WFH -How's it going?

General chat topics, anything and everything you want or need to discuss
McNab

Re: WFH -How's it going?

Post by McNab »

I really like working from home. I always said would would be perfect if I didn't have to go to work and now I don't.

The company has been opening it's offices recently but there's been no push to make us go back. Considering they shut one of the other offices down in the pandemic and told them all our office is now their office, I can't see them wanting us all in at the same time as we won't all have somewhere to sit. There weren't enough places for everyone originally anyway.

I do sometimes struggle with motivation though, particularly when the work is slow or smaller tasks. On the flip side I find I'm more willing to work later as I don't have to face that hour+ journey home afterwards.

Also, I don't have to spend 15 minutes wandering around the office trying to find an free/working shitter when I need a dump :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:36 pm Oh, I just wondered because you live abroad (I think) whether you worked 'local' + the time between F2F meetings seemed quite long.
Sorry, I misunderstood.
The time between f2fs was of my own choosing. I'm far enough away that travel is inconvenient and expensive. My role isn't one that really even justifies f2f meetings really, I don't meet clients and I don't really need to smell and feel colleagues (ffs). Or be sneezed on - I really hate being sneezed on - every time I go to the office I come back with an effing cold.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

I could barely motivate myself when I was full time so would sleep at home ;)

But my last job at McAfee I worked in the virus lab and that was properly locked down. Definitely no remote access :obscene-birdiedoublered:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I spent time commuting to that London, fortunately it wasn't my base office so I got travel expenses :D It cost quite a few ££s so anyone not having to do it is quids-in. I wonder if companies will try to cut rates for new hires if they don't have to do it?

I know a few of you above are in IT and that probably makes things simpler, although it used to bother companies because they didn't know how to manage people/productivity remotely (and didn't trust them!) but one company, back in the day was set up to do it - FI (or F International) set out to 'leverage a lost skill base' ie employ women who'd left work to have kids but could work from home. That was mainly carving COBOL code out of lumps of rock though. :D
My spine is the bass line.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm I !) but one company, back in the day was set up to do it - FI (or F International) set out to 'leverage a lost skill base' ie employ women who'd left work to have kids but could work from home. That was mainly carving COBOL code out of lumps of rock though. :D
I used to work for F.I. in Leeds 2000 ish.
I was outsourced DBA for Parcelforce.
Taff

Post by Taff »

weeksy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:46 pm
Taff wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:32 pm
Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm I'm lucky in that I don't feel the need for separation from home and work. I think about work all the time anyway. Not in the sense that it's stressing me out or I'm anxious about it, but in the sense that it's something I'm really interested in and love doing. Therefore having my work computer "just there" and available is a real boon for me. I can just drop in and out of my desk no problem.
I'm very very different to this, I go to work before 7am and finish at 4 (give our take half an hour). At the end of the day I shut down my computer and that's it until the next working day because the evening is family and dogs time. 🤩
4???? Hope you get paid overtime for working so late
Lol, the contract I started on said 4 X 8 hour days and 5 on a Friday, so yes, working a bit later every day = overtime on Friday, still finishing at 12.

Weirdly, booking a week's leave only costs me 4.5 days leave because the Friday is a contracted half day 😂
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:01 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:50 pm I !) but one company, back in the day was set up to do it - FI (or F International) set out to 'leverage a lost skill base' ie employ women who'd left work to have kids but could work from home. That was mainly carving COBOL code out of lumps of rock though. :D
They did get into the outsourcing thing too but they seem to have disappeared. Did you get to meet 'Steve'? :D

I worked on a big project that had some FI people and some Accenture people. The FI lot all bought sandwiches in and uggbered off at 5pm, the Accenture people used to 'do lunch' and be there at 9pm. :lol:

Oh yeah...and the Accenture boys were all sharp suits while FI was cardies and Hush Puppies. :D
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

My company is already taking about taking on a new hire based in India, I tried to find a nice way of saying I've been there a couple of times and it doesn't work well.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Mussels wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:25 pm My company is already taking about taking on a new hire based in India, I tried to find a nice way of saying I've been there a couple of times and it doesn't work well.
My lot started up a Bangalore business. We ended up shipping their people over here to get anything done. Off-shoring became On-shoring. :lol:
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Working? How quaint, do people still do that?

Seriously, I used to work from home occasionally 30+ years ago. I could be made to work even then, with today's technology it is a doddle. My daughter is a Programme Manager for a big publisher, she works entirely from 'home', although occasionally 'home' is temporarily re-located to other places. She has worked recently from a Greek island, and from a village near Lake Bled in Slovenia. All that is needed is a good internet connection.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 pm
They did get into the outsourcing thing too but they seem to have disappeared. Did you get to meet 'Steve'? :D
There were 5 floors and our floor was mainly Parcelforce. Steve who ?

Offices were right in the middle of Leeds where parking was berserk. But underground parking for 4 bosses cars and we could slip the bikes in around the corner :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Oh and F.I. became Xansa.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Yorick wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:37 pm
Count Steer wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 4:08 pm

There were 5 floors and our floor was mainly Parcelforce. Steve who ?

Offices were right in the middle of Leeds where parking was berserk. But underground parking for 4 bosses cars and we could slip the bikes in around the corner :obscene-birdiedoublered:

Oh and F.I. became Xansa.
Oh yes, Xansa. Dame 'Steve' Shirley started/owned FI. :D

They probably thought they didn't need parking........everyone could work from home. :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

WFH or living at work, meh. I don’t and won’t do it although it’s possible. Wife does it and hates it as she liked her job and seeing work colleagues at work.
I don’t get why anyone would tbh, there’s no way anyone does a full days work when at home either, too many take the piss. It’s a huge mistake and one reason why when we try and get actual work done on customer sites people aren’t available. It’s prob fine for IT folk who don’t like people anyway. But then that jib could be done for half the cost by someone overseas.

Obviously I’m not a fan, those of ours that do occasionally get more done and quicker when they’re in the office than when at home. They interact more and any queries get sorted straight away when folk are next to you.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Our productivity has actually gone up since people started WFH. We must have been proper tossing it off before :lol:

I reckon it just shows who's an introvert and who's an extrovert.
millemille

Post by millemille »

I do the odd day WFH when I've got a piece of work to do that requires me to be as uninterrupted as possible (right now I'm writing a paper for a supplier on how to introduce a new type of sand into use on train sanders in the UK so I've been WFH today) but I hate it TBH.

We didn't stop at all during covid, although we changed the focus of the business as capital projects stopped dead over night but the operational side of the business - supporting train operators with their maintenance - got busier, and I was in the office as normal as often as possible.

A lot of engineering is about sharing experience and bouncing ideas of others in a spontaneous way. So many solutions come from those "water cooler " moments and they just can't happen WFH.

I'm a social animal anyway and enjoy being part of a team.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Couchy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 7:39 pm there’s no way anyone does a full days work when at home either, too many take the piss.
Dazzle has been succinct and eloquent.

I'll just say "bollocks".

Actually, I'll say a bit more: it makes no difference to me what's outside the window, or which window it is. It's the same type of work, same calls and conversations. I'm 'measured' on what I deliver (and the quality of it) and how much time I take to achieve it.

Some of that involves calls with others, so if I'm not there, or don't reply to messages within a reasonable time, it would be obvious (everyone has access to my diary, so knows whether I'm busy).

You be a potential piss-taking slacker (and I don't think you are ;) ), but that doesn't mean everyone else is too.
Horse

Post by Horse »

millemille wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm A lot of engineering is about sharing experience and bouncing ideas of others in a spontaneous way. So many solutions come from those "water cooler " moments and they just can't happen WFH.
That is a big drawback, yes.

But it's something we're looking at ways around.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

millemille wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:01 pm A lot of engineering is about sharing experience and bouncing ideas of others in a spontaneous way. So many solutions come from those "water cooler " moments and they just can't happen WFH.
I disagree....not about the spontaneity bit, but about the fact it can't happen WFH. I work in Engineering R&D, so pretty much everything we do is new and unusual. I've been doing this sort of thing for >15 years and I can honestly say I don't think WFH has dented productivity or inventiveness.

I will say effort is required. We could have all just retreated into our own offices and never spoken to each other unless we needed too. Fortunately both we and the company recognised the danger in that so we have lots of "no agenda" meetings.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Horse wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:09 pm I'll just say "bollocks".
As I said, I think the attitude just demonstrates who's strongly introverted and who's extroverted.

Extroverts like to be around people right? They get their energy from interaction and engagement etc. Some of them can't see how people would be any other way. The idea that someone can be motivated and diligent without external 'enforcement' seems alien to some.

Or maybe the lady just protests too much :D
millemille

Post by millemille »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:12 pm
I disagree....not about the spontaneity bit, but about the fact it can't happen WFH. I work in Engineering R&D, so pretty much everything we do is new and unusual. I've been doing this sort of thing for >15 years and I can honestly say I don't think WFH has dented productivity or inventiveness.

I will say effort is required. We could have all just retreated into our own offices and never spoken to each other unless we needed too. Fortunately both we and the company recognised the danger in that so we have lots of "no agenda" meetings.
I guess it also depends on what kind of engineer you are. I'm hands on, if I have an idea on how we could do something new/different/whatever I dig out the welder and plasma cutter and whatever else I need and drag out sheets of metal and whatever else I need and mackle it together.

A few years ago I had a vague idea of how a new type of sander could work so did exactly what I described above and a few hours later I'd got a working prototype...

The day I'm more than a few paces away from the coal face, even as the ED, is the day I jack it all in. I sit on a couple of industry research and steering groups and I look at some the engineers there and think "How on earth can you speak with any authority on rolling stock engineering?" because it's been years since they've been under a train or picked up tools and worked on their own products...