Anything you like about motorbikes
weeksy
Site Admin

FLYING START: AN MT-07 SUPERMOTO FROM QUEENSLAND

Post by weeksy »

Ditchfinder

Re: FLYING START: AN MT-07 SUPERMOTO FROM QUEENSLAND

Post by Ditchfinder »

Ooooh hello, now I don't like where the rear plate is mounted but otherwise :thumbup:
'07 Griso 1100 7 '94 Sprint 900
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Yes and no, I like the bodywork, but the bike looks too long for it
Honda Owner
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

:thumbup:
derek badger

Post by derek badger »

Ditchfinder wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:07 am Ooooh hello, now I don't like where the rear plate is mounted but otherwise :thumbup:
What he said. More street tracker than SM. Would look look with a set of wets on it.
Potter

Post by Potter »

At first glance it looks cool but it's another concept art project, it's something dressed up as something it isn't and he's sacrificed most of it's usability for a concept look that just won't work.
The body/seat is from a bike where you're not going to spend any time sitting down, but the rest of the bike isn't that type of bike at all. After half an hour that's not going to be a pleasant bike to ride. It's not much use as a pukka SM and it's not much use as a fun bike to ride on the road.

As a one-off art project for the bloke that made it, brill.
As a viable working product, useless.

I'm glad that people do these things, I like to see expressions of what people want to see as a show piece, but then the pragmatic side of me kicks in very quickly and it turns me off because most of them have got very little usability. It's a show bike rather than a riders bike.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:09 am At first glance it looks cool but it's another concept art project, it's something dressed up as something it isn't and he's sacrificed most of it's usability for a concept look that just won't work.
The body/seat is from a bike where you're not going to spend any time sitting down, but the rest of the bike isn't that type of bike at all. After half an hour that's not going to be a pleasant bike to ride. It's not much use as a pukka SM and it's not much use as a fun bike to ride on the road.

As a one-off art project for the bloke that made it, brill.
As a viable working product, useless.

I'm glad that people do these things, I like to see expressions of what people want to see as a show piece, but then the pragmatic side of me kicks in very quickly and it turns me off because most of them have got very little usability. It's a show bike rather than a riders bike.
Not sure i agree at all, he's made the seat a lot higher/narrower in a Supermoto context, so sure you're not going to do 400 mile days, but can't see why this wouldn't be brilliant for B lane blasts to the cafe/pub, 20-30, maybe even 50-60 miles with ease.

Sure, it won't be a competition SM or a tourer... but as a bike, i'm sure it'd be awesome.
lostboy

Post by lostboy »

I really like that.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I really like it, I think!
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:07 am
Not sure i agree at all, he's made the seat a lot higher/narrower in a Supermoto context, so sure you're not going to do 400 mile days, but can't see why this wouldn't be brilliant for B lane blasts to the cafe/pub, 20-30, maybe even 50-60 miles with ease.

Sure, it won't be a competition SM or a tourer... but as a bike, i'm sure it'd be awesome.
The original bike would have been just as good and more comfortable.

I’m still of the school where modified bikes have to be better than the version that left the factory.
v8-powered

Post by v8-powered »

Like how it looks but wouldn't want to ride it....
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 8:07 am

The original bike would have been just as good and more comfortable.

I’m still of the school where modified bikes have to be better than the version that left the factory.
Dunno, maybe the bars and position will improve it... but it won't be much different i'd argue no.

'better' surely better can just be aesthetics ? Or does it need to handle, perform etc better ?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:45 am
Dunno, maybe the bars and position will improve it... but it won't be much different i'd argue no.

'better' surely better can just be aesthetics ? Or does it need to handle, perform etc better ?
Better aesthetics or better in some way that the owner values is good enough I suppose, it just doesn’t work for me.

IMHO apart from the looks he’s taken all the worst parts from both bikes and combined them. So you’ve got all the weight and dimensions of a non-SM and combined that with all the discomfort and impracticality of an actual SM.

I’d be impressed if he could do it the other way - all the lightness and razor sharpness of a SM but with the comfort of a good road bike so you could ride it all day.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Well you can only make a bike weigh so much. SMs are light for a reason, usually engine, frame and swingarm weights. Unless you change them you can't shed tonnes of weight. An MT07 engine will be heavy, you can't magically resolve that.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:38 am
That's bloody rare, apart from fitting better quality suspension and brakes to a bike, modified ones are rarely better than standard, and the more modifications they have the worse they are to ride on the road.
Honda Owner
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:10 am Well you can only make a bike weigh so much. SMs are light for a reason, usually engine, frame and swingarm weights. Unless you change them you can't shed tonnes of weight. An MT07 engine will be heavy, you can't magically resolve that.

So why make this MT07 look like a SM?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:23 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:10 am Well you can only make a bike weigh so much. SMs are light for a reason, usually engine, frame and swingarm weights. Unless you change them you can't shed tonnes of weight. An MT07 engine will be heavy, you can't magically resolve that.

So why make this MT07 look like a SM?
To make something unique. To make something special?

Not all SMs are lightweight competition bikes, think of the XR 650, the xt660x or even the KTM 690 smcr, I bet this mt07 is close to the weight of a 690.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I like it. :thumbup:

Not that keen on the can and the number plate bracket looks a bit 'industrial strength' but otherwise it's rather smart and looks like fun.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Potter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am

Better aesthetics or better in some way that the owner values is good enough I suppose, it just doesn’t work for me.

IMHO apart from the looks he’s taken all the worst parts from both bikes and combined them. So you’ve got all the weight and dimensions of a non-SM and combined that with all the discomfort and impracticality of an actual SM.

I’d be impressed if he could do it the other way - all the lightness and razor sharpness of a SM but with the comfort of a good road bike so you could ride it all day.
When I first looked at it I thought nice, then my practical head chimed in with the same thought of he's just made a great bike less usable. But, I do like it when people mess with bikes, well, mostly...
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Taipan wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:05 pm
Potter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:03 am

When I first looked at it I thought nice, then my practical head chimed in with the same thought of he's just made a great bike less usable. But, I do like it when people mess with bikes, well, mostly...
How many people do longer days than this can and will realistically do ? I'd say as many riders are happy with 100 mile days as are happy doing 300 mile days. Even on this seat you'd be more than happy as 100 miles.. Especially as they're more than likely be more 'fun' roads rather than dual carriageways.