Current affairs, Politics, News.
KungFooBob

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by KungFooBob »

The box said burgundy :)
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

"Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters."

52%?? You'd have to wonder about the coincidence :think:
Docca

Post by Docca »

Bedale is a dump. Not sure I’d want a shoe named after it.

Yesterday I shopped local. Wife and I discovered a tailors that has been around since forever. Winding shop over multiple floors, all wooden cabinets you open and get caps/blazers whatever from. Proper gentleman’s dress shop. Lovely, traditional English tailoring.

Nice treat. I spent my NHS payrise in there- thanks for all your tax 😀
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 am "Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters."

Two thirds of moaning bastards that read the Guardian are not happy with Boris's government.

You should go on Mastermind, chosen subject, stating the bleedin obvious* :lol:

*copyright Basil Faulty
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:06 pm
slowsider wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 11:47 am "Two thirds (67%) of voters believe the government has handled the crisis badly, according to a new Opinium poll for the Observer. Even a majority of Conservative voters (59%) thought that the government had responded badly. The majority (68%) said Brexit was partly to blame, including 88% of Remain voters and 52% of Leave voters."

Two thirds of moaning bastards that read the Guardian are not happy with Boris's government.

You should go on Mastermind, chosen subject, stating the bleedin obvious* :lol:

*copyright Basil Faulty
Whoosh.
52% was the Leave vote figure all those years ago.

And your spillchucker appears to be Fawlty.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am Do Loakes do practical shoes at all?
By that I mean ones whereby you actually have to do something, rather than just walk from the landie to the ghillie to take a pot shot at a stag.
The rubber soled ones are reasonably practical.
Actually, they're pretty good value for a pair of properly made shoes. I don't know if the quality is the same since they went a bit 'High Street' but they used to do a range of fits and had the number of the last in so you could get the right fit with each pair etc. Grenson were similar but they seem to have gone up in price. Charlie Churches are still 'reassuringly expensive' but some of the current stuff looks a bit 'fashiony' :o

LOL. My shoes were the one thing I couldn't bear to take to the charity shop when I quit the day job. They'll probably bury me with 'em. :lol:
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Went to Kop Hill in the only vehicle I have with fuel, the curtesy car. I was leaving it with what it arrived with but needs must. Passed a good 15 fuel stations with no fuel, got home with the fuel light on and 45 miles range showing. Just before home noticed the local petrol station had fuel so given I need to take my son to a hospital appointment in Epping on Wed I got home and took the wife's car (fuel light on) to join the queue. Took about 15 mins but now can make the hospital appointment and have enough fuel for a week or so. Not gonna bother leaving the village unless I need to until people stop being dicks.

Worse part of the queue was people beeping their horns for 30 secs at a time like that was helping??

Still can't believe the utter mess we've ended up in purely down to people's selfishness. If everyone had carried on as normal we'd have seen the odd station shut at times but easily been able to get some elsewhere. What a shit show
David

Post by David »

Isn't there a restriction on how much fuel you can store?
I do have about 10 litres of petrol in cans ( but two diesel cars) .
There again i do have 1500 litres of kerosene.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

Is it over yet, can I get some petrol without having to queue, I don't like queues.
Honda Owner
Supermofo

Post by Supermofo »

Le_Fromage_Grande wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 pm Is it over yet, can I get some petrol without having to queue, I don't like queues.
I reckon we'll have queues all week as most stations are out now so those that are open will be really busy as the people who didn't join the initial bun fight are now low on fuel and have to queue to get it.

I didn't do over 60 on the way to Kop Hill and didn't go over 50 except on the M25 on the way back and I was still overtaking cars on dual carriageways. I've never seen so many slowly driven cars
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

David wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 pm Isn't there a restriction on how much fuel you can store?
During one of the previous carmageddon fuel-strike/fuel-shortage my neighbour decided to fill big drums with petrol 'just in case'. When it was over, he was left with gallons of leaded petrol that he now didn't fancy putting in his fancy car. Gave it all to me.
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

So what's the protocol if there's a queue and you're on the bike?
Do you sit patiently behind the cars or ride to the front?

About 20 years ago in last fuel shortage, I tried to ride past the queues to nip in and just buy fags.
2 dickheads stopped me and got all shitty. I said I was just going into the shop and barged past them.
Saga Lout

Post by Saga Lout »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 am<snip>

I also have an issue with consumers that just don't give a shit, they want cheap and they don't care how they get it or who suffers.
Consumers can make responsible choices about what they buy, but very few of us do, most just buy at the best price they can and don't care how those cuts were made. E.g. I guarantee that you own shoes made in a shithole by poorly paid staff, but few of you will spend the money to ensure that they were made in the UK by properly paid craftsmen.

<snip>
The one proven way to make the poor people of the world richer, to drag them out of abject poverty, is to buy the stuff they make. If we don't buy the shoes/t-shirts etc. made in shitholes by poorly paid staff those poorly paid staff will have to go back to what they were doing before they got the opportunity to work in the poorly paid shithole job.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Saga Lout wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:34 am
Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 am<snip>

I also have an issue with consumers that just don't give a shit, they want cheap and they don't care how they get it or who suffers.
Consumers can make responsible choices about what they buy, but very few of us do, most just buy at the best price they can and don't care how those cuts were made. E.g. I guarantee that you own shoes made in a shithole by poorly paid staff, but few of you will spend the money to ensure that they were made in the UK by properly paid craftsmen.

<snip>
The one proven way to make the poor people of the world richer, to drag them out of abject poverty, is to buy the stuff they make. If we don't buy the shoes/t-shirts etc. made in shitholes by poorly paid staff those poorly paid staff will have to go back to what they were doing before they got the opportunity to work in the poorly paid shithole job.
Couldn't they drive trucks?
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

This morning I rode to Romford, then into East London and onto Central London, passing many garages on the way. 2 BP garages were shut but all the others were open with relatively short queues compared to the weekends.
irie

Post by irie »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm This morning I rode to Romford, then into East London and onto Central London, passing many garages on the way. 2 BP garages were shut but all the others were open with relatively short queues compared to the weekends.
Now we know where the fuel supplies are going, you tossers in Central London and to the East are hogging it all! :flame:

Maybe.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Taipan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:23 pm This morning I rode to Romford, then into East London and onto Central London, passing many garages on the way. 2 BP garages were shut but all the others were open with relatively short queues compared to the weekends.
The only petrol station nearby is showing on Google maps as 'less busy than usual'.

So they probably still have no fuel. :(
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

I’ve just been into Shittingbourne to collect the floppy eared twats worm and flea tabs and all 4 stations on the way were out.
Just siphoned the last of the BMWs fuel out to put in the Tenere as that will do 70mpg going easy.

The car is showing 70 mile range left,enough to get us to the dentists and 1 round trip to work next week.

Had planned my week off mostly out riding but it looks like that’s scuppered, looks like DIY time :thumbdown:
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

Tesco seemed to have a delivery of fuel, they were out at the weekend of both petrol and diesel, however, all seemed well.

I needed food, not fuel, so wasnt an issue for me.
Felix

Post by Felix »

Was at Tesco for Bread a couple of hours ago. Two cars in there garage and no great drama like the other day when it was all the OAP's filling up. Went through to Greenock on Saturday and almost every garage i passed was full with a large queue out into the streets. So glad i left city life and never to return.