost certainly work on exhausts.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Used to use Sdoc100, then W5 Citrus wash but I found that could leave marks on the finish at times which was hard to get off. Currently I'm on Muc Off Nano stuff that was on special at SBS. You wet the bike first and then spray on. It's ok but not magic, but to be honest I do mine in sections with 2 buckets and dry off. GT85 if needs be on certain parts. I think mine looks clean enough for 14k.
Hawkman

Post by Hawkman »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 am My 3 cleaning things are

GT-85
Autoglym tar remover.

Another great one that transforms bikes is 'trim gel' with a soft detailing sponge on all the black plastics, switchgear, hoses, casings etc... it's night and day better afterwards.

I'll be doing a run over with ACF-50 before the bike leaves the garage once it's delivered tomorrow.
What you use the GT85 for? I use to use it for lubing bicycle chains iirc.
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Hawkman wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:28 am
What you use the GT85 for? I use to use it for lubing bicycle chains iirc.
It's ace at cleaning stuff too, metal stuff mainly. It brings rear wheels up a treat as well as it'll cut through chain lube nicely. It'll clean motorcycle chains pretty well too.

Also Mr Sheene is awesome too as a general polish.