Speed limiters on motorcycles by 2030

Anything you like about motorbikes
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Despite Brexit, the UK remains a rule-taker for the European Transport Safety Council. Have you seen this news?

https://www.britishmotorcyclists.co.uk/ ... torcycles/

The council's position is that: "Speed is the number one killer on Europe’s roads."
Skub

Re: Speed limiters on motorcycles by 2030

Post by Skub »

Hot_Air wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:29 pm
The council's position is that: "Speed is the number one source of revenue on Europe’s roads."
They'd not want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs,would they?
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Skub wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:38 pm They'd not want to kill the goose laying the golden eggs,would they?
I've never bought that argument TBH. Speeding fines don't rake in that much money. It's more than I've got down the back of my sofa for sure, but its what - a couple of hundred million a year? And that's before you subtract the cost of handing them out in the first place (and you just know the private firms actually building the cameras can be relied upon to milk a sweet government contract).

How much do RTAs cost every year in medical expenses, traffic delays and lost labour?

Not saying I support the enforced limit BTW, just that I don't subscribe to the "speed cameras are just for making money" thinking.
Skub

Post by Skub »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 3:44 pm
I've never bought that argument TBH. Speeding fines don't rake in that much money. It's more than I've got down the back of my sofa for sure, but its what - a couple of hundred million a year? And that's before you subtract the cost of handing them out in the first place (and you just know the private firms actually building the cameras can be relied upon to milk a sweet government contract).

How much do RTAs cost every year in medical expenses, traffic delays and lost labour?

Not saying I support the enforced limit BTW, just that I don't subscribe to the "speed cameras are just for making money" thinking.
Not everyone who speeds requires medical attention and not every accident is caused by excess speed.

If any government was serious about stopping speeding,the technology has existed for years to stop vehicles speeding,but they can inhabit the moral high ground and wave an admonishing finger at 'offenders',while allowing us all to do as we please.

Sounds to me like they have a good reason for that. :thumbup:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Every accident does involve speed though. Very hard to get injured unless at least one of the vehicles involved is moving! Simple physics tells you faster accidents will result in more deaths, regardless of what actually causes them.

As for why they don't do it already...sure fire vote loser innit? For now at least.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Won't happen.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Motorcycles already have speed limiters BTW.

186mph might be a vaguely abusrd speed limit to set, but the "maybe these things are too fast....." seed has already been planted.
Horse

Post by Horse »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:33 pm
Won't happen.
Probably not without some sort of override.

One of the fundamental principles of the Geneva Convention has been the concept that a driver is always fully in control and responsible for the behavior of a vehicle in traffic.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:36 pm Motorcycles already have speed limiters BTW.

186mph might be a vaguely abusrd speed limit to set, but the "maybe these things are too fast....." seed has already been planted.
The speedo is limited. The bikes will go faster.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I like the way they call it Intelligent* speed assistance and not Intelligent slow assistance.

(Coming to all new cars from 2022/3 I think).

It's a bit of a political football. One lot think 'the people must be protected from themselves' the other lot that 'people must be free to do the crime/do the time'.

By the time they've finished adding all the driver/rider aids most accidents will be caused by people falling asleep at the wheel/handlebars.

PS On cars the override is to rapidly press the accelerator and I think you can switch it off at the start of every journey iirc.

*Intelligent my :angry-cussingblack: It's hardly :angry-cussingblack: Einsten is it?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Demannu

Post by Demannu »

We have (a newly re introduced) 90k speed limit on A roads. It was 80, as Macron and his cronies had declared that speed was a greater evil than the UK.
Data quickly proved that the death rate barely changed so with a gallic shrug the PTB said do what you like to the local prefectures.
The biggest issue is DLAC. End of!
I get people drifting towards me oncoming, overtaking when there isn't a gap, people getting pissed off with sans permis cars, generally a 'me, me, me' mentality.
Do you think that Muppets who DLAC are going to buy a post 2030 electric restricted car (remember 2030 is no more ice)
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm PS On cars the override is to rapidly press the accelerator and I think you can switch it off at the start of every journey iirc.
Are you talking about the self set ones, or the hard limits? On my last car for example you can choose whatever limit you want and the car won't go above that, but if you press the accelerator beyond a 'notch' at the end of it's travel it'll go above the limit.

Things like BMWs and Jags which have a 155mph limit are hard limited, they'll never go above that regardless of what the driver does* (speedo inaccuracy not withstanding).

The former manual system actually gets you a higher NCAP safety score IIRC.

*Unless said driver pays extra at the dealer to ip the limit to 186mph in some models :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:19 pm
Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:53 pm PS On cars the override is to rapidly press the accelerator and I think you can switch it off at the start of every journey iirc.
Are you talking about the self set ones, or the hard limits? On my last car for example you can choose whatever limit you want and the car won't go above that, but if you press the accelerator beyond a 'notch' at the end of it's travel it'll go above the limit.

Things like BMWs and Jags which have a 155mph limit are hard limited, they'll never go above that regardless of what the driver does* (speedo inaccuracy not withstanding).

*Unless said driver pays extra at the dealer to ip the limit to 186mph in some models :lol:
The cars will 'read' the speed limit signs (or possibly GPS data?) and not go faster than that unless you override it.

ie you can't do 32mph in a 30mph limit or 43 in a 40 etc.
Voltaire
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:31 pm

The cars will 'read' the speed limit signs (or possibly GPS data?) and not go faster than that unless you override it.

Here in Spain you're allowed to do 15 Ks over speed limit when overtaking.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:31 pm

Ah OK....had a Ovlov courtesy car with that too. Just push past the 'stop' on the pedal as with the self set limit.

Wouldn't take much to make it un push past able!

You could even fool peoples cars with home made signs outside your front door if you wanted I bet.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I expect they'll be able to interrogate the system and demonstrate where and when you overrode the system too.
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Volvos also have a hard 112mph limit these days.

Probably faster than any Volvo will ever go, but still...
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

(or possibly GPS data?)
That's gonna be fun.
Given the amount of shite I've been through with 2 years of my daughters car and its insurance black box incorrectly positioning it in 30 limits where a national limit is close by / runs parallel
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:41 pm Volvos also have a hard 112mph limit these days.

Probably faster than any Volvo will ever go, but still...
My old Volvo V70 2.5T did. :D

(Specified top speed 140mph and tuning kits available too 👍).
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

MrLongbeard wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:50 pm
(or possibly GPS data?)
That's gonna be fun.
Given the amount of shite I've been through with 2 years of my daughters car and its insurance black box incorrectly positioning it in 30 limits where a national limit is close by / runs parallel
Could be worse.

In China Google maps et al don't line up with the physical reality of where stuff is (seriously....have a look on Google maps with satellite pics turned on) making any such system essentially unworkable as it currently stands.