The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
slowsider

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:50 pm
slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm
There weren't any other European countries then.
And we're all descended from Africans.
HTH the narrative.
We have to have labels for them otherwise it gets quite long to describe who people are....the tribe that come from the southern part of what will in the future be England but they're not English because...blah...blah.

Try using those labels every time you want to reference a certain group of people from a certain place. It's easy to reference borders that we know exist today and say those tribes from those European countries, because then its clear who we're talking about.

If you can't keep up then start reading history covering 55BC to somewhere around the battle of Hastings and then we'll talk.
'Britons' sufficed in your other post - we kept up.
If you've read all that history then use the relevant regional terms. We'll manage to figure it out.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm Are we re-fighting Brexit? Again?

Get over it, we have left. Right decision? Time will tell, but it will take 5-10 years before the answer emerges.
Yeah because new evidence has come to light - it was the ancient britons fault apparently.
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 pm Yeah because new evidence has come to light - it was the ancient britons fault apparently.
NEW evidence? The Cornish (and the Welsh) have been telling everyone for centuries that those bloody britons were shite.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:10 pm
DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 pm Yeah because new evidence has come to light - it was the ancient britons fault apparently.
NEW evidence? The Cornish (and the Welsh) have been telling everyone for centuries that those bloody britons were shite.
:lol: Also, those rufty-tufty vikings that just did rape and pillage? Apparently, the Britons in the North East breathed a sigh of relief when they turned up because they could do organising and civic stuff - instead of just painting themselves blue and trying to knock seven bells out of each other. Imagine, the Vikings were a civilising influence on the Geordies et al!!
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Count Steer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:22 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 5:10 pm
:lol: Also, those rufty-tufty vikings that just did rape and pillage? Apparently, the Britons in the North East breathed a sigh of relief when they turned up because they could do organising and civic stuff - instead of just painting themselves blue and trying to knock seven bells out of each other. Imagine, the Vikings were a civilising influence on the Geordies et al!!
Handy bit of woad safety...
JackyJoll

Post by JackyJoll »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:52 pm
Cousin Jack wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:22 pm Are we re-fighting Brexit? Again?

Get over it, we have left. Right decision? Time will tell, but it will take 5-10 years before the answer emerges.
Yeah because new evidence has come to light - it was the ancient britons fault apparently.
The toxic ancient- I knew it!
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Don't forget about the toxic northern poor! ;)
To a kid looking up to me, life ain't nothing but bitches and money.
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 am
Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 am
DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am I think you'd have to be terribly obtuse, malevolent or just plain stupid...
You'd have to be all those things to be blinded to other news stories because of this one.

It's a story in a newspaper*, it's not a Machiavellian plan by rich people to steal your children's kidneys.

*and in this instance I'm impressed because it is actually news, not some made-up bollocks from Facebook.
It's fodder for the masses. It's the masses of proud senior tories and disaffected labour shanty town fules who got Brexit over the line remember.
Front pages of the increasingly bottom-feeding popular press is either angsty wind-up nonsense about 'PCR Test Shambles'.
Or
Hooray I can buy a pound of apples.

With a different emphasis on Yay/Nay depending on the audience they want to rile up or congratulate.
So, yes. And, yes, I do think there's a lot of politician's who welcome these stories, while they scurry about fecking up something else.

In this case - really, who fecking cares? - if the imperial/metric pricing & display rules was ever a genuine problem that ship has sailed decades ago, apart from an arsey Sunderland greengrocer and his 3 customers. We can still order a pint of mild in the pub and the people that are bothered about buying fruit in kilos are probably easily confused by numbers in general.
Funny thing is that it's still quite common en France to ask for "un livre" of something. Yeah, I know it means the same as half a kilo, but the fact is that it's a convenient measure of quantity.

But nothing to see here, move on.
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno
Docca

Post by Docca »

A8C3E9CB-13DD-4A3C-8602-E618DAC3BBB2.jpeg
A8C3E9CB-13DD-4A3C-8602-E618DAC3BBB2.jpeg (565.26 KiB) Viewed 342 times
Potter

Post by Potter »

demographic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 pm
Yup, the National Insurance hike, the Afghanistan rout and something else I can't remember.
It's clearly worked on you, you can't even remember what it is you've been distracted from :lol:

You fellas make my day, it's apparently a distraction and you're all too clever to be distracted by it, but here we are, you grabbed it with both hands and you're still going on about it, multiple pages later moaning and posting Twitter screenshots specifically about the distraction, that you've seen through and isn't a distraction to you :lol:
Count Steer

Post by Count Steer »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:43 am
Yup, the National Insurance hike, the Afghanistan rout and something else I can't remember.
... you're still going on about it, multiple pages later moaning and posting...
Uh-huh.
Doubt is not a pleasant condition.
But certainty is an absurd one
Voltaire
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Potter wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:43 am
It's clearly worked on you, you can't even remember what it is you've been distracted from :lol:

You fellas make my day, it's apparently a distraction and you're all too clever to be distracted by it, but here we are, you grabbed it with both hands and you're still going on about it, multiple pages later moaning and posting Twitter screenshots specifically about the distraction, that you've seen through and isn't a distraction to you :lol:
You so voted for it. :lol:
Potter

Post by Potter »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:01 am
You so voted for it. :lol:
I voted for what?
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

bm.jpg
bm.jpg (103.46 KiB) Viewed 289 times
Mussels

Post by Mussels »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 ambm.jpg
Whoever created that has never listened to a leave voter, just treated them with contempt. That's a lot of the reason remain lost.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 amRacist Brexiteer stereotype
Kicked them out??? Of the supposed 3 million in the UK at the time of the vote, 5 million have applied and been given the right to stay.
Asian Boss

Post by Asian Boss »

Mussels wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 4:08 pm
Asian Boss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 8:51 ambm.jpg
Whoever created that has never listened to a leave voter, just treated them with contempt. That's a lot of the reason remain lost.
I know. It was really all about fish.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

Asian Boss wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:20 pm I know. It was really all about fish.

Which is a shame cos Brexit has shafted the fishermen, and the farmers, a significant amount of manufacturing and some banking.
Be right though cos it'll all come good right about the same time nuclear fusion power comes online.
:thumbup:
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

I don't even like fish. Why can't they catch more chips?
irie

Post by irie »

DefTrap wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:49 pm I don't even like fish. Why can't they catch more chips?
There's a world shortage of chips, sorry. :(
"Truth does not change because it is, or is not, believed by a majority of the people." - Giordano Bruno