Bikes are more than plastic and metal

Anything you like about motorbikes
Docca

Bikes are more than plastic and metal

Post by Docca »

Well, to me anyway. I guess I’ve always preferred ‘different’; I can’t stand the whine of IL4s and don’t really care much for bikes without ‘character’.

There is something special about the bond you end up forging with a bike. It takes you places but it also gifts you memories, perhaps more so than a car because you might find yourself more purposefully going out for ‘pleasure’ than anything else.

Today my Buell left home. Fair enough I hadn’t ridden it for years and it had its challenges, but it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden and I will miss it immensely. I feel sad :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Re: Bikes are more than plastic and metal

Post by weeksy »

Nope, not in the slightest.

I enjoy bikes but only so much emotional attachmentas I enjoy any other object I own.

Sometimes I regret a sale, but if it's that right, I'd just buy another.
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's definitely a one sided bond :D

For the most part they're just metal and plastic to me, hardly surprising given the nature of my job. The only exceptions being my Speed Triple and my FiL's Bonneville. They're both bikes that have been in teh family for decades, so they mean something. I don't think it's so much the bikes themselves, it's just the fact they've been around for a long time.
Trinity765

Post by Trinity765 »

I like all bikes that are well maintained. Small ones, big ones, two, three, four cylinders - so long as they go and stop when I want. I trade old bikes in for new ones so I'm normally too excited about the new one to miss the new one.

The only bike I've missed is the CB1000r. I traded it and a Street Triple R in for my new Street Triple RS because it needed improved front suspension. It would have been an easy fix and now I wish I'd kept it as it was handy for longer runs (like Spain) despite doing little over 100 miles per tank. I don't like the new version but there are plenty of the old versions about for a reasonable cost so I may get one one day. A friend turned up on one a few weeks ago, black and gold with all the trimmings - I have to admit, I was a little jealous.
Lockdown refugee
KungFooBob

Post by KungFooBob »

I think I like my Bullet the most. It doesn't do anything well.
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

I get more out of bikes I put more into. Buy a perfect bike and just ride it and its soulless to me. Buy a bike and work on it and you invest yourself into the bike and it becomes more attached!
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Objects themselves aren't necessarily going to be something that a person would logically form an emotional bond with.

But objects that inspired the generation of great memories and experiences, will then inspire the recollection of those memories and thus the emotional bond is formed with the object being the 'middleman' or 'proxy'.

To analysis it in such a way though is a very cold-hearted thing, better to just accept that we will form emotional bonds with certain inanimate objects, without wondering too much why it is.
non quod, sed quomodo
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Docca wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:51 am Well, to me anyway. I guess I’ve always preferred ‘different’; I can’t stand the whine of IL4s and don’t really care much for bikes without ‘character’.

There is something special about the bond you end up forging with a bike. It takes you places but it also gifts you memories, perhaps more so than a car because you might find yourself more purposefully going out for ‘pleasure’ than anything else.

Today my Buell left home. Fair enough I hadn’t ridden it for years and it had its challenges, but it’s the best bike I’ve ever ridden and I will miss it immensely. I feel sad :(
I have to ask, why did you get rid then?
weeksy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:57 am Nope, not in the slightest.

I enjoy bikes but only so much emotional attachmentas I enjoy any other object I own.

Sometimes I regret a sale, but if it's that right, I'd just buy another.
That's sort of my feeling too- yes, there are bikes I've had and sold that sometimes I wish I still had, but I can't say I miss any of them if I'm being completely honest- they really are just plastic and metal, no matter how much of my time I've put into them, or whatever experiences they've given me, and as such don't figure in the real top end of my emotional attachments
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

All just lumps of metal and plastic
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

I've sold bikes that I hoped had gone to a good home and some that I never thought about again or was glad to see the back of. All or most of them had similar memories of trips, times and places so there must be something about the ones I actually cared about rather than the other things associated with them. It's irrational, I know I could buy another of the same type, but there's one particular bike I want back. (He's called Rommel and is big and yellow :( ).
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

In my heart I am strongly attached. I keep them a long time as a rule, without exception I do all the fettling and servicing.

In my head I am dead-inside. I've honestly not given any of them more than a backwards glance - normally there's a "new" one in the wings isn't there?
I actually had to stop and think whether I had ever really considered "what happened to them?"
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

I have refused to sell bikes to a few people from here on the grounds they won't love them enough :)
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

weeksy wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:49 pm I have refused to sell bikes to a few people from here on the grounds they won't love them enough :)
I don't want an XSR900
Honda Owner
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Having said all that, there's nothing much sadder than a bike sat, gathering rust and not getting used. I even don't like to see them (or cars) in museums knowing that they'll never get fired up never mind used again as they were intended. It seems a real waste.
Hopefully Docca's Buell is going to get primped and polished and ridden again and make someone else grin.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Rockburner

Post by Rockburner »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 pm Having said all that, there's nothing much sadder than a bike sat, gathering rust and not getting used. I even don't like to see them (or cars) in museums knowing that they'll never get fired up never mind used again as they were intended. It seems a real waste.
Hopefully Docca's Buell is going to get primped and polished and ridden again and make someone else grin.
Agree totally.
non quod, sed quomodo
Taipan

Post by Taipan »

Docca, did you ever get the Buell running right? WOndered what was wrong with it if you did?
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I'm with Docca. I have 'gelled' with (fallen in love with) a couple of bikes. Still devastated that the TLs wasn't repairable!!

But then, I haven't had many bikes and the ones I have had generally were either a bit different or, apparently, unusual for a girl to be riding!! LOL
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde:
Docca

Post by Docca »

Count Steer wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 4:01 pm Having said all that, there's nothing much sadder than a bike sat, gathering rust and not getting used. I even don't like to see them (or cars) in museums knowing that they'll never get fired up never mind used again as they were intended. It seems a real waste.

I also agree with this.
cheb

Post by cheb »

Nope, just assemblies of various materials, and that's even after I've spent much time modifying them. There's nothing I own that I wouldn't sell for the right price.

I'm no more emotional about pets, look after them and treat them well, but at the end it's only a cat and there's not exactly a shortage of them.
Skub

Post by Skub »

I do get attached to my bikes in some ways and have been saddened a little to see some go. Having said that,I've never again bought any of the same bikes I've sold.
The timescale will vary from person to person,but when something else catches my eye,the old bike is gone.

I've never owned an bike that I could look back on and say it was the best bike I've ever ridden,everything new is better by default,otherwise I'd have kept or rebought the one which was the best ever. Best ever in it's day,perhaps.
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955