PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Supermofo

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by Supermofo »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:40 pm
Nidge wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 am I have to say the phrase “panic buying” is starting to grate. It’s a narrative designed to deflect the blame from supply chain management and government and point the finger at customers. Filling up with fuel is not panicking it’s simply an essential purchase for most
You don't normally see forecourts sucked dry almost overnight by a 5 fold increase in demand though.

People see something that might happen and then take sudden irrational action through anxiety. That's pretty much the definition of panic no?
Yeah I'd say what we are seeing is largely the result of panic buying.

There is an underlying supply chain issue which would see the odd forecourt run out but under normal demand unlikely to be a huge issue. But increase demand 5 fold and we run out. Simples.

Rather like the toilet roll/pasta farce in lockdown 1, there wasn't a bog roll/pasta shortage it was people buying many times what they normally would cos they were panicking that it was the end of the world.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:16 pm
Nidge wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:10 am I have to say the phrase “panic buying” is starting to grate. It’s a narrative designed to deflect the blame from supply chain management and government and point the finger at customers. Filling up with fuel is not panicking it’s simply an essential purchase for most
Supply chain management is always a balance, and when something upsets that balance shortages happen. People are buying fuel in amounts that they normally wouldn't buy.
People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:50 pm
You don't normally see forecourts sucked dry almost overnight by a 5 fold increase in demand though.

People see something that might happen and then take sudden irrational action through anxiety. That's pretty much the definition of panic no?

There is an underlying supply chain issue which would see the odd forecourt run out but under normal demand unlikely to be a huge issue. But increase demand 5 fold and we run out. Simples.

Rather like the toilet roll/pasta farce in lockdown 1, there wasn't a bog roll/pasta shortage it was people buying many times what they normally would cos they were panicking that it was the end of the world.
Where are they storing all this hoarded fuel? Under the stairs, where the toilet roll was ?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I saw something that was happening and didn't take action. :thumbup:

Now I'm stuck at home with no petrol. :thumbdown:

Maybe I should have 'calmly' bought and lived with the 'panic' label?
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
wheelnut

Post by wheelnut »

slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
Yep, and when you scale that up the queues are huge and the pumps are dry.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:28 pm Maybe I should have 'calmly' bought and lived with the 'panic' label?
Well this is the contradiction inherent in society innit?

If everyone does what only benefits themselves directly everyone loses.
Horse

Post by Horse »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:49 pm
Count Steer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:28 pm Maybe I should have 'calmly' bought and lived with the 'panic' label?
Well this is the contradiction inherent in society innit?

If everyone does what only benefits themselves directly everyone loses.
Good point. Without ripping people off and making a fortune, you can't become a benevolent philanthropist.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

And if everyone goes out to by fuel for themselves when they don't need it (or even if they do need it), no-one can get fuel tomorrow.
McNab

Post by McNab »

People joining the queue because they've seen the queue but don't really need fuel. People queuing to squeeze less than £2 worth into their tank. People buying water bottles, tipping the water away and filling it up with petrol. That's panic buying to me.

I want to panic buy, but I'm not hanging round in queues. I'll wait until the queues stop and then I'll panic. :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

wheelnut wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:45 pm
slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
Yep, and when you scale that up the queues are huge and the pumps are dry.
But that's not quite
buying fuel in amounts that they normally wouldn't buy.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Mr. Dazzle wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:11 pm And if everyone goes out to by fuel for themselves when they don't need it (or even if they do need it), no-one can get fuel tomorrow.
8-)

They won't need it tomorrow
millemille

Post by millemille »

I am elated to report that I am now the proud of owner of thirty pound's worth of diesel, courtesy of the petrol station in the town where the man comes and drives the pump for you.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Popped into Asda (Leicester) today, mild que of a dozen cars, but oddly all for the pleb pumps, so I drove past them up to one of the 6 empty pay at the pump pumps and dumped the max £30 quids worth of diesel I was allowed and off fucked within 3 minutes.

Daughter popped into local place on way home from uni, limited to 20 quid but no bother getting in to fill up.

Wife has filled up somewhere in Wales again today with no bother.

S'all a wee storm in a teacup, and I'm all right Jack.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

One of the petrol stations near me has fuel currently. They've employed a crone to shout at people as they arrive.
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm
People are filling up half empty tanks, buying the same amount a few days sooner than they would otherwise . They haven't brought bowsers with them.
Stop it.
Demand increased by at least 5x, more in some places. Five times as many cars didn't suddenly get registered, people are stocking up in a panic.
It's called panic buying.

irie

Post by irie »

Supermofo wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:50 pm

Seems that this latest stock-out was caused by BP briefing Rod McKenzie of the RHA about the private meetings it has had with HMG. In the full knowledge of course that Rod McKenzie (lately a BBC journeyman who edited BBC Newsbeat*) could be relied upon to brief the media about BP's meetings with HMG.

* https://www.independent.co.uk/news/medi ... 78443.html
2014 wrote: ‘Newsbeat’ chief Rod McKenzie moved after complaints of bullying from over 30 BBC staff

The allegations against Mr McKenzie are spread over two decades

The BBC has moved one of its senior news executives from his job in charge of Newsbeat, the broadcaster’s youth news service, following complaints from more than 30 members of staff over his alleged bullying management style, The Independent has learnt.
Plausible deniability for BP of course.
Last edited by irie on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:19 pm
slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:16 pm
Stop it.
Demand increased by at least 5x, more in some places. Five times as many cars didn't suddenly get registered, people are stocking up in a panic.
It's called panic buying.

Oh do fuck off. My tank takes more than 60 litre. Where are people storing 300 litres of fuel? You'd expect reports of panic buying jerricans at the very least.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:44 pm
Oh do fuck off. My tank takes more than 60 litre. Where are people storing 300 litres of fuel? You'd expect reports of panic buying jerricans at the very least.
Is that bloke not filling up four 25l drums? PLus his car tank.
On my social media there were pictures of people filling up multiple jerry cans and even some dickhead filling up plastic bowls.
I heard of people filling plastic bags but I didn't see the pictures, I just googled and they're there too, but I don't know for sure they're from this panic buying episode.

Either way, demand went up by a factor of 4-5 and even more in some areas, read the news.
Last edited by Potter on Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

How often does a garage get a tanker delivery? Once a week? Once ever couple of days?

If you're usually getting deliveries once a week and all your fuel sells in one day you're gonna struggle!
Potter

Post by Potter »

In other news, people weren't panic buying bog roll, they were just having a shit half an hour earlier than they usually did.