PANIC BUY!

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Potter

Re: PANIC BUY!

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 am
The CEO of Engie is going to be a bit surprised that her best mate thinks she's a bloke and is running an executive recruitment agency. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I said a CEO, not the CEO.
The last the CEO was lovely, but I've never met the new one.

Edited...apparently they don't call them CEOs now, they call them Executive Vice Presidents.
Edited twice - I was obviously being sarcastic, he's not actually going to appoint some divvy from the internet who thinks he knows what he's talking about but isn't capable of reaching any position where he could actually do it.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:12 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:50 am
The CEO of Engie is going to be a bit surprised that her best mate thinks she's a bloke and is running an executive recruitment agency. :lol: :lol: :lol:
I said a CEO, not the CEO.
So you did. I was a little distracted as my motorcycle riding, nurse nephew was a little distraught after reading on the Internet that he had to buy hand-crafted, English shoes and he'd just seen the price of Charlie Churches. He thinks they're a bit pricey for the average essential worker. (He doesn't fancy being a CEO).
I told him not to worry and not to believe everything he reads on the Internet.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:55 am
So you did. I was a little distracted as my motorcycle riding, nurse nephew was a little distraught after reading on the Internet that he had to buy hand-crafted, English shoes and he'd just seen the price of Charlie Churches. He thinks they're a bit pricey for the average essential worker. (He doesn't fancy being a CEO).
I told him not to worry and not to believe everything he reads on the Internet.
Nah he doesn't have to, he can carry on buying them from people who have them made by 10yr olds in sweatshops that might collapse at any minute, in addition he can carry on being a nurse and sticking to what he's good at - but if that's his contribution then be a good chap and suggest that he doesn't delude himself that he can speak with authority about poor UK wages, foreign trade, governments, offshore manufacturing, how to plan strategically, senior leadership and management, and other stuff that he thinks he knows about but actually knows zip.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:19 am
...be a good chap and suggest that he doesn't delude himself that he can speak with authority about poor UK wages, foreign trade, governments, offshore manufacturing, how to plan strategically, senior leadership and management, and other stuff that he thinks he knows about but actually knows zip.
He says 'There's enough :angry-cussingblack: posting :angry-cussingblack: on motorcycle forums without me doing it as well'. Smart lad. :thumbup:
Voltaire
Potter

Post by Potter »

Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am
He says 'There's enough :angry-cussingblack: posting :angry-cussingblack: on motorcycle forums without me doing it as well'. Smart lad. :thumbup:
Good man, you should get him a decent pair of shoes for Christmas, poor chap.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 am E.g. I guarantee that you own shoes made in a shithole by poorly paid staff, but few of you will spend the money to ensure that they were made in the UK by properly paid craftsmen.
yeah, school kids should all be wearing Loakes.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:05 am
What is it that you want? Decent wages for UK craftsmen, or cheap Taiwanese shoes?
Decent wages for UK lorry drivers or cheap foreign drivers?
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:06 am
What is it that you want? Decent wages for UK craftsmen, or cheap Taiwanese shoes?
Decent wages for UK lorry drivers or cheap foreign drivers?
When do we want it?
NOW!.

Bit wordy, but the mob needs something to chant.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 am
When do we want it?
NOW!.

Thank goodness for that, I was worried you might be formulating a response based on fundamental economics, but instead we're taking the shop floor/building site approach of shouting at Boris to put magic money into peoples pockets :thumbup:
cheb

Post by cheb »

How about the concept that we have one pair of good shoes and not multiple pairs of cheap ones?
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:58 am
Count Steer wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:48 am
Good man, you should get him a decent pair of shoes for Christmas, poor chap.
I might, if he stops :angry-cussingblack: ing about his Alpinestar boots being made in China. Fortunately the Doc Martens that appear to be grafted on to his feet were made in Northampton. :thumbup:
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:15 am
slowsider wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:11 am
When do we want it?
NOW!.

Thank goodness for that, I was worried you might be formulating a response based on fundamental economics, but instead we're taking the shop floor/building site approach of shouting at Boris to put magic money into peoples pockets :thumbup:
You've already noted that fundamental economics is sitting by and watching the chaos.
If the 'leadership' adopt populist policies, shouting louder is the way to draw attention.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

cheb wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:19 am How about the concept that we have one pair of good shoes and not multiple pairs of cheap ones?
Cobblers.
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:02 am E.g. I guarantee that you own shoes made in a shithole by poorly paid staff, but few of you will spend the money to ensure that they were made in the UK by properly paid craftsmen.
Clarks Wayfinders with an animal paw print sole and a compass in the heel. :thumbup:
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Do Loakes do practical shoes at all?
By that I mean ones whereby you actually have to do something, rather than just walk from the landie to the ghillie to take a pot shot at a stag.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am Do Loakes do practical shoes at all?
By that I mean ones whereby you actually have to do something, rather than just walk from the landie to the ghillie to take a pot shot at a stag.
I've got nothing to defend here, but they're pretty decent.
I wear them with my suit, with jeans as casual wear, and if needed they'd make passable hiking boots.

I didn't know this when I bought my first pair of Bedale, but I was genuinely surprised at how good they are at being comfortable and suitable for pretty much anything. I bought my first pair in London years ago and the next day I put them on to walk from the river to Chalk Farm and back to break them in - thy didn't need it, they were spot on from the moment I put them on. I have four pairs of Loake boots because I like to change colour but you only really need one pair, forever.
https://www.loake.com/product/bedale-tan/
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

DefTrap wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:23 am Do Loakes do practical shoes at all?
Mine are my 'smart' shoes: work, interviews, funerals. I wore something else when I went shooting, but that was at clays, so no yomping across the moors. I certainly wouldn't set out in Loakes if I knew I was going off-road.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:34 am I bought my first pair in London years ago and the next day I put them on to walk from the river to Chalk Farm and back to break them in - thy didn't need it, they were spot on from the moment I put them on. I have four pairs of Loake boots because I like to change colour but you only really need one pair, forever.
https://www.loake.com/product/bedale-tan/
Good Lord, man, surely you didn't wear brown in town!
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I wore a pair of loakes to the pub yesterday.

This pair are on their 2nd soles. They're a death trap in the wet.

They're burgundy :)
Potter

Post by Potter »

KungFooBob wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:54 am I wore a pair of loakes to the pub yesterday.

This pair are on their 2nd soles. They're a death trap in the wet.

They're burgundy :)
Oxblood.