PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
irie

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by irie »

Filled Mrs irie's car up at the local Tesco at 8.30 this morning. About 4 cars ahead of me, pretty much like normal on a Friday.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

the_priest wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:28 am I have to get to Canterbury next week from London. But have the bike on standby for that journey as parking is free and it is a quicker journey by bike than by car in terms of negotiating traffic. I have enough to get there. Same with the car. The return journey is the issue! I could siphon some from the car to make the bike journey there and back...
Just be aware that the 'miles left' counter on the K1200 can be very optimistic....
non quod, sed quomodo
the_priest

Post by the_priest »

I actually managed to fill the car today!! Miracle (or simply that tanker arrived last night and filled the petrol tanks up at the local station). Not too much of a queue as I know the side road the leads straight to the station and that saved me around 1 hour of queueing and I was able to get straight out to collect son for dentist, who then cancelled his appt as the dental tech had no fuel to get in to work!! Ah well. at least I have a full tank of fuel and can do the pastoral visits I need to do.
Proverbs 17:9
One who forgives an affront fosters friendship, but one who dwells on disputes will alienate a friend.
McNab

Post by McNab »

Yep, I got a full tank for the car today from Sainsburys. I had to queue for 10 minutes but the Sainsburys staff are doing a good job of keeping everyone organised, moving and the way clear for people who are just going to shop.

I got all dressed up for nothing:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

More anecdotal evidence that the problem continues...the local station that I got my £35 worth yesterday is closed again today, no petrol or diesel. It looks like I just dropped lucky yesterday.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
gremlin

Post by gremlin »

Still feck all in the local stations near me.

But...Boris says it's all good, so it must be my imagination that the pumps are all still taped up.
All aboard the Peckham Pigeon! All aboard!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

gremlin wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:33 pm Still feck all in the local stations near me.

But...Boris says it's all good, so it must be my imagination that the pumps are all still taped up.
As the cover of the current Private Eye says, Johnson's Panic Lying. :D
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

There was no petrol at my local station today.
But then it's often a bit like this in the sticks.
There was a queue though - 2 of us! Unheard of. ;)
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

More from the 'you couldn't make it up department':

If the gummint deploy the Royal Logistics Corps to solve the lack of goods vehicle drivers caused in part by low wages, their recruitment ads show a starting salary of £15,985 (during 6 months training) rising to £20,400 after training. At least it's probably not cheap foreign labour. :thumbup:

(Courtesy of Private Eye).
Voltaire
Horse

Post by Horse »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm There was no petrol at my local station today.
Why were you queuing if they had no fuel? Just keeping in practice? :)
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Druid

Post by Druid »

I called at Asda in Hartlepool on my way home from work, I was the only vehicle there. Diesel was 133.7/ltr and there was no limit so I filled it up as usual.

I'm off down south next week, hope you've sorted yourselves out by then
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Horse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 pm

Why were you queuing if they had no fuel? Just keeping in practice? :)
No signs up and I got the jump on the other guy in my mighty TT. It's that sorta place
Docca

Post by Docca »

Needed diesel. Went to five stations tonight ( Tesco, Sainsburys, 3 x BP). Two had unleaded.

17 miles of fuel left and I thought I’d check one more ( mainly to see if the electric car space was free).

One diesel pump left but it was the expensive one . Filled the car.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Docca wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 pm Needed diesel. Went to five stations tonight ( Tesco, Sainsburys, 3 x BP). Two had unleaded.

17 miles of fuel left and I thought I’d check one more ( mainly to see if the electric car space was free).

How far do you have to go to reach 5 stations? I think we've got 2 in a 5 mile radius! Any queues where they had juice? (Trip to Farnham planned on Sun but should have enough for 2-way journey).
Voltaire
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:32 pm There was no petrol at my local station today.
No fuel but you were still queuing. That's country bumpkins for you. :roll:

:P
Docca

Post by Docca »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:08 pm
Docca wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:59 pm Needed diesel. Went to five stations tonight ( Tesco, Sainsburys, 3 x BP). Two had unleaded.

How far do you have to go to reach 5 stations? I think we've got 2 in a 5 mile radius! Any queues where they had juice? (Trip to Farnham planned on Sun but should have enough for 2-way journey).
About 17 miles ( went as far as Hen and Chicken on way to Alton). No queues for the totally empty ones, the ones with just unleaded ( Tesco and a BP on the bypass ) had large queues.

Station with diesel and unleaded? Shell at top of folly hill
Felix

Post by Felix »

Our Tesco ran out of Diesel today :( still i have almost a full van and 2nd van has a good 200 mile worth. Im sure ill cope till the big soldier arrives :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

The army are coming in because there is plenty of fuel, but not enough bandwidth in the logistics to get back on track after the panic buying.
It seems most evident in the south. Anecdotally most of my family are north of Brum and no issues, other than the odd queue longer than usual.

It hasn't stopped my racist BIL claiming a victory for Brexit, proving that the UK was propped up by foreign workers and now it's coming home to roost. It hasn't stopped my dad claiming a victory for Remain, proving that the UK was propped up by foreign workers and now it's coming home to roost.

It's the little things I enjoy.
Horse

Post by Horse »

The same cannot be said of thousands of German citizens in the UK who, the Independent reports, are bemused to have received invitations from the Department for Transport to take up work as lorry drivers.

The confusion has arisen because some German driving licences theoretically allow people to drive medium-sized trucks - although, in reality, most have no experience whatsoever of lorry driving.

One man contacted by the department tells the paper: "I'm sure pay and conditions for HGV drivers have improved, but ultimately I have decided to carry on in my role at an investment bank."

His wife has also declined the "exciting opportunity", he says, as "she's never driven anything larger than a Volvo".
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

Potter wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 4:29 am The army are coming in because there is plenty of fuel, but not enough bandwidth in the logistics to get back on track after the panic buying.
It seems most evident in the south. Anecdotally most of my family are north of Brum and no issues, other than the odd queue longer than usual.
Yep, pretty much back to normal locally, no queues or closed pumps.