Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Re: Speed limiters on motorcycles by 2030

Post by Jody »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:05 pm
MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:50 pm
(or possibly GPS data?)
That's gonna be fun.
Given the amount of shite I've been through with 2 years of my daughters car and its insurance black box incorrectly positioning it in 30 limits where a national limit is close by / runs parallel
Could be worse.

In China Google maps et al don't line up with the physical reality of where stuff is (seriously....have a look on Google maps with satellite pics turned on) making any such system essentially unworkable as it currently stands.
Just yesterday I was driving down the a dual carriageway and all of a sudden my maps app decided I was on the 30MPH limit road off to the side!
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

I r
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:05 pm In China Google maps et al don't line up with the physical reality of where stuff is (seriously....have a look on Google maps with satellite pics turned on) making any such system essentially unworkable as it currently stands.
They don't line up well in parts of Europe either.

According to my Garmin I rode along a mountainside in Switzerland for several miles, more or less parallel with the road, but about 50-100 metres away. I did not attempt to follow the sat nav, if I had I would not be here now.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:12 pm I r
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:05 pm In China Google maps et al don't line up with the physical reality of where stuff is (seriously....have a look on Google maps with satellite pics turned on) making any such system essentially unworkable as it currently stands.

According to my Garmin I rode along a mountainside in Switzerland for several miles, more or less parallel with the road, but about 50-100 metres away. I did not attempt to follow the sat nav, if I had I would not be here now.
The manual for my car indicates that, if it was fitted, (which it isn't on mine thank goodness) it 'reads' the road signs but may pick up signs from side roads in error in certain conditions. The use of the GPS data seems an obvious one BUT, unless the GPSs update automatically when limits change the 'speed assist' will be wrong quite often. Locally, almost all speed limits have been reduced by 10mph in recent years. My (not that old) car GPS still shows lots of the old ones. (At least the result would be you could drive at the limit+10 :thumbup: ).

Otherwise the accuracy is pretty good in most places but there have been occasions like when my old BMW bike GPS tried to get me to turn right onto a dual carriageway in France...into the oncoming traffic. It really freaked when road works meant that we were forced to ride on the wrong side of of one though :D
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's deliberate in China though, the CCP force the providers to randomise the maps/GPS relationship a bit. Hence things like this....

https://www.google.com/maps/search/goog ... a=!3m1!1e3

It does make me wonder what happens with vehicle fitted Sat Navs in China.
Bigjawa

Post by Bigjawa »

I know a guy who has a GPS jammer thing to stop his boss from tracking his lorry. I assume it's illegal as hell.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:10 pm

The manual for my car indicates that, if it was fitted, (which it isn't on mine thank goodness) it 'reads' the road signs but may pick up signs from side roads in error in certain conditions. The use of the GPS data seems an obvious one BUT, unless the GPSs update automatically when limits change the 'speed assist' will be wrong quite often. Locally, almost all speed limits have been reduced by 10mph in recent years. My (not that old) car GPS still shows lots of the old ones. (At least the result would be you could drive at the limit+10 :thumbup: ).

Otherwise the accuracy is pretty good in most places but there have been occasions like when my old BMW bike GPS tried to get me to turn right onto a dual carriageway in France...into the oncoming traffic. It really freaked when road works meant that we were forced to ride on the wrong side of of one though :D
My car reads the speed limit signs to display on the dash. Quite often it'll pick up the signs on side roads or slip roads and it almost always misses the transition from 50 to NSL at the start of the M3.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Bigjawa wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:16 pm I know a guy who has a GPS jammer thing to stop his boss from tracking his lorry. I assume it's illegal as hell.
Some carefully placed tinfoil or wire mesh could probably do much the same thing!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Yeah GPS directions using Google maps is often a bit weird.

Recently on a long trip it directed me to leave the mway and immediately rejoin. (?!)
Of course the next time it tried to deviate me it was legitimately trying to stop me getting in a traffic jam and of course I ignored it and got stuck, coming close to missing my connection. :(

Not exactly foolproof is it, currently.
Horse

Post by Horse »

inewham wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 3:16 pm I suppose it will be 'enforced' through insurance, if you have a prang and the limiter has been manually overridden (it will be logged) or fooled eg with a bit of tinfoil your insurance will be invalid
No need to wait for 'then'. Accident Investigators can often interrogate on board computer systems to determine speed immediately prior to a crash.
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

My Transit Custom van has something called an "intelligent speed limiter", which reads the road signs and sets / adjusts the speed limiter accordingly. I find it incredibly useful, especially when driving in urban areas with constantly changing limits (London) or smart motorways with congestion and variable speed limits. I do have to initiate it every time though, it's off by default. I can set a "tolerance" value, which will allow me over the posted speed limit by the value you set, so if the tolerance value is set at 2mph it will allow 32 in a 30, 42 in a 40, 52 in a 50 etc.
Downsides - it can't always differentiate between posted limit signs on the road you're on and on a spur road as you pass it, sometimes you're limited to say 50 and pass a 30 limit sign on a side road and the van immediately slows, have to override and reset it to 50 again. Also, if you're set at say 30 on an urban road and then turn off that road without passing a new speed limit sign, it will often simply self cancel the set limit, even though you're still in a 30 limited zone. So, it's fairly good, but nowhere near infallible yet, and if it were on by default and hard to override it would be really annoying ...
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

My wife's last car had a limiter which could be set to not exceed 30/40/whatever. It was very intrusive and unsettling and a total PITA, so it didn't get used. Her current car can be set to give an audible chime as it exceeds a set speed. It is extremely useful and does get used. My Garmin on the bike does the same, that gets used too.

I am all for giving the driver/rider information, but not at all keen on giving the machine authority.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Manually set limiters are ace in average speed camera roadworks, especially when it's a bit too busy to use cruise control.
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

It's a non-legislative, consultative document with no legal standing, designed to highlight issues of concern.

Don't panic.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Skub

Post by Skub »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 pm It's a non-legislative, consultative document with no legal standing, designed to highlight issues of concern.

Don't panic.
I love it when you talk sweet. 8-)
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

The Spin Doctor wrote: Tue Oct 19, 2021 9:53 pm It's a non-legislative, consultative document with no legal standing, designed to highlight issues of concern.

Don't panic.
So it will be introduced, via secondary legislation, without any debate, in about 6 months.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

P'raps... but it's not already "by 2030" as the headline here says.
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills