RC30 - Worth a punt?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Potter

RC30 - Worth a punt?

Post by Potter »

Couchy

Re: RC30 - Worth a punt?

Post by Couchy »

That looks a nice one but I’d want a real close look tbh. It’s not going down in value so why not
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

For what reason? To ride? Own? Long term profit?
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

What do you want to do with it, it's expensive, as an investment I don't think you're going to make much, as a track bike it's a great experience but can you afford to chuck £27K down the track?
Honda Owner
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:05 pm What do you want to do with it, it's expensive, as an investment I don't think you're going to make much, as a track bike it's a great experience but can you afford to chuck £27K down the track?
Course he can.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

As said, it looks nice but I'd want to go over it with a tooth comb. And also as said, what would you do with it?

It looks like a mint UK bike. It also looks like it's only had one MoT so maybe it's spent a lot of time on a racetrack. Maybe.

If you were going to ride it, IIRC the rear tyre is an odd size - a 170 width 18"er or something - with few good rubber choices these days. From memory people used to use a different rear wheel when riding them.

edit - the front indicators look like they're not sitting quite right, like the fairing is pushing them down a ha'peth. It might be perspective or in my mind or the droop of decades ... but it might not.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

It's a no for all sorts of reasons - unless you're so in love with the marque you just have to have one, I totally get that. I think I'd be wary about riding it, and the consequences of crashing it, until at least two seconds after pressing the ignition.
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

Find out what size back wheel is fitted to it.
Ask for a picture of the front brake pads out of the calipers.
If it had a 17 rear and non oe pads fitted.......track bike!
Those front indicators don't look right either.
Having ridden one, they were amazing in the 90s but now....
And you will get tired very quickly of 1st gear
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Asian Boss wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:14 pm It looks like a mint UK bike. It also looks like it's only had one MoT so maybe it's spent a lot of time on a racetrack. Maybe.
It's done 70 miles since the last MOT. If it was on track, it wasn't for very long! Or the odometer was disconnected.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 4:23 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:14 pm It looks like a mint UK bike. It also looks like it's only had one MoT so maybe it's spent a lot of time on a racetrack. Maybe.
It's done 70 miles since the last MOT. If it was on track, it wasn't for very long! Or the odometer was disconnected.
Single track day for a slow rider, or more likely all the road going gear and bodywork was taken off for the track.

I've ridden the 400 version, a truly amazing handling bike, probably the best handling bike I've ever ridden.
Honda Owner
Skub

Post by Skub »

If it's something you really want,then why not. Buy it and ride it for a while,then punt it on for no loss.

As far as an investment goes,it'll be a while before there's any significant hike from 26k.

I can't think of a single Honda model I'd want,the brand leaves me cold,but that's just me. The RC30 is undeniably an iconic bike.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Honda are probably my favourite brand....they're certainly the only Japanese brand I have any aspiration to own!

With interest rates as they are you might as well buy it Potter.
GuzziPaul

Post by GuzziPaul »

Mate bought one a couple of years ago at a real life auction. He was at the auction and it was going for a good price, several thousand less than this one. Previously owned by Honda France and used at Paul Ricard. Appeared in classic bike in the auction sections after the sale.
As others have said, going to take a while to make much on that price if buying as an investment, however as an occasional ride and something to look at it would be nice.
I wouldn't worry too much if its been an ex race bike, as if so its probably been well maintained, however I would want to have a very close look at it to make sure there was no damage.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

As an investment... I think it'll will take a long time to see a profit
As an ornament.... Well it is pretty, but will Mrs Potter want it in the lounge
As a bike to ride.... you'll hate it, it was an AMAZING motorcycle 30 years ago, but things move on, a lot! you've owned and ridden stuff that's faster and handles and stops better.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Yeah but all bikes are stupid.

If you want to go really really fast you'd get something else. Especially a man of Potter's means. So all that remains is stuff you want for an intangible reasons. In which case fill your boots.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

One of my best friends has one up near Bradford. It's in his front room.
It's got full history with Tony Scott engine.
He paid about £10k for it about 10 years ago. He takes it up to Kirkby once a year.

Wins all round.

Also got a mint YPVS F2 in his kitchen.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Aren't pretty much all RC30's ex-race bikes.

Once you've finished racing it, put a normal sump plug in and put the mint road body work you kept in the loft back on it... minter!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

Ah, it's at Craigs Honda.

They're a bit like padgets, they've got a fuck ton of rare minters in a warehouse and drip feed them into the market.

I went to look at a CB500X for the wife, the salesman asked if we wanted to look at 'next years' model, they had in the warehouse, but weren't allowed to sell yet.

The unit over the road did in deed have a row of new CB500X's in next years colours... also a row of GSXR750RK's, Bimota's, various Honda RC's and a R7 and a couple of OW01s.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

KungFooBob wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:17 pm Ah, it's at Craigs Honda.

They're a bit like padgets, they've got a fuck ton of rare minters in a warehouse and drip feed them into the market.

I went to look at a CB500X for the wife, the salesman asked if we wanted to look at 'next years' model, they had in the warehouse, but weren't allowed to sell yet.

The unit over the road did in deed have a row of new CB500X's in next years colours... also a row of GSXR750RK's, Bimota's, various Honda RC's and a R7 and a couple of OW01s.
I was in Craig's Honda about 7 years ago. They had 6 or 7 RC30s in the showroom.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:27 pm Honda are probably my favourite brand....they're certainly the only Japanese brand I have any aspiration to own!

With interest rates as they are you might as well buy it Potter.
Me too with the Hondas. In addition to my old XLs, I'd like a new shape CB1000R, one of them African Twins and a 300 Rally.

And he's right about the interest rates Iccy, get it bought!
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.