3D Printing

Discussions and updates on your new bike, your new build, your wishes, wants and desires
Couchy

3D Printing

Post by Couchy »

Having read lots on here about a few who have and use the 3D printers I thought it was time to jump in and get one !

I have no design knowledge, no CAD knowledge but I did run a small sign writing business as a side line..this isn't really a help I'm finding
I read El gringo's thread and bought the same printer he is using https://www.box.co.uk/Creality-Ender-3- ... 24683.html

I messaged Mr Gringo and got the low down on software, 3D design is done in skecthup and exported to CURA for conversion to a 3D printer file.

So with machine ordered and software downloaded I opened a file the ever helpful El had sent and thought I'll go to work......a few minutes of staring at the screen told me all I need to know I haven't a clue with design software so I looked for tutorials and came across these

https://www.youtube.com/user/SketchUpEs ... jreload=10

Very very helpful and an hour later I'd learnt the very basics. Enough to draw this,

Imagecup1 by Tony H, on Flickr

It may not look like much but it's better than where I was an hour ago. The next step is to take it from sketchup to CURA and make it a file the printer will understand. The printer gets delivered tomorrow so hopefully I can have something running by the end of the day.

Be great if anyone doing this properly can join in and give any advice or tips :)
crust

Re: 3D Printing

Post by crust »

We've got a few 3D printers at work from biggish ones to table tops - based on my limited experience (they're in another factory but they print stuff for me).

Make a box for it to go in, preferably a transparent one (because you will want to see how its progressing). Filament printers are susceptible to changes in temperature or draughts.

Learn patience these things take ages.

Investigate printing supports, your cup handle won't work as you're trying to print on fresh air not on a base. You need either a sacrificial support or to put a block on the bed for it to print onto or make the handle at the same level as the bottom of the mug.

The head is going to squirt a string of molten plastic out of the nozzle, if its not got something to land on and solidify its just going to dribble downwards.

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it, download loads of stuff from thingyverse. BTW 3D printers are like bikes, there's always better ones coming out and the one you've got is never big enough.

Top work on getting to grips with Sketch up so quickly :thumbup:
Couchy

Post by Couchy »

Cheers crust, fair point about the handle hadn’t thought of that lol. I’ll redraw the cub as a beaker with no handle !. Tbh I’ve got a load of brackets I want to make and fit then I’ll get them remade in metal so it’ll be ideal for that 😁
rev667

Post by rev667 »

I have a pair of 3D printers.
Very handy little things, oh I need A go-pro mount, no problem, just print one. Same for quadlock mount. Spacers, brackets, mirror mount blanks, logo on a plate, keyfobs. Anything 220x220x240 volume.

For modelling I use Freecad.

You can 3D print another printer, most of the plastic in this pic was printed.

Paranoia, a hobby not a lifestyle.
Horse

Post by Horse »

crust wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:40 pm Learn patience these things take ages.
Guy I work with was printing a full size replica of his head (from a laser scan). I can't remember how long he said it took, but it wasn't quick. He'd already done several smaller versions to work out where material could be omitted and placement of the mounting tube.
Even bland can be a type of character :wave:
hilldweller

Post by hilldweller »

I've looked into 3D printing a lot, but not yet bought one........

Brian
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

As above, with the kind of printer you have you can't print on top of fresh air. You can get printers which are able to, but not the one you've got.

The software will probably have a tool which tells you what you can print, normally they have a red-yellow-green sort of visualisation feature.

The tech is pretty impressive now, we buy printed parts to go straight into OEM cars.
Eclipse

Post by Eclipse »

In Cura there is a feature called "Enable Supports" which will print sacrificial filament under and inside the mug handle allowing it to print
normally, after the mug finishes printing the Supports break away very easily and cleanly.
it's a feature you should get familiar with as you will use it often.

This is personal preference but you might like to in Cura hit the Marketplace button at the top right and install the Sidebar GUI
it will give you access to settings much easier.

Be prepared for a fair amount of frustration with the Ender 3 at the beginning as you will come across various problems, mostly related to
first layer issues but stick with it and you will end up with a reliable printer you know the in's and outs of.

Two YT channels which will have covered nearly every problem you come across and have extensive videos
covering everything about the Ender 3 and Cura are-

Teaching Tech
https://www.youtube.com/c/TeachingTech

CHEP
https://www.youtube.com/user/beginnerelectronics

Ender 3's are pretty good at bridging, this video shows you an example of it