The Brexit thread

Current affairs, Politics, News.
Mr. Dazzle

Re: The Brexit thread

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

It's just plain populist bollox innit.

Anyone who actually cares will be dead soon. So it's not even that populist. Niche-ist? Is that a thing?
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

Meh, I never stopped asking for a 1/4 of spogs and herbals, always drank pints, always did fuel by the gallon, drove by the mile and woodwork in imperial measurements.

Hey ho, guess I'll be dead soon.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am I think you'd have to be terribly obtuse, malevolent or just plain stupid...
You'd have to be all those things to be blinded to other news stories because of this one.

It's a story in a newspaper*, it's not a Machiavellian plan by rich people to steal your children's kidneys.

*and in this instance I'm impressed because it is actually news, not some made-up bollocks from Facebook.
MrLongbeard

Post by MrLongbeard »

It was released to hide the news that France have been gazumped on a nuclear sub contract.

Yambo

Post by Yambo »

Yay! Brexit good news!
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 am
DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am I think you'd have to be terribly obtuse, malevolent or just plain stupid...
You'd have to be all those things to be blinded to other news stories because of this one.

It's a story in a newspaper*, it's not a Machiavellian plan by rich people to steal your children's kidneys.

*and in this instance I'm impressed because it is actually news, not some made-up bollocks from Facebook.
It's fodder for the masses. It's the masses of proud senior tories and disaffected labour shanty town fules who got Brexit over the line remember.
Front pages of the increasingly bottom-feeding popular press is either angsty wind-up nonsense about 'PCR Test Shambles'.
Or
Hooray I can buy a pound of apples.

With a different emphasis on Yay/Nay depending on the audience they want to rile up or congratulate.
So, yes. And, yes, I do think there's a lot of politician's who welcome these stories, while they scurry about fecking up something else.

In this case - really, who fecking cares? - if the imperial/metric pricing & display rules was ever a genuine problem that ship has sailed decades ago, apart from an arsey Sunderland greengrocer and his 3 customers. We can still order a pint of mild in the pub and the people that are bothered about buying fruit in kilos are probably easily confused by numbers in general.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:51 am
It's fodder for the masses. It's the masses of proud senior tories and disaffected labour shanty town fules who got Brexit over the line remember.
Front pages of the increasingly bottom-feeding popular press is either angsty wind-up nonsense about 'PCR Test Shambles'.
Or
Hooray I can buy a pound of apples.

With a different emphasis on Yay/Nay depending on the audience they want to rile up or congratulate.
So, yes. And, yes, I do think there's a lot of politician's who welcome these stories, while they scurry about fecking up something else.

In this case - really, who fecking cares? - if the imperial/metric pricing & display rules was ever a genuine problem that ship has sailed decades ago, apart from an arsey Sunderland greengrocer and his 3 customers. We can still order a pint of mild in the pub and the people that are bothered about buying fruit in kilos are probably easily confused by numbers in general.
I'm tempted to agree, but no one gives a shit about real news, every day on planet earth about 25,000 people starve to death, but no one gives a shit, people are too busy moaning about their rights to roam or how much Boris spent on wallpaper, so this news (which is a little victory for the UK) is about as valid as anything else I've seen posted on here.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:48 am Ugh, like the blue passport it's just another example of pointless chest beating pandering to the Brexit senior citizens.

Seriously, outside of niche industry, most people under 60 could care less. Under 30s must think it's mental.

May as well reintroduce £sd, groats, florins and thruppeny bits as well. Because it makes you feel safe to remember a time when there weren't any snowflakes and furriners knew their place.
Doesn't £sd date back to a different bunch of forriners? The Romans - librum sestertius denarius ;)
Potter

Post by Potter »

Funny you should mention the Romans, when they exited the country sometime after 400AD, the southern English (although they weren't called that then) went whining to them to come back, Gildas called it The Groans of the Britons, he also recorded that they were so intent on infighting that they were basically useless to defend their homeland.
The Venerable Bede said that when the cowardice of the Britons became apparent the other nations just turned up and took/did whatever they wanted.

They could have been writing that today.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:38 pm Funny you should mention the Romans, when they exited the country sometime after 400AD, the southern English (although they weren't called that then) went whining to them to come back, Gildas called it The Groans of the Britons, he also recorded that they were so intent on infighting that they were basically useless to defend their homeland.
The Venerable Bede said that when the cowardice of the Britons became apparent the other nations just turned up and took/did whatever they wanted.

They didn't really become English until the Anglo-Saxons arrived... more forriners.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:56 pm
Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:38 pm Funny you should mention the Romans, when they exited the country sometime after 400AD, the southern English (although they weren't called that then) went whining to them to come back, Gildas called it The Groans of the Britons, he also recorded that they were so intent on infighting that they were basically useless to defend their homeland.

They didn't really become English until the Anglo-Saxons arrived... more forriners.
Indeed, who, having found nothing and no one of substance, imposed their own rules, culture and language upon the people sat there moaning for their other European daddies to come back and hold their hands. Like I said, it could have been written today.

Remainers - too scared to have their own identity and manage their own country since 55BC.
Kneerly Down

Post by Kneerly Down »

Docca wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:36 am Hope you like measuring your chocolate in pounds and ounces
Seeing that my son is 22 I imagine he'll continue to label it in grams*, which ITYWF is still, and will continue to be, legal.

* though he does have some pre-71 cookery books so is perfectly able to work with both.
I imagine most young-uns could get Google/Siri to translate if they struggle. :)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:05 pm
Indeed, who, having found nothing and no one of substance, imposed their own rules, culture and language upon the people sat there moaning for their other European daddies to come back and hold their hands. Like I said, it could have been written today.

Remainers - too scared to have their own identity and manage their own country since 55BC.
Farage is busy scribbling down the gems as notes for his upcoming smash-hit novella. The glorious story of how the descendants of ancient britons and anglo-saxons fought it other over the bloody fields of Brexit. Throw in a bit of ethnic cleansing as well just to give it some spice.
Potter

Post by Potter »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm
Farage is busy scribbling down the gems as notes for his upcoming smash-hit novella. The glorious story of how the descendants of ancient britons and anglo-saxons fought it other over the bloody fields of Brexit. Throw in a bit of ethnic cleansing as well just to give it some spice.
They didn't fight it out, they dropped their drawers, bent over and let the tribes from other European countries have their way.
A bit like how you'd prefer it now.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:54 pm
DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:57 pm
They didn't fight it out, they dropped their drawers, bent over and let the tribes from other European countries have their way.
There weren't any other European countries then.
And we're all descended from Africans.
HTH the narrative.
Potter

Post by Potter »

slowsider wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 3:30 pm
There weren't any other European countries then.
And we're all descended from Africans.
HTH the narrative.
We have to have labels for them otherwise it gets quite long to describe who people are....the tribe that come from the southern part of what will in the future be England but they're not English because...blah...blah.

Try using those labels every time you want to reference a certain group of people from a certain place. It's easy to reference borders that we know exist today and say those tribes from those European countries, because then its clear who we're talking about.

If you can't keep up then start reading history covering 55BC to somewhere around the battle of Hastings and then we'll talk.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Potter wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:54 pm
Yeah, that exactly how agreeing to use a common standard for weights and measures sounds. Like happily taking one up the pipe from a furriner, like a hoo-er. I bet that's in the book.
demographic
Location: Less that 50 miles away from Moscow, but which one?

Post by demographic »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am has there been a slump in his ratings or something?

Yup, the National Insurance hike, the Afghanistan rout and something else I can't remember.
Their ratings were level pegging with Labour so they trot out some jingoistic shite to appease...somebody or other.
slowsider

Post by slowsider »

demographic wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:12 pm
DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:09 am has there been a slump in his ratings or something?

Yup, the National Insurance hike, the Afghanistan rout and something else I can't remember.
Their ratings were level pegging with Labour so they trot out some jingoistic shite to appease...somebody or other.
Potter, it would appear
Cousin Jack

Post by Cousin Jack »

Are we re-fighting Brexit? Again?

Get over it, we have left. Right decision? Time will tell, but it will take 5-10 years before the answer emerges.
Cornish Tart #1

Remember An Gof!