Has it Been a Good Biking Year for You?

Anything you like about motorbikes
Taipan

Re: Has it Been a Good Biking Year for You?

Post by Taipan »

Yorick wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm Just been thinking. Because I'm retired and the weather is perfect all year round, I don't panic and need to grab the chance while I can.

Hence I don't ride the GSXR so much.

Hmmm.
That was a quick and drastic change Mate. Still if your new look makes you happy! :lol:

Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm

That was a quick and drastic change Mate. Still if your new look makes you happy! :lol:

That couldnt possibly be Yorick

it says Humility on the tank ;)
Bigyin

Post by Bigyin »

For me its been a mixed year. Work shut down for months so barely rode at all but once we got going again managed a few miles and always tried to get in a ride or 2 just for fun each week.

Loved the Pembrey trackday again and was gutted we never made it to Portimao.

Was out yesterday on the Multistrada just for fun for a couple of hours and will keep enjoying it till the salt arrives then the Fazer will kept being ridden all winter
Yorick

Post by Yorick »

Taipan wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:01 pm
Yorick wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:30 pm Just been thinking. Because I'm retired and the weather is perfect all year round, I don't panic and need to grab the chance while I can.

Hence I don't ride the GSXR so much.

Hmmm.

Yeah. I'd need the bumming hat all year round :)
The Spin Doctor

Post by The Spin Doctor »

Grayson Perry, innit?
"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer." Henry David Thoreau
www.ko-fi.com/survivalskills www.survivalskillsridertraining.co.uk www.facebook.com/survivalskills
Whysub

Post by Whysub »

Been here in Spain for 13 months now, and have somehow managed to acquire 4 bikes. No longer commuting 600 miles a week, and just ride when I like.

Saying that, its quite warm during the days from July to September, so I ride locally either early morning or late afternoon.

Have done a few 500 mile days earlier in the year when it was cooler. I will restart exploring further afield in the country come November when its cool enough to ride all day again.

Off to Czechia on Monday to visit my mates there for a few days, so that will be a 6000 km round trip. Weather forecast isn't great, and I've not ridden in rain for 18 months. Not had any rain since the very beginning of May.
Potter

Post by Potter »

I achieved my aims, so it was a good year, despite only doing a couple of hundred miles in total.

All my bikes got MOT'ed, my Rudge engine got rebuilt after two years of being on the bench and the LC hadn't turned a wheel in three years, but they're all ready for use now at my convenience - until I come to use them sometime next summer and then they'll all need work to put them back on the road again, its like groundhog day.

For the first time ever in my life bikes aren't at the top of my hobbies list, my boat has taken over as my most enjoyable way to spend my free time and at the moment I even prefer driving my 911 than riding one of my bikes. I think the traffic management and speed cameras have killed my enjoyment of riding in the UK - which is the intention, they don't want bikes on the road and it's worked, I don't want to ride there.
Jody
Location: Biarritz in Summer, Cornwall In Autumn, Courchevel in Winter

Post by Jody »

Not really

I drove from Cornwall to Lincolnshire to swap my Superduke for a DRZ, only to find when I got there that the DRZ was on a Q plate. So I took My SD home.

Swapped my SD for a KTM250 EXC, got some SM wheels, thinking I'd be on it all summer

First time out on it the rear wheel bearing collapsed, replacement bearings sourced, but the spacer tube is the wrong size. So I have to wait until I'm back in the UK to get one made.

Bought a KTM690 on Ebay only to have the seller cancel the sale !
Slenver

Post by Slenver »

I think I've done about 100 miles this year, and about 70 of those were to the MOT and back and then tyre place and back.

Without anywhere to commute to, and weekends full of other things, I just don't seem to have a purpose for biking. Wondering whether I should just sell the bike and not bother really, it's clearly less important to me in reality than I think it is. Which makes me very sad.
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

Worst year so far I reckon - illness(es) have knocked out most of the summer for me, so I've only had it out half a dozen times all told. Rubbish. :(
weeksy
Site Admin

Post by weeksy »

DefTrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 2:04 pm Worst year so far I reckon - illness(es) have knocked out most of the summer for me, so I've only had it out half a dozen times all told. Rubbish. :(
Yeah but how was the biking?
Tricky

Post by Tricky »

Slenver wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm I think I've done about 100 miles this year, and about 70 of those were to the MOT and back and then tyre place and back.

Without anywhere to commute to, and weekends full of other things, I just don't seem to have a purpose for biking. Wondering whether I should just sell the bike and not bother really, it's clearly less important to me in reality than I think it is. Which makes me very sad.
I don't think mileage is a very good measurement, or at least it isn't for me anyway- I've got bikes that I've hardly, or even not ridden at all, but doesn't mean I necessarily want to sell or not bother with them.
I don't understand the sad bit, maybe as I've been on and around bikes since I was very young, and yes, the strength of want / level of enjoyment I've had from bikes has varied but I have never ever considered not ever having one, and don't see that ever happening until I die , surely it's what you make it isn't it, whether that be riding, fettling, polishing, or just owning a bike?

But I guess we are all different , and your bike sounds like it's not giving you any pleasure at all to own, so yes, sounds like you may as well get rid- maybe get a nice pair of slippers and a jigsaw or two with the proceeds? ;)
DefTrap

Post by DefTrap »

weeksy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 4:36 pm
Yeah but how was the biking?
Yeah about the same. ;)
Skub

Post by Skub »

Slenver wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:28 pm I think I've done about 100 miles this year, and about 70 of those were to the MOT and back and then tyre place and back.

That's about where I'd got to with the 10R. I was saddened to think I'd lost my love of biking,yet couldn't bring myself to the place where I had no bike at all. Two things happened.

Covid and authorities advising folk not to travel. All of a sudden,when it was taken away,riding the bike became important.

Then randomly,I decided to trade the bike for a new one and that really lit a fire.

If the spark is still there Slenverz,you just need to know how to blow on it.

Matron. :lol:
"Be kind to past versions of yourself that didn't know what you know now."
Walt Whitman
https://soundcloud.com/skub1955
Wscad

Post by Wscad »

My bike hasn’t been out of the garage since November 2019. Sold the triumph bobber 6 weeks ago, 17 plate, 900 miles on the clock. Triumph trophy in the garage. I sit on it every week or so and make brrrrmm brrrm noises.

I lost my biking mo jo during this covid malarkey. Hope it comes back when the clocks go forward in 2022
asmethurst99

Post by asmethurst99 »

Tricky wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:00 pm

I don't think mileage is a very good measurement, or at least it isn't for me anyway- I've got bikes that I've hardly, or even not ridden at all, but doesn't mean I necessarily want to sell or not bother with them.
I don't understand the sad bit, maybe as I've been on and around bikes since I was very young, and yes, the strength of want / level of enjoyment I've had from bikes has varied but I have never ever considered not ever having one, and don't see that ever happening until I die , surely it's what you make it isn't it, whether that be riding, fettling, polishing, or just owning a bike?

But I guess we are all different , and your bike sounds like it's not giving you any pleasure at all to own, so yes, sounds like you may as well get rid- maybe get a nice pair of slippers and a jigsaw or two with the proceeds? ;)
My yearly mileage is quite low but gives me a lot - I'll go for a pointless run on my CBR tomorrow weather permitting-
Potter

Post by Potter »

Tricky wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:00 pm
Same, I'm a bit like Slenver in that they're just don't feature too much in my life at the moment, but I've never not had a bike and when it gets like this I just mothball them until I feel like using them again.

I'm not feeling much love for road bikes atm, but I'm feeling a pull towards offroad again, so I can see us getting desert bikes this winter now my lad is back into bikes.
Le_Fromage_Grande

Post by Le_Fromage_Grande »

I've got 4 bikes, I think I do about 2000 miles a year, 3000 max, you don't have to do big miles to be happy, a 30 minute spin puts a smile on my face
Honda Owner
Mr. Dazzle

Post by Mr. Dazzle »

I've commuted a few times and run some errands on the CBR. Probably 2 or 300 miles in total.

I was planning on doing some miles on the Bonnie...but well, that didn't work out! Its currently in the dealer with its bottom end in pieces.

Much like Potter and Slenver I don't really feel much point in riding at the moment. It costs me very little to have them sat there though so no worries. I imagine I'll get out more when the auld Trumpet is running.
Noggin

Post by Noggin »

I've ridden about 6 times in 4 years and not at all for a bit over 2 years. This year has probably been the worst for missing it mentally, but other stuff has affected the mental side too so can't blame it all on not biking!

But I did get all excited about having a bike again and trying to re-learn to ride. Sadly, failed paperwork (the import paper I applied for was rejected because I couldn't 'prove' the bike had been here before 31 Dec 2020) and needing to save money to import the Monster (and knowing it will still take months through the system) kyboshed that :(

Equally - in my heart of hearts I do realise that even if I'd had a bike this summer, I would have really struggled to ride. Probably would have bloody loved it anyway, but it would have been really tough on my shoulder and arm.

Soooo - I'm adding this year to the list of missed years and I just can't wait for spring!! Will be working for someone else this winter so will be able to fund the import. Roll on March (maybe Feb if the paperwork goes through in time!!) :banana-dance:

Once I've got some confidence back, I'll be heading out any day I'm not working through the summer for a bimble - might have to find a tent to go on the back of the bike :o :o (I do so hate camping in the UK, but it's warmer and drier here so hopefully I'll change my mind!!!)

(I've also planned a visit to the UK and a TD or two to see how my arm and the rest of me holds up on track :angelic-green: :angelic-green: Must get in touch with the ACU to see if my licence can be renewed :angelic-green: :angelic-green: )
Life is for living. Buy the shoes. Eat the cake. Ride the bikes. Just, ride the bikes!! :bblonde: