Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
Fruity

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Fruity »

I've gone for a petrol car this time round, on a four year lease. I'm doing fewer miles than in previous years - my previous four cars have been diesels.I

I think by the time my next lease is up, the position will be clearer around hybrid electric cars and/or hydrogen fuel cells. I don't think plug-in electric vehicles have a mainstream future in this country, for a variety of reasons.
Mussels

Re: Would you have an electric car if you had the money for a new car and were in the market for one?

Post by Mussels »

I looked at the salary sacrifice scheme to see if it was worth asking my company about. Leasing a Tesla 3 is about the same price as leasing a Jag XF but with the tax perk it looks about the same total cost as buying a 3 year old XF and keeping it for 3 years.
I chose Tesla as it seems to cope with higher speeds (60-70mph lol) much better than European EVs so is a more realistic choice as my only car. Unfortunately the 3 is a bit small, bigger ones are over twice the monthly price and I'm not willing to put up with a badly built car for the sake of virtue signalling.
We're nearly there but expect when the deals look ok the 1-2% BIK benefit will be cancelled.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 am It was also that the rotors don't seem very 'wind-catchy' IYSWIM.
Rotating cylinders are perhaps quite surprising in their ability to catch the wind...

Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:53 am
Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:46 am It was also that the rotors don't seem very 'wind-catchy' IYSWIM.
Rotating cylinders are perhaps quite surprising in their ability to catch the wind...

Still can't get my head around how eg that plane arrangement gives a uni-directional (lift) or bi-directional (lift and drive) pressure. I can see how the spiral could create pressure along the long axis of the cylinder à la propeller screw or Da Vinci's helicopter but.... :hmmm:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:29 pm

Still can't get my head around how eg that plane arrangement gives a uni-directional (lift) or bi-directional (lift and drive) pressure. I can see how the spiral could create pressure along the long axis of the cylinder à la propeller screw or Da Vinci's helicopter but.... :hmmm:
I think it is reliant on the forward motion provided by the standard props, not sure if there's any benefit over a standard wing.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:06 pm
Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:29 pm

I think it is reliant on the forward motion provided by the standard props, not sure if there's any benefit over a standard wing.
It seems so. A little digging reveals:

The Magnus effect is named after Heinrich Gustav Magnus, the German physicist who investigated it. The force on a rotating cylinder is known as Kutta–Joukowski lift,[4] after Martin Kutta and Nikolai Zhukovsky (or Joukowski), who first analyzed the effect.

So, in moving forward when spinning in the right direction it generates lift as there's less drag on the side moving with the flow. I guess the spirals make sure they spin in the right direction. I've seen kites like the plane. Not sure what direction the wind would have to blow to push the ship in the right direction though!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

With the ships I imagine the fact it's quite a simple steel structure is quite a big part of it. Big dumb tubes are well....big and dumb, right? Not that hard to add to a ship that's already made out of big bits of steel.
Nordboy

Post by Nordboy »

So, I've been pondering an EV for a few months, personal car, not business. I currently have a BMW 540i touring on PCP but with the crazy used prices, I can punt it on an leave a few quid in my pocket for the next car.

BUT, even something like a Kona, unless I put near enough £8k deposit down, I can't get my monthlies anywhere near what I pay for my BMW. This is what's going to keep the EV market down? Why would I chop in my lovely 540 for a Kia (or other brand) EV with much lower spec etc, for more money??

And a premium EV is at least double, in some cases quadruple my current monthly payments.

Doesn't currently make much sense to move to an EV?
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I like that new Ioniq 5. Looks very Squid Game. :thumbup:
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:06 am I like that new Ioniq 5. Looks very Squid Game. :thumbup:
They look like a modern concept car imagining of a Lancia Delta to me :lol:

They're top of the list for my next car at the mo, I could get one next year for £345pcm with all bills included and no deposit.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Seems lots of people would
"The Tesla Model 3 was the bestselling car across Europe in September, the first time a battery electric vehicle has topped the monthly sales charts in the region."
JimboTheJetSet

Post by JimboTheJetSet »

Yep. Work for VWFS so have gone Audi Q4 for my next car. Took one home the other night and it was great. 280 miles off a charge, mileage was realistic estimate over a 27 mile commute each way. I can live with 280 miles range off a charge easily.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

slowsider wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:31 pm Seems lots of people would
"The Tesla Model 3 was the bestselling car across Europe in September, the first time a battery electric vehicle has topped the monthly sales charts in the region."
As far as I've seen on Youtube, Tesla is taking a massive share of sales off Mercedes.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

They're certainly putting the shits up the OEMs!

Other OEMs need to get their arses in gear with charging too. From people I've spoken to that's a big big part of it...Tesla struggle a bit on quality, actually being a car etc. but that doesn't matter when you've got their massive charging network. The thing people worry about on EVs - 100 times more than they worry about anything else - is running out of charge. So Tesla have built a massive charging network. Seems obvious really. :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

The charging companies need to get their shit together also.
Dicking about with loads of different apps so you can pay to charge a car? Thats just silly.
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

slowsider wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 4:31 pm Seems lots of people would
This seems to be a recurring pattern and might explain some quality issues, a mad rush to get deliveries complete before the end of each quarter.
Plus new car sales being low overall helps distort the picture.

But out of all the brands they interest me most due to the motorway range which European tests hide making EU cars look as good.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Obvious idea really...

slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:16 pm Obvious idea really...

Beeching.... :(
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

It was a good idea before you were a twinkle in your dad's eye ffs.

Horse

Post by Horse »

slowsider wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 10:48 pm

Beeching.... :(
One of several different in-transit charging methods being tested. Some more practical than others.