INCOMING, Happy 50th to me.... Yeah, it's a Yamaha... it's the easy option.

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Potter

Re: INCOMING, Happy 50th to me.... Yeah, it's a Yamaha... it's the easy option.

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 pm Lol you lot seem to be missing the fact I'd never accept your money. I have enough issues allowing @Welsh Muffin buying me Xmas presents and birthday presents, let alone accepting something from my virtual friends.

Seriously, thank you, it's very kind. But it's not me to accept things.
People tend not to give stuff away to people they don't like, or for no reason.

You put shitloads of good content on here, put up with all my shit, and give everyone a place to hang out and connect.
I think people are just trying to say thank you.

There is a few quid in the pot towards the £250 and I'd happily make up the difference, you don't have to accept it, but it's no biggie, like I said I think people just want to say thanks.

The only problem is when you sell it in three months and buy another 690 you'll look a twat riding around with MT07 on it :lol:
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

lostboy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:08 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:55 pm
lostboy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:33 pm

I'm not. I'll do 10% of it as a happy birthday and thank you for providing our home and being a top virtual bloke (and, apparently, IRL as well!).
Ditto. :thumbup: + Many Happy Returns :D
That's £50 of it straight away. Who else is in so that Weeksy has a permanent momento* of our love and respect for him and what he's done for us both here and IRL?

*because we're all going to laugh when he has to transfer it off the MT07 and put it onto something else - but that's part of the attraction :)
I'm in :)
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:01 am
weeksy wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:40 pm Lol you lot seem to be missing the fact I'd never accept your money. I have enough issues allowing @Welsh Muffin buying me Xmas presents and birthday presents, let alone accepting something from my virtual friends.

Seriously, thank you, it's very kind. But it's not me to accept things.
People tend not to give stuff away to people they don't like, or for no reason.

You put shitloads of good content on here, put up with all my shit, and give everyone a place to hang out and connect.
I think people are just trying to say thank you.

There is a few quid in the pot towards the £250 and I'd happily make up the difference, you don't have to accept it, but it's no biggie, like I said I think people just want to say thanks.

The only problem is when you sell it in three months and buy another 690 you'll look a twat riding around with MT07 on it :lol:
There's nothing in the pot mate :) someone sent some money which i instantly refunded... Harsh that may be, but i wasn't going to take your money guys... Sorry.

If you wanna say thanks, that's all well and good, we'll meet up somewhere and you guys can all buy me lunch and a beer... but that's as much of a thanks as i want/need.

The plate is both ridiculous and awesome at the same time. But if it's going to get bought, i'll be the one who has to find the cash.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

this came up at absolutely daft money and i do mean daft money. Despite the fact it's the non-adjustable model, it's still a massive improvement over the standard item. They're £425 from Wilbers and you'd probably get hit for import duty now too. It's sprung a few kg soft for me... but i don't mind that. It's still worth throwing on for the price.

Images-l1600 (2) by Steve Weeks, on Flickr
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 am Stealthy and cool... but i wasn't sure if it was a satin i could clean properly or a matt that would show anything and everything.
Job jobbed;
https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorc ... ujcnBszQhR
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 am
weeksy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:45 am Stealthy and cool... but i wasn't sure if it was a satin i could clean properly or a matt that would show anything and everything.
Job jobbed;
Mmmmmm dunnno mate... you tried it ? I think it may be too late anyway as i've got a plate assigned.. but i doubt it's fully registered to me at this stage until i pay in full.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

weeksy wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:35 am
MrLongbeard wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:33 am
Job jobbed;
Mmmmmm dunnno mate... you tried it ? I think it may be too late anyway as i've got a plate assigned.. but i doubt it's fully registered to me at this stage until i pay in full.
S'all I use on my matte helmet & bike.
It's just a soap and wax free cleaner, if the paint is a proper raw matte finish you're always going to flat it down some as you wipe it and add a tiny amount of shine over the years, but it's cheaper than Harley's denim paint cleaner and I'm happy to use it.

Just something to file away for 'next time'
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

The video here from Neevesy kinda highlights the MT07 idea and reasoning perfectly for me.

I only watched it this morning for the first time, but yeah, that's kinda where i see things.
Potter

Post by Potter »

That's a cracking review, I suppose after watching that you'd be daft not to buy one if that was what you wanted from a bike and your budget.
Reminds me more of the FZR600 than a 350LC though, the FZR was always the hooligans four stroke choice, did everything reasonably well but was a bit more exciting to ride than the competition.

I'm probably getting old and I struggle to get excited over the looks, but he does make the point that it's so much fun to ride that it doesn't matter.
Based on your bike history it's unlikely to be a keeper, but based on that review and as a bike for the next year or so you've probably made the right choice.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:58 am Based on your bike history it's unlikely to be a keeper, but based on that review and as a bike for the next year or so you've probably made the right choice.
I think time and history has shown me there's no such thing in my world as a keeper. I don't really do it with anything if i'm honest. Things get bought, used, sold. I don't have the space and the inclination to keep a bike 20 years, i don't see that as necessary.

So the MT07 will come in... until it goes out. I'm not for a second going to put a number on that.. i'd like to think it'll not be sub 12 months... but, hey, it's far from impossible.
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

Nowt like getting old as an excuse to get a nice bike!! Excellent! Hope you get to enjoy it fully and it gives you giggles and lots of real road fun.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
Dodgy knees

Post by Dodgy knees »

Have you had your registration conformation email yet with plate number. ? Definitely a good fun bike your getting there. But as you say and I'm the same, when I fancy a change mine will be out and something else in. Usually 2 years ish. 👍
Yamaha rocket 3
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:58 am That's a cracking review, I suppose after watching that you'd be daft not to buy one if that was what you wanted from a bike and your budget.
Reminds me more of the FZR600 than a 350LC though, the FZR was always the hooligans four stroke choice, did everything reasonably well but was a bit more exciting to ride than the competition.

I'm probably getting old and I struggle to get excited over the looks, but he does make the point that it's so much fun to ride that it doesn't matter.
Based on your bike history it's unlikely to be a keeper, but based on that review and as a bike for the next year or so you've probably made the right choice.
This will come as no shock to anyone, but I've owned LCs and FZR600s, I never got the thing about FZRs being a hooligans bike, they're very sensible compared with an LC, early GSXR750s were a lot more LC like.

But I can see the MT07 being compared with LCs, never ridden one so I've no idea what they're like, but I have ridden SV650s and they felt like a sensible, sedate LC with decent brakes.
The fat cheese is hard to please
Potter

Post by Potter »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:25 pm
This will come as no shock to anyone, but I've owned LCs and FZR600s, I never got the thing about FZRs being a hooligans bike, they're very sensible compared with an LC, early GSXR750s were a lot more LC like.
In its day it was competing against the ZZR600, the GPX600, the older CBR and the Teapot, so compared to them it was a lot more lively and hooligan-like.
I had a ZZR and FZR and they were very different.

The GSXR750 was another step up, these days anything over 400cc seems to get compared to each other but there were pretty strict lines back then, we would never compare a GSXR to an FZR, it was another level.
Le_Fromage_Grande

A mate had a ZZR600 it was pretty dull compared to the FZR, even the teapot was sportier.

And as you say comparing a 600 do everything bike with a GSXR750 would have been like comparing a frog with a race horse
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:06 pm A mate had a ZZR600 it was pretty dull compared to the FZR, even the teapot was sportier.

And as you say comparing a 600 do everything bike with a GSXR750 would have been like comparing a frog with a race horse
Thats not my memory of the ZZR at all- back then (1990ish) I was racing a CBR in the SS600 class, and my brother had a ZZR road bike , and whilst the FZR or CBR were definitely the pick of the 600s if you wanted to get around a track the fastest in SS600, the ZZR had the more powerful and most exciting motor as standard by a long way, ballistic (relatively speaking) top-end compared to it's then peers, it absolutely screamed, and the teapot was definitely bottom of the pile.

Anyway, surprised as I am by Weeksy's latest purchase, I reckon it's a great choice- I'd have one any day over a 690 Duke, and the Trident wouldn't even get a look-in for me
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tricky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am Anyway, surprised as I am by Weeksy's latest purchase, I reckon it's a great choice- I'd have one any day over a 690 Duke, and the Trident wouldn't even get a look-in for me
See you next Thurs/Fri lunchtime then at Thame if it's dry matey :) unless we head somewhere closer towards Henley. You're more than welcome to have a play. Although the odds of me having done the shock by then are not that high...
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

weeksy wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:33 am
Tricky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am Anyway, surprised as I am by Weeksy's latest purchase, I reckon it's a great choice- I'd have one any day over a 690 Duke, and the Trident wouldn't even get a look-in for me
See you next Thurs/Fri lunchtime then at Thame if it's dry matey :) unless we head somewhere closer towards Henley. You're more than welcome to have a play. Although the odds of me having done the shock by then are not that high...
You're on- fingers crossed for the weather gods! :thumbup:
Le_Fromage_Grande

Tricky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am
Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:06 pm A mate had a ZZR600 it was pretty dull compared to the FZR, even the teapot was sportier.

Thats not my memory of the ZZR at all- back then (1990ish) I was racing a CBR in the SS600 class, and my brother had a ZZR road bike , and whilst the FZR or CBR were definitely the pick of the 600s if you wanted to get around a track the fastest in SS600, the ZZR had the more powerful and most exciting motor as standard by a long way, ballistic (relatively speaking) top-end compared to it's then peers, it absolutely screamed, and the teapot was definitely bottom of the pile.

Anyway, surprised as I am by Weeksy's latest purchase, I reckon it's a great choice- I'd have one any day over a 690 Duke, and the Trident wouldn't even get a look-in for me
ZZR was definitely the fastest of the 600s, it had a higher top speed than my GSXR750
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:28 am
The ZZR was a screamer, IIRC it had a 14k rev limit which back then was mental, but it was a big bike and it felt top heavy, in fact it felt soft and heavy all over. It's fondly remembered now as a sports-tourer although back when it was launched Kawasaki heavily leveraged the 150mph top speed claims and compared to something like a GPZ900 it felt sporty - but I was racing two strokes at the time and so the ZZR felt like a barge, the FZR was also a barge but less so than the ZZR, IIRC the ZZR was a good 30-40kg heavier than the FZR and you felt every kg.

When the CBR600F2 came along in 1991 it blitzed everything though, I remember testing one and it was so easy to go fast, my mate was a faster rider than me and he was on his RD500 and I easily left him behind. I didn't like the looks but I remember standing at my mates house looking at it and we all knew that from that point on two strokes were dead.