PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by weeksy »

Potter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:19 pm
slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm
People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
Stop it.
Demand increased by at least 5x, more in some places. Five times as many cars didn't suddenly get registered, people are stocking up in a panic.
It's called panic buying.

Why is the garage allowing that? Max is 20l in a dedicated correct material can?
Potter

Post by Potter »

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:06 pm
Why is the garage allowing that? Max is 20l in a dedicated correct material can?
That many people were doing it I don't think they can police it all or keep an eye on everyone.
It's usually some poor lady or bloke on minimum wage on their own faced with a load of panic buyers, probably wise to take the money and let them have at it.
MingtheMerciless

Post by MingtheMerciless »

People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
Stop it.
Demand increased by at least 5x, more in some places. Five times as many cars didn't suddenly get registered, people are stocking up in a panic.

That is highly illegal and the *unt should be prosecuted, I think even the proper sized jerry cans are illegal now.

yup just checked, max you can store at home is 30l, max size jerry can allowed is 10l (you can have two) and 5l plastic can x 2.
"Of all the stories you told me, which ones were true and which ones weren't?"
"My dear Doctor, they're all true."
"Even the lies?"
"Especially the lies."
Potter

Post by Potter »

MingtheMerciless wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:14 pm
That is highly illegal and the *unt should be prosecuted, I think even the proper sized jerry cans are illegal now.

yup just checked, max you can store at home is 30l, max size jerry can allowed is 10l (you can have two) and 5l plastic can x 2.
He was doing it though and social media will show you plenty more, it was chaos.
It was panic buying, plain and simple, it was not Mrs Miggins filling up a day early and Boris failing to have a plan for her whilst he was eating roast swans.
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 pm
Stop it.

Oh do fuck off. My tank takes more than 60 litre. Where are people storing 300 litres of fuel? You'd expect reports of panic buying jerricans at the very least.
I don't know about the where, but the cab driver who took me to the hospital this morning was very pleased to have managed to get hold of 300litres of "off-forecourt" fuel yesterday so he could keep working.
He also was apparently refusing Gatwick jobs because he didn't want to be stuck in the countryside with no fuel.
non quod, sed quomodo
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Is there really a 20l limit? Well I never...

When I was a teenager I used to help my dad fill the boat up with petrol all the time. It was way cheaper to buy it from road garages rather than the marina. We'd take 2 or 3 25l Jerry cans and fill em up on the way to the marina. We'd probably only 'store' it for half an hour at most, literally the time it took to drive there and get it in the boat....but still, I had no idea that would be illegal now.
Last edited by Mr. Dazzle on Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

No one listens to the rulz.

I used to put £1.00 in my Melody (and brim it from empty) when minimum service amount was £1.50 (I think it's £5 now)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Rockburner wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:26 pm
I don't know about the where, but the cab driver who took me to the hospital this morning was very pleased to have managed to get hold of 300litres of "off-forecourt" fuel yesterday so he could keep working.
Collected in jerry cans and sold it on the black market.
That's just one lot of 300L, the there is matey in the picture with another 100L and I bet that wasn't his first trip either.

Yeah but it's Boris for not having a plan, or is this thread blaming Brexit, I'm lost with it all.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 pm

Stop it.

Oh do fuck off. My tank takes more than 60 litre. Where are people storing 300 litres of fuel? You'd expect reports of panic buying jerricans at the very least.
He also was apparently refusing Gatwick jobs because he didn't want to be stuck in the countryside with no fuel.
So that's one. Potter's fella with 150 litres. Most drivers will have filled up a tank. Hard to see where 4-5 fold increase comes from. Maybe its all the fault of the lefties.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Don't most pumps conk out at £100 anyway?

Takes a proper brass pair to fill up to £100, go and pay and then do it again :D
Zimbo

Post by Zimbo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:31 pm Is there really a 20l limit? Well I never...

When I was a teenager I used to help my dad fill the boat up with petrol all the time. It was way cheaper to buy it from road garages rather than the marina. We'd take 2 or 3 25l Jerry cans and fill em up on the way to the marina. We'd probably only 'store' it for half an hour at most, literally the time it took to drive there and get it in the boat....but still, I had no idea that would be illegal now.
I still do that now, usually just 20l at a time as the boat doesn't use that much but I've never yet been challenged when filling it. Mate has a boat with a 7.4l V8 (the old cast iron 427 cu inch Chevvy ) that drinks petrol as fast as you can pour it in, he fills 6 jerry cans at a time when he goes out for the weekend. He hasn't ever been challenged filling them either. He's not trying it this week though :D
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

No longer legal? Bugger.
Looks like the two empty jerrycans that have been in the shed for yonks will be converted into toolboxes or barbeques then.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:30 am Well, if Grant Shapps says people are panic buying it must be the truth eh? Yup, this Grant Shapps-

In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear ... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."

However, in March 2015, Shapps admitted to having had a second job whilst being an MP. In his admission, he stated that he had "over-firmly denied" having a second job.
Quoted today on the BBC.
Mr Shapps said: "We won't accept anything less ... than ... transparency with taxpayers.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Diesel by any chance? The agri-business still gets red diesel and there's a steady business taking the dye out I believe. Chances of getting caught even if you leave the dye in are probably pretty slim.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Horse wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:08 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:30 am Well, if Grant Shapps says people are panic buying it must be the truth eh? Yup, this Grant Shapps-

In February 2015 he told LBC Radio presenter Shelagh Fogarty, "Let me get this absolutely clear ... I don't have a second job and have never had a second job while being an MP. End of story."

However, in March 2015, Shapps admitted to having had a second job whilst being an MP. In his admission, he stated that he had "over-firmly denied" having a second job.
Quoted today on the BBC.
Mr Shapps said: "We won't accept anything less ... than ... transparency with taxpayers.
Arf. Love the 'over-firmly denied' though. If you put that in google translate it should say 'lied through my teeth'.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:13 pm
Diesel by any chance? The agri-business still gets red diesel and there's a steady business taking the dye out I believe. Chances of getting caught even if you leave the dye in are probably pretty slim.
Probably.
non quod, sed quomodo
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Seriously who has more than a couple of 5L get-you-home jerry cans in the shed? I only have two because someone gave me one that I liked because it was a nice one marked in US gallons. The other ones I accumulated over the years (because like a twat when I actually -need- one it's miles away, so I buy another) I binned.

Some people just trawl social media waiting for picture evidence they can get riled about.
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I have 2 metal 20L for trackdays.

They're both empty
irie

Post by irie »

weeksy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:19 pm I have 2 metal 20L for trackdays.

They're both empty
Ditto.

One for race fuel and the other for fuel for the generator for tyre warmers.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

That's two then. ;)

99% of folk have sweet fa capacity for storing additional fuel. I'd wager most are too scared to even keep a few litres in the shed for fear it'll explode and nuke the family.

These people with dozens of massive storage tanks are just wankers. Few and far between luckily but not great examples of why this is a problem. It's because the masses are frit.