The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:14 pm
irie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:02 pm
Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:05 pm
The Commission is selected by the Council which is made up of elected Heads of State. Just the same really as we elect a party with a leader, they select the ministers. Nobody elects someone to the post of eg Home Secretary. What they then do is scrutinised by the elected Parliament in several ways.

Non- democratic? Only if you want to believe it.
Bit like the House of Lords but even the House of Lords can introduce new legislation.
That would be the democratically elected House of Lords introducing new legislation would it? Those people that we voted for?

Glass houses/stones etc.
The fact that you removed this from your above quote speaks for itself. :lol:
True, scrutinise but absolutely nothing else. The Parliament can only take it or leave it - it can not introduce any legislation of its own. Bit like the House of Lords but even the House of Lords can introduce new legislation.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

irie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:51 pm
irie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:02 pm

Bit like the House of Lords but even the House of Lords can introduce new legislation.
That would be the democratically elected House of Lords introducing new legislation would it? Those people that we voted for?

Glass houses/stones etc.
True, scrutinise but absolutely nothing else. The Parliament can only take it or leave it - it can not introduce any legislation of its own. Bit like the House of Lords but even the House of Lords can introduce new legislation.
The fact that you used the House of Lords as an example of democracy was funnier :lol:

(Nice fast edit btw :D ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
irie

Post by irie »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:03 pm
irie wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:51 pm

Glass houses/stones etc.
The fact that you used the House of Lords as an example of democracy was funnier :lol:

(Nice fast edit btw :D ).
The sole purpose of mentioning the House of Lords was to illustrate the absolute legislative impotency of the European Parliament, nowhere was the House of Lords presented as a democratic institution.

Even the House of Lords can introduce new legislation (which of course is subject to scrutiny and voting in the elected House of Commons) whereas the European Parliament can not.

But you know all this of course.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Hot_Air

Post by Hot_Air »

Horse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:57 pm No-one could really predict what would happen. But they neither side really tried.
Some people with in-depth expertise in their industry were able to predict what would happen to it.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Hot_Air wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:42 pm
Horse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:57 pm No-one could really predict what would happen. But they neither side really tried.
Some people with in-depth expertise in their industry were able to predict what would happen to it.
Quite a few people outside the moaning industries could predict it too, but the industries concerned prefer to moan and lobby for more visas rather than address the issues themselves. When was the last time you met a young person who got a job as an apprentice HGV driver?
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Felix

Post by Felix »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 pm When was the last time you met a young person who got a job as an apprentice HGV driver?
Two years ago if you count 29 as young
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Cousin Jack wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:50 pm When was the last time you met a young person who got a job as an apprentice HGV driver?
Has such a thing ever existed? It's not something that's ever struck me as needing an apprenticeship.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

I don't think they've been called HGVs for some time. From memory they're LGVs now.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Asian Boss wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don't think they've been called HGVs for some time. From memory they're LGVs now.
LGV - Light Goods Vehicle. This is up to 3.5t maximum laden weight. This is the license everyone has regardless of when you passed your test.

HGV - Heavy Goods Vehicle. A bit more complicated.
Felix

Post by Felix »

I can drive up to 7.5t.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Pirahna wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:30 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:24 pm I don't think they've been called HGVs for some time. From memory they're LGVs now.
LGV - Light Goods Vehicle. This is up to 3.5t maximum laden weight. This is the license everyone has regardless of when you passed your test.

HGV - Heavy Goods Vehicle. A bit more complicated.
I thought lorries over 3.5 tonnes were now Large Goods Vehicles (LGVs) and were formerly known as HGVs. And now those under 3.5t are Light Commercial Vehicles.

edit - I stand corrected. I think! I'm not an expert

Under the UK and European law, the LGV licence and HGV licence are the same licence. They cover all commercial trucks that feature a gross combination mass of over 3500kg which could include fridge trucks, box vans, Lutons, flat beds, tippers and ADR, drop sides, and much more.

Confusion often comes about from the incorrect use of the term LGV, as some people think it stands for Light Goods Vehicles to drive pickup trucks and vans, with a gross vehicle weight of under 3500kg. In fact you can drive up to 3500kg (3.5 tonnes) with your car driving licence – category ‘B’ entitlement.

So, if there is no difference between LGV and HGV

https://www.wallaceschool.co.uk/blog/wh ... v-training
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Felix wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 pm I can drive up to 7.5t.
On my Spanish licence I have C1 and C1E :)
Felix

Post by Felix »

Yorick wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:48 pm
Felix wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:34 pm I can drive up to 7.5t.
On my Spanish licence I have C1 and C1E :)
As i have on my UK one. Its the folk that passed after Jan 97 that are limited to 3.5t and cant tow but the tow rule is getting binned this year as far as i know.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I think it needs a line in the sand, regardless of what was said before Brexit, we're here, and the loudest voices seem to be agreeing that the UK is suffering because of the withdrawal of foreign labour.

If the government had put schemes in place to mitigate this, it would have been admitting that many Brexit voters were right all along, that they had failed to protect UK workers and the UK was indeed running on the back of cheaper foreign labour, encouraged, supported and protected by a proxy UK government sitting in Brussels.
So no plans were in place to support UK job seekers or young people looking to enter the job market, or support of certain vulnerable industries.

The Tory machine didn't want Brexit, they blindly ignored these issues, so why would they put mitigation plans in place for issues that they wouldn't admit even existed?

And Corbyn had been advocating Brexit for his whole political career, his limp wristed effort at an opposition to it was transparent and Brexit happened as a protest vote against both parties. Against the tories for being tories and against labour for abandoning them.

Parliament failed the UK public and blaming this mess on one political party just shows that you're trying exceptionally hard to ignore why it happened.
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Perhaps the government didn’t think cheap foreign labour was necessarily a bad thing? It is how the world has turned for many a century.
Yambo

Post by Yambo »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:38 am Perhaps the government didn’t think cheap foreign labour was necessarily a bad thing? It is how the world has turned for many a century.

Cotton would have been more expensive without it!
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Yambo wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:39 am
Cotton would have been more expensive without it!
And the pyramids would have been a lot smaller!
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

wheelnut wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:46 am And the pyramids would have been a lot smaller!
The pyramids were built by well paid Egyptians, no slaves required.

Talking of cheap foreign labour, there's a Facebook page for jobs in my local area, lots and lots of carers required. That's another area which is going to need to up it's pay rates.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:47 am I think it needs a line in the sand, regardless of what was said before Brexit, we're here, and the loudest voices seem to be agreeing that the UK is suffering because of the withdrawal of foreign labour.

If the government had put schemes in place to mitigate this, it would have been admitting that many Brexit voters were right all along, that they had failed to protect UK workers and the UK was indeed running on the back of cheaper foreign labour, encouraged, supported and protected by a proxy UK government sitting in Brussels.
So no plans were in place to support UK job seekers or young people looking to enter the job market, or support of certain vulnerable industries.

The Tory machine didn't want Brexit, they blindly ignored these issues, so why would they put mitigation plans in place for issues that they wouldn't admit even existed?

And Corbyn had been advocating Brexit for his whole political career, his limp wristed effort at an opposition to it was transparent and Brexit happened as a protest vote against both parties. Against the tories for being tories and against labour for abandoning them.

Parliament failed the UK public and blaming this mess on one political party just shows that you're trying exceptionally hard to ignore why it happened.
Nope, you can't blame the guests at your 'shit party' for objecting to the pile of shit you're about to serve them because they didn't try hard enough to stop your shit-based cuisine.

49% of the voting population thought this was a terrible idea, pointed out the terrible consequences and were told they were either fibbers or making a meal of it.

We can only deal with the here and now, which is what the brexit ostriches wanted all along I think, before they came up with a rationale that suited them anyway, blame the victims.

It turns out there is no brexit 'bus money'. Not a bean. Brexited away
It turns out the jobs available post brexit are actually great because your brexit-voting nan genuinely dreamed of your career slaughtering animals or shitting in a bag in the back of a truck in an M25 lay-by.
Hoonercat

Post by Hoonercat »

Potter wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:47 am I think it needs a line in the sand, regardless of what was said before Brexit, we're here, and the loudest voices seem to be agreeing that the UK is suffering because of the withdrawal of foreign labour.

PM Theresa May, Conservative Party Conference October 2016
I know a lot of people don't like to admit this - [for] someone who finds themselves out of work or on lower wages because of low-skilled immigration, life simply doesn't seem fair.
Boris, October 2021:
So what I won’t do is go back to the old, failed model of low wages, low skills supported by uncontrolled immigration
In the space of 5 years, two Tory PMs have spoken out about the issue of low pay and immigration. They have had plenty of time to prepare the UK for the effects of Brexit, while publicly recognising the issues.